PDA

View Full Version : UU members who met Jake Shimabukuro

acabooe
04-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey, I was just wondering something.

I was just wondering how many members of Ukulele Underground have, met Jake Shimabukuro, gotten something signed by him, etc.

Aloha
Acabo'oe

Poi Dog
04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
As I posted on a previous thread... http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1984

me and my kids met Jake after his concert in Ft. Lauderdale on 4/20. I got both mine and my sons uke signed and he signed a CD that I bought there. So even though I voted on the FIRST selection - I'm also in the second one too. LOL

http://poi-dog.net/ukulele/jakeandblalacks.jpg

Ukulele_Junkie
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
sorry its so blurry
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/EasT_StaR/concert.jpg

jello
04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
sorry its so blurry
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/EasT_StaR/concert.jpg

I took this picture. So... I kinda sorta met him too!

Ukulele_Junkie
04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I took this picture. So... I kinda sorta met him too!

babe u are not good at taking pictures hahahha

jello
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
babe u are not good at taking pictures hahahha

oh whatever! that wasn't my fault. it was my camera.

sukie
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
I am going to see Jake on Sunday night. Wow! I'm pretty excited. Do I dare ask him to sign my lowly ukulele? It's just a student concert ukulele that I got in Honolulu. It seems like a fine little instrument to learn on, but to have "The Master" sign it? Will I be embarrassed?

studentaccount1
04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Met him when I was a little kid when he worked at House of Music at Ala Moana.

GX9901
04-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I am going to see Jake on Sunday night. Wow! I'm pretty excited. Do I dare ask him to sign my lowly ukulele? It's just a student concert ukulele that I got in Honolulu. It seems like a fine little instrument to learn on, but to have "The Master" sign it? Will I be embarrassed?

I think most people ask Jake to sign lower end ukes. I doubt many actually ask him to sign an expensive Kamaka or something like that. You should absolutely ask him to sign your student uke.

Me? I'm going to try to have him sign my cigar box (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2007/12/sssssssmoookin.html)uke this Sunday! Can't wait! :D

Ukulele_Junkie
04-22-2008, 03:59 PM
i had him sign my 15 dollar ukulele from philippines :D, But i wish he would come back to washington state so i can get my kala signed.

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-22-2008, 04:13 PM
none of the above :)

one day thoguh

Dominator
04-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been fortunate enough to meet and spend time with Jake a number of times. These pics are from the second time I saw Jake at this same Border's store and the first time I acutally introduced myself to him. This was about 3 or 4 months after the famous Weeps video from Central Park was posted on the Ukulele Disco site. I had been working furiously on the tab and just finished it days before this concert.

In this pic I am playing a snippet of Weeps for Jake on my Fluke.
http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/P6121258.JPG

And this pic is right after I presented Jake with a copy of the transcription. It was an awesome day to say the least. Too bad the pic turned out so blurry.
http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/P6121259.JPG

dakine2009
04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
He used to live right next to my old school so one day, before he became huge and started traveling, he was riding his skateboard in Kaimuki to the post office. Being quite immature, my friends and I grabbed a piece of paper and had him sign it for us. He even let us ride his long board around the library parking lot. He's one of the coolest, most talented guys I've ever met.

tripl3thr33
04-22-2008, 06:57 PM
i got my uke signed and it came off, stupid me. but i still got his gently weeps cd signed teehee

Fred Miu
04-22-2008, 07:03 PM
my uke and my cd signed by jake.

Vroom
04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I wish!

I might be going to his show thats a part of the roots & blues festival in salmon arm, BC (in canada) on the 17th of august...

but im working the whole summer to save for college so i dont know...

rayan
04-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Since I guess this is kind of turning into a Jake experience thread. I'll tell you about the first time I met him back in 1999. Keep in my that at this time, Jake is not the superstar famous Jake that everyone knows.

My friends and I were huge Pure Heart(Jake's band at the time) fans in high school. So much so, that when we found out that they were flying to Kauai to do a show at Borders Books and Music, we decided we need to get there super early. This was Pure Heart we're talking about, how can the place NOT be packed.

So we got there at like 9:00 in the morning, right when the place opened. Pure Heart was scheduled to play around 2:00pm or 3:00pm. So we waited there at Borders. Man we were so smart, we got there early.... or so we thought.

When 1:30 rolled around, we were pretty much the only people there who even knew Pure Heart was going to be performing. We watched them set up. They played their set and for us it was like watching the Beatles play in the 60s. It was scrumtrulecent.

After their show, they were at a table, signing autographs and taking pictures. We went up to take a picture with them and then Jake said, "We heard you guys were here really early"

We were kind of embarrassed. Being the ONLY people who waited for them. Then Jon Yamasato, the lead singer said, "Hey what are you guys doing tonight? You wanna come over to the hotel room and jam with us?" They gave us their room # and told us to stop by later.

We nearly pooped our pants in excitement. I remember driving back to my parents house and busting in the door screaming that I was going to go play music with my idols. My dad was like, "Yeah right" and my girlfriend at the time came into the house and said, "yeah they are..."

I grabbed my guitar and flew back out the door and drove as fast as I could to the hotel to meet them with my friends.

I remember when we got there, the first time we called they didn't answer the phone. We were crushed. Then by chance, Jake and Lopaka came walking by and saw us in the lobby. They invited us to go up to the room.

Needless to say, Jamming with someone whos music you really admire is something I hope you all can experience. Jake was a super nice guy back then and still is today. In fact, because of the fact that we showed up super early to a show that noone else cared about, both him and Jon remembered me many years later when I eventually moved back to Oahu after college.

Theres tons more stories about I could tell about what a nice guy Jake is, like the time he bought lunch for all of Aldrine's friends because he didn't eat lunch yet himself and didn't want to eat alone, But those will all have to wait for another time.

Damn this post is ginormous.

jello
04-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Aw, that was a really awesome story! :)

KAWIKA27
04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
ima check him out when he goes to el camino then i can put it on this thred any one else going?

KAWIKA27
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Since I guess this is kind of turning into a Jake experience thread. I'll tell you about the first time I met him back in 1999. Keep in my that at this time, Jake is not the superstar famous Jake that everyone knows.

My friends and I were huge Pure Heart(Jake's band at the time) fans in high school. So much so, that when we found out that they were flying to Kauai to do a show at Borders Books and Music, we decided we need to get there super early. This was Pure Heart we're talking about, how can the place NOT be packed.

So we got there at like 9:00 in the morning, right when the place opened. Pure Heart was scheduled to play around 2:00pm or 3:00pm. So we waited there at Borders. Man we were so smart, we got there early.... or so we thought.

When 1:30 rolled around, we were pretty much the only people there who even knew Pure Heart was going to be performing. We watched them set up. They played their set and for us it was like watching the Beatles play in the 60s. It was scrumtrulecent.

After their show, they were at a table, signing autographs and taking pictures. We went up to take a picture with them and then Jake said, "We heard you guys were here really early"

We were kind of embarrassed. Being the ONLY people who waited for them. Then Jon Yamasato, the lead singer said, "Hey what are you guys doing tonight? You wanna come over to the hotel room and jam with us?" They gave us their room # and told us to stop by later.

We nearly pooped our pants in excitement. I remember driving back to my parents house and busting in the door screaming that I was going to go play music with my idols. My dad was like, "Yeah right" and my girlfriend at the time came into the house and said, "yeah they are..."

I grabbed my guitar and flew back out the door and drove as fast as I could to the hotel to meet them with my friends.

I remember when we got there, the first time we called they didn't answer the phone. We were crushed. Then by chance, Jake and Lopaka came walking by and saw us in the lobby. They invited us to go up to the room.

Needless to say, Jamming with someone whos music you really admire is something I hope you all can experience. Jake was a super nice guy back then and still is today. In fact, because of the fact that we showed up super early to a show that noone else cared about, both him and Jon remembered me many years later when I eventually moved back to Oahu after college.

Theres tons more stories about I could tell about what a nice guy Jake is, like the time he bought lunch for all of Aldrine's friends because he didn't eat lunch yet himself and didn't want to eat alone, But those will all have to wait for another time.

dang thats so cool i can only wish to be as lucky

Dominator
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM

That's what I refer to as "making memories". Awesome story Ryan.

Poi Dog
04-22-2008, 08:13 PM
I think most people ask Jake to sign lower end ukes. I doubt many actually ask him to sign an expensive Kamaka or something like that. You should absolutely ask him to sign your student uke.

Me? I'm going to try to have him sign my cigar box (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2007/12/sssssssmoookin.html)uke this Sunday! Can't wait! :D

I got him to sign my Koaloha Tenor - which is a little on the higher end of ukes. But - yeah, it doesn't matter what kine uke you got... just get 'um signed by the master. :D

davoomac
04-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I went to Jake's Concert here on Guam and got to meet him right after. I was so impressed with how he really took his time with each one of the fans that wanted to meet him. You could really tell how humble he was and how he appreciated everyone's kind words.

Click on the thumbnails for videos!
Here's Jake saying whats up to the ukulele underground:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/qXqURFybNzE/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qXqURFybNzE)

Here's Jake on Guam with a young fan
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2Evm7CCKIjY/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Evm7CCKIjY)

Here's us waiting in line to meet Jake!
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/pIKeK_GwwA8/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pIKeK_GwwA8)

You can see my pic with jake in my sig and my signed uke and ticket! He actually signed my ukulele twice because I went to his ukulele clinic the next day.

dnewton2
04-23-2008, 01:48 AM
I haven't met Jake, maybe when he comes to town this fall. But i have a question, sorta off topic. What are his shows like. I am used to shows where everyone is up dancing and moving around. Is it more chill with people relaxing sitting in their chairs or what. Also I guess it is ok to bring a uke to a show?

davoomac
04-23-2008, 02:16 AM
I haven't met Jake, maybe when he comes to town this fall. But i have a question, sorta off topic. What are his shows like. I am used to shows where everyone is up dancing and moving around. Is it more chill with people relaxing sitting in their chairs or what. Also I guess it is ok to bring a uke to a show?

The show I went to was in a hotel ballroom everyone seated. It was pretty chill at the show. Everyone LOVES jake so there was lots of cheering, but everyone is seated in their chairs.

Definitely bring ukulele! just don't play it during the performance lol
I brought my ukulele and Jake was happy to sign it.

UkeNinja
04-23-2008, 03:05 AM
I saw Jake at a concert when there was a Hawaiian market at some shopping mall here in Japan. Nearly bought me a hula skirt.

I was... oh... perhaps 50 meters away, too crowded to even be in the hall he was playing in but looking over the heads of those in front of me. Jake was tiny, his ukulele very mini from that distance but he played a good gig. I took a picture but was made to erase it by the "security"...
On top of that, my only ukulele experience then was a $10 "if-you-can-repair-it-you-can-have-it" cheapie during elementary school... A very non-experience, but it fits the thread ;)

hoosieruke
04-23-2008, 03:07 AM
We had Jake at the MidWest UkeFest a few years ago. He made a stop during his tour and could not commit until the last minute. We never put him on the bill. He was a surprise final act. My only requirement of him was tolisten to my children's group, the Key Strummers. We snuck him into the balcony and then onn to dinner.

My students discovered him back stage later in the show. He was fantastic with them! He signed ukes, told stories and just hung out.

An audiencemember andfriend is a huge Jake friend. Jake needed a driver, so I volunteered her. He sat in the back seat and played for her as he was driven about town and to the airport.

A great guy!!

UkuCouS
04-23-2008, 03:28 AM

If I ever meet Jake, I'll definitely make him sign my Kanile'a, this is not a question of how expensive your uke is, Jake is the man !

acabooe
04-23-2008, 03:53 AM

No shame Yeah.

I think that he is just stoked that the Ukulele world is exploding like it is.
I think that he would take it as a compliment for you to ask him.
No shame.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

acabooe
04-23-2008, 04:10 AM

Just like Davoo said, it was a pretty laid back environment at the concert that I went to in Dallas.
Everyone sat in chairs, and the room was dead silent while he played.
Then when he finished, there were lots of claping and cheers. At the end of his show, he got a standing ovation, then my wife and I kept shouting Hana Hou, & he did one more song ( very humble guy ).
After the show, he said that he had nothing else to do that night, so everyone should come up and say hi.
I was very surprised how he took time to talk to everyone, with out rushing. He really wanted to be there talking to us.
When I told him that he was one of the reasons that I started playing, I looked deeply touched in his heart.
Then he signed my Kala Ukulele, and stood for a pic with me.
What an awesome night, and what a great guy.

Acabo'oe

UKESTAR
04-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Met him after concert in San Diego. Nice guy. Signed my Oscar Schmidt uke too..:D

BrianB
04-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Met him a San Antonio show. Super nice guy, signed my uke too.

BrianB
04-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Met him at a San Antonio show. Super nice guy, signed my uke too. I would upload pictures but they're to large. So I placed it as my avatar.

Big Bob
04-23-2008, 08:41 AM
I had the opportunity to shake his hand after his performance at the Moncton Capital theater in NB Canada on the 20th October 2005.He is a soft spoken and very friendly person. The unfortunate part of this story is there was only approx 100 peoples at the concert.And it only cost $27.00 in the 8th row.Even with such a small audiance his performance was 110%.He got a standing ovation and came back to play some more.We left there with most wonderful memories. My wifes favorite was Ave Maria.

Woodstocksp3
04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I wish... :(

rayan
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
For those people who did attend a Jake show in their area. How many people were at the show? Best estimate.

UKESTAR
04-24-2008, 09:01 AM
For those people who did attend a Jake show in their area. How many people were at the show? Best estimate.

Hmm..in SD at Anthology.... I would say about 150...sold out and everyone really dressed up too. Pretty classy event. Sit down dinners etc..

Aldrine Guerrero
04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I first met Jake at Borders Kauai(but not the same event that Ryan met him at) and I was also a big Pure Heart fan. He had just left the Pure Heart band and started doing solo gigs. I think it was the time that Ehime Maru came out. I was so nervous when I saw him (wouldn't anyone be? Meeting your idol for the first time?) but then I knew the people who hosted him this trip to Kauai so they told me that he was a really mellow dude and that I should just go up and talk to him. I did just that... and I was glad that I did. We were talking and he asked if I had my ukulele with me in which I said that it was in the car. I grabbed my ukulele (the lumanog custom concert) and he asked me if I wanted to come up and play a song with him. I was tripping out when he asked and it almost seemed surreal. So we practiced a bunch of songs and picked "Bodysurfing" as the song of choice (being the Pure Heart fanatic that I was) It was quite the rush and I messed up a bunch of times.

From then on, Jake and I kept in touch and every time he came down to Kauai he would give me a call. We would try and work something out that my band would open up and he would also join us on stage. After the shows, we would jam and share ideas and began pointing me in the right direction. When I moved up to Oahu, every chance that I got I would take to go and meet up with him. Every time our band had a gig, we would invite him and get him to come up and jam with us. Whenever he's in town, we'll get together and share ideas and songs. That became the lessons that I got from him. He would show me techniques and how to correctly play the instrument. He cleaned up my tone and technique.

I owe a lot to him. He's one of my biggest inspirations as far as playing the ukulele. Really chill, humble, courteous, and all around awesome dude. I hope that everyone gets the chance to see him play live and experience the energy that he emits. If you have the chance to meet him, don't hesitate, just go hahah.

Dueling ukuleles
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/bananaketchup/onstage10.jpg

Jake and Aldy hangin out
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/bananaketchup/jakecourt.jpg

Aldy takes a solo
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/bananaketchup/aldyjakeukulele.jpg

Jake takes a solo
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/bananaketchup/onstage3.jpg

FunkyPeaNutZ
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Has jake eaten your banana ketchup, Aldrine?

I met jake at his performance in palos verdes in southern cali. I could say there was about 250-300ish people. It was a great concert, and I was very impressed. I was able to talk to him for a quick minute after the show, and had a few pictures taken with him. I even got a picture with his uke. From what I got, and it seems to be the general feeling about him, is that he is very down to earth, and generally a very nice person. I'll be going to his concert next month, and hopefully I can expose my friends to his talent.

acabooe
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
The show in Dallas at The House of Blues, I don't think was sold out, but it was pretty packed.
My wife and I got there pretty early, we got seats in the second row.
By the time Jake got on stage the room was pretty stuffed.
All the seats were full, and plenty people were standing in the back.
I guess there was between 100-150 in that room.
What an awesome show.

Hey Aldrine, thats a cool story about you and Jake.
My wife and I are moving to Oahu next month, next time K Town Heros does a show there, count us in. Maybe we will be lucky enough to see Jake play a set with you guys.

Aloha

seeso
04-26-2008, 08:52 PM
I just got back from Jake's show! Whoo hoo!! :D

He was amazing. Holy crap. I have a lot of learning to do.

I saw the first of two sold out shows at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago, Illinois. Here's the picture I took!

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4724/jakeandmeov0.jpg

davoomac
04-26-2008, 10:51 PM

I saw the first of two sold out shows at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago, Illinois. Here's the picture I took!

WOO! Awesome pic seeso. So did you tell him you were part of the ukulele underground?

Fred Miu
04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Seeso, bro you look super excited to take a pic with jake haha. good stuff man!

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Seeso everytime i look at you i have to Laugh :D :D complement by the way haha P:

You just look like one of those people who arn't ever angry, just happy all round - as Fred said, very excited

good photo though :)

acabooe
04-27-2008, 03:15 AM
AAHHHHHH!

It's attack of the black shirt:p.
This is the third concert that I have seen him whear that shirt. ( two of those concerts were in pics, not taken by me )
I think that that must be his fave shirt.
I would really like to see him rockin an Ukulele Underground shirt.

seeso
04-27-2008, 06:37 AM
WOO! Awesome pic seeso. So did you tell him you were part of the ukulele underground?

I did indeed. Bosko and Honey were there too. It was crazy!

russ_buss
04-27-2008, 06:39 AM
that's a great photo seeso! all of you guys are so lucky!

Poi Dog
04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Awesome pic Seeso!

Poi Dog
04-27-2008, 11:35 AM

I would say there were about 400-500 people at the Ft. Lauderdale Show... that's my best guesstimate.

seeso
04-27-2008, 11:50 AM

There were two shows, and both were sold out. I would guess each show had at least 300-400 people.

ltlpenguin
04-27-2008, 11:50 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/mensopenguin/scene017.jpg
It's from the San Antonio show. He signed the shirt I'm holding and the lady who took this was so nice.

Nuke-ulele
04-27-2008, 12:18 PM

Seeso! I was at the same show and I am sure I saw you there...we've never met but I was sure I recognized you from your YouTube vids. You were too far for me to say anything...it was jammed in between shows! I have a pic just like that, have not downloaded it yet. Isn't Jake a nice guy? I thought so.

rayan
04-27-2008, 03:26 PM
I wonder if Jake is paid to wear that shirt at all these shows? He whole suitcase must be filled with them.

davoomac
04-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I wonder if Jake is paid to wear that shirt at all these shows? He whole suitcase must be filled with them.

When Jake was on Guam he wore his Dr. Pepper shirt. I saw him wearing that in a few videos on youtube. Endorsement deal? lol

GX9901
04-27-2008, 04:55 PM
I just returned from Jake's concert in Minneapolis. It was so cool to finally see him play live. The venue is a small restaurant/Jazz club, and it was the first of two shows. I found out really late about the concert so I had to settle for the cheap seats. It would have been nice to get a closer seat, but I'm not complaining as I didn't think I'd ever see Jake in Minnesota.

I got to meet him after the show. I've never been so star-struck! I think I was almost numb as I tried to chat with him.:p He recognized the Ukulele Underground T-shirt and I got to pose for a picture with him and got him to sign my ukulele. I had a great time. Minnesota greeted him with some light snow (it's the END OF APRIL! It's MADNESS!) so I hope it didn't scare him off from coming back sometime.

Kind of blurry picture of me and Jake:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/315059496.jpg

Autographed Bluegrass cigar box uke:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/315059493.jpg

Dominator
04-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Seeso, this is an AWESOME pic of you guys. Glad you got to finally see him live. It's just hard to describe the difference from hearing the recorded music and then witnessing it first hand. And now, I'm sure you know.

Dominator
04-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I just returned from Jake's concert in Minneapolis. It was so cool to finally see him play live. The venue is a small restaurant/Jazz club, and it was the first of two shows. I found out really late about the concert so I had to settle for the cheap seats. It would have been nice to get a closer seat, but I'm not complaining as I didn't think I'd ever see Jake in Minnesota.

I got to meet him after the show. I've never been so star-struck! I think I was almost numb as I tried to chat with him.:p He recognized the Ukulele Underground T-shirt and I got to pose for a picture with him and got him to sign my ukulele. I had a great time. Minnesota greeted him with some light snow (it's the END OF APRIL! It's MADNESS!) so I hope it didn't scare him off from coming back sometime.

Kind of blurry picture of me and Jake:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/315059496.jpg

Autographed Bluegrass cigar box uke:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/315059493.jpg

Congrats George. Hopefully, it will take more than a few snow flurries to keep him from returning. You'll get another chance someday. I'm glad you were able to see him do it live.

sukie
04-28-2008, 02:21 AM
I was at the same show last night as George. It was awesome! I got to sit right next to the stage and could watch his "hummingbird" fingers. It was incredible. Can I change my poll answer now? He signed my ukulele, signed my CD, AND to top it off he gave me a picking pattern to work on. I was able to chat with him before the show when he was finishing his pre-show stuff. He is so nice. He really like the venue so I hope that means he will return to Minneapolis sometime soon. My husband took photos but I don't know how to get them into the computer. It was just a great night.

GX9901
04-28-2008, 05:01 AM
I was at the same show last night as George. It was awesome! I got to sit right next to the stage and could watch his "hummingbird" fingers. It was incredible. Can I change my poll answer now? He signed my ukulele, signed my CD, AND to top it off he gave me a picking pattern to work on. I was able to chat with him before the show when he was finishing his pre-show stuff. He is so nice. He really like the venue so I hope that means he will return to Minneapolis sometime soon. My husband took photos but I don't know how to get them into the computer. It was just a great night.

Hi Susan, thanks again for pointing out the show to me. I'm so jealous that you got to sit next to the stage! I was sitting so far away I probably should have brought some binoculars.:p It was all good though. I really enjoyed the show. Thanks again.

Nuke-ulele
04-28-2008, 05:07 AM
http://gallery.mac.com/zakandmoira/100113/IMG_3610/web.jpg

Here is my pic. Jake is a cool guy, really nice.

LonnaB
04-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Hello everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My husband Shawn and I saw Jake in Chicago over this past weekend. We wrote up a review, which Woodshed has been kind enough to post on his blog. (anyone not know where to find it?;))

Jake is every bit as friendly as everyone says. After the 10:00 pm show, we sat and watched him talking to a lot of people. He seemed happy to be meeting each and every one of them.

One highlight that didn't make the review was getting my ukulele signed by Jake. He took it in his hands and called it beautiful! What more can a girl ask for?

I would be interested in seeing set lists for the shows that other members have seen, if anyone has them to post.

peace
LonnaB

seeso
04-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Seeso! I was at the same show and I am sure I saw you there...we've never met but I was sure I recognized you from your YouTube vids. You were too far for me to say anything...it was jammed in between shows! I have a pic just like that, have not downloaded it yet. Isn't Jake a nice guy? I thought so.

Hey, man! Cool! Too bad you didn't say hi. Do you live in Chicago? Jake is a really nice guy.

Seeso, this is an AWESOME pic of you guys. Glad you got to finally see him live. It's just hard to describe the difference from hearing the recorded music and then witnessing it first hand. And now, I'm sure you know.

Thanks, Dom! I liked the pic too. It really is quite something to see him live. I was right in the front, so I got to see his impeccable technique. Yeesh. I'll try to steal all I can. ;)

Hello everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My husband Shawn and I saw Jake in Chicago over this past weekend. We wrote up a review, which Woodshed has been kind enough to post on his blog. (anyone not know where to find it?;))

Jake is every bit as friendly as everyone says. After the 10:00 pm show, we sat and watched him talking to a lot of people. He seemed happy to be meeting each and every one of them.

One highlight that didn't make the review was getting my ukulele signed by Jake. He took it in his hands and called it beautiful! What more can a girl ask for?

I would be interested in seeing set lists for the shows that other members have seen, if anyone has them to post.

peace
LonnaB

Hey Lonna! I read the review, nice work and great pictures. I'll download my pics onto my computer tomorrow and send them to you. I'm sure we'll see each other again.

Peace.

Aldrine Guerrero
04-28-2008, 06:41 PM

Wow two awesome people in one photo! I can't handle the awesomenesssss hahahaha

LonnaB
04-29-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey Lonna! I read the review, nice work and great pictures. I'll download my pics onto my computer tomorrow and send them to you. I'm sure we'll see each other again.

Peace.

Hey seeso!

Did you get the pictures I sent you yesterday?

Shawn and I had a blast hanging with you. I've started working out Sugaree and Tangled Up in Blue!

peace

ToeBone
04-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I did a uke workshop with him a few years ago:
http://terryspad.com/Pages/Images/Jake_JAT_Sm.jpg

acabooe
04-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey ToeBone,

That's awesome!
If you don't mind telling, could we have a few details?
Where, When, How many people were there, what kinna stuff did he teach, etc. ?

Aloha

ToeBone
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Acaboe,

This was in San Jose held at a Japanese cultural center around 2003. Jake was in town to play at the open-air Shoreline Theater in MountainView, a town nearby. At the time I think Jake had only one solo CD. I knew him best for his work with Pure Heart. He was great - super friendly and very self effacing (like most people say).

There were maybe 15 people. My wife was there but just watched from the back. He tried to teach us how he plays and how to get into the music; even to exaggerate getting into it. He showed us some of the fundamentals of soloing. Jake played one song solo at the end. I can hear the tune in my head right now but don't recall the name. I do remember that Andy Andrews and Michelle Kiba were there.
I got to play Jake's uke (a slot head Kamaka tenor, high G).

The show later was amazing. I've always told people to hold out your opinion of Jake until you see him play. No one leaves a Jake show thinking he's a wanker.

OK, here's another picture of me. Who am I with this time??
http://terryspad.com/Pages/Images/Eddie_TET_Sm.jpg

deach
04-29-2008, 10:33 AM
This thread gives me Jake-envy.

GX9901
04-29-2008, 10:59 AM

You can always check Jake's tour schedule (http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/?t=tour)to see if he's coming to a venue near you.

deach
04-29-2008, 11:13 AM
You can always check Jake's tour schedule (http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/?t=tour)to see if he's coming to a venue near you.

So how do you get to meet him? Does he always make time for his fans?

NotoriousMOK
04-29-2008, 12:21 PM

Okay, I'll take a stab, though I'm no expert, but is that by chance Sam Kamaka Jr.?

Dominator
04-29-2008, 12:48 PM

I'm gonna guess Eddie Kamae?

Dominator
04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
So how do you get to meet him? Does he always make time for his fans?

I've seen Jake several times and he has always made time to meet and greet with the fans after the show (and occasionally before and after the show). I too hope this doesn't change in the future.

menehunenyc
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Good grief youre a groupie...hahaha

ToeBone
04-30-2008, 04:34 AM
Dom, you got it. The Great, The Legend, The First Son of Hawaii, Eddie Kamae.
Plays a double puka baritone, but I don't know the maker.

dnewton2
04-30-2008, 04:52 AM

Don't worry deach he is coming to DC in September i think. The Kennedy Performing Arts Center or something.

deach
04-30-2008, 04:59 AM
Don't worry deach he is coming to DC in September i think. The Kennedy Performing Arts Center or something.

I think he'll be here 3 times this year. Once in Bethesda in June and September (again) with the Jimmy Buffet at Nissan.