strange buzzing sound on the E string

dakineukulele

Reaction score
California(during the year), Hawaii(summer months)
hi all. i have a problem that showed up recently on my ukulele...after it dropped to the ground from a height of about 2 ft or so from my bed.

i have a feeling it might be a loose screw, but i cant be sure. do you guys know what it might be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whD32w3ctSw

any help /insight/tips you can give would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

p.s. i should also add that it is ONLY the E string that is doing this. The sound appears to be coming from the end part of the ukulele where the nuts and screws are. how would one fix this? thanks again!

Last edited:
Some tuning pegs have a sort of little inside washer with little teeth to grab the wood, if that is loose it willrattle and cause a buzzing noise. Maybe try taking the tuning peg off the uke and see what's going on.

As you seem a little less than confident, perhaps you'd like to post a pic of your tuners before doing any unscrewing, just so we can be sure what it is you'll be adjusting...? :)

It's easier to advise after having a look. Sometimes we can think we know what someone is describing, only to realise later that we were mistaken!

OK... I mean, to realise that I was mistaken... :eek:

It's hard to diagnose without actually checking it out, but I've seen tuning pegs where the protruding part that the strings are attached to is a little loose and can cause buzzing. If this part hit the something when it was dropped, then that could be the problem.

Any chance that uke has a truss rod? A loose truss nut will rattle and sound for all the world like a bad tuner.

Hmm... Will's right, a truss rod can buzz if it is loose or broken, but the majority of ukes don't have truss rods.

A solid reinforcement rod, metal or carbon fibre, will pretty much never rattle. They are solid and can't really come loose.

An adjustable rod will have an adjustment at one end for a wrench or screwdriver. This can be a hole just above the nut, usually covered by a small, screw-on cover. Alternatively the adjustable nut/screw can be at the other end, where the neck is glued into the body block. If that were the case you'd be able to see it by looking into the soundhole at an angle towards the neck.

If you wrap the headstock and tuners in a towel (to mute any possible rattle from loose headstock hardware) and shake the uke, a broken/loose truss rod, if the uke has one, should still rattle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom