Hunt Grail's or buy Relic's?

wearymicrobe

Reaction score
Kind of odd title I know but I wanted to throw the question out for those of use who collect, or have UAS.

Would you rather go out and collect a good number of instruments in the 750$-2K range from a variety of modern builders in the sizes that you play?

Or have one perfect impossible to reproduce 1 of 1 in every size and no more.

Reason I ask is that I have a tenor that I found that is just amazing, price is really high and I would have to sell off all of my modern builder tenors to acquire it.

If I bought it I would have a S.Tenor a Tenor and a Concert all in the grail range but no middle of the road stuff. I would then focus on getting a soprano from Joe or john made the way I want and call my UAS done.

Quantity is good, but the rarity of an item makes it completely priceless. Plus you're going to be saying for the rest of your life, "Yeah you see that ukulele right there, it's one of a kind and it's all mine." haha :D

Holy grails are nice, but I like having multiple ukes just because I like having different things to play at different times.

...both...

At this price point no way to have both right now, I can always buy back the lower rung stuff later.

I want to add the new one would be a modern builder and pretty much a player instrument with durability to gig.

Just a idea.
Koolau400front2.jpg

If it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, go for it. The newer stuff is a lot easier to find.

Holy smokes, that is one gorgeous Ko'olau! :D Gotta love the bearclaw spruce. What are the back and sides, Wearymicrobe?

Master Grade Koa, with back and top in MOP purling, its the only tenor that I have played that I really like above the one I have. The one I want is just like this but with a vine inlay.

It's a difficult question to answer. The Holy Grail uke should be so good that it's the only uke you reach for anyway, but I also like variety. For me, 90% of my uke playing time is spent on my best uke, a Koa Works tenor. I should reasonably get rid of most of my other ukes, but I like having a few different ones to play even once in a while.

Is the Ko'olau series 500 in question a specific uke that you've actually played? If so, I guess that would have to be the one. If it's something you're going to order and thus haven't had hands on experience on the specific uke, I think commissoning a few high end customs (King, DaSilva, etc.) would be the better way to spend the $10k.

Is the Ko'olau series 500 in question a specific uke that you've actually played? If so, I guess that would have to be the one. If it's something you're going to order and thus haven't had hands on experience on the specific uke, I think commissoning a few high end customs (King, DaSilva, etc.) would be the better way to spend the $10k.

I have done that and I really like them, this one is closer to say 4.5k which is not to bad would be my primary player.

For $4.5k, it had better be your primary player. unless you have a lot more cash than I do.

I have made some very good cash trading ukes in and out of my collection so this would be pretty much a straight trade, having said that its not a number I would loose sleep over if it was straight cash..

Only thing would be not being able to install a pickup because there is no way I am drilling a hole into something like this. And I think a sound hole mounted one would damage the finish.

I gotta say, I think Deach is right with "both."

A really freaking amazing ukulele is really freaking amazing.

But fifteen ukes means you'll almost always have the sound you want.

I think you're setting up a false parallel here. There's no ukulele that will take the place of many, but there are some that are worth as much as many.

Last edited:
Own the ukes that make you the happiest while you're playing. I'll always want to have several ukes in the different sizes to play depending on my mood.

If I had to cut my collection down to bare minumum (one of each size), it would have to be.

Ohana sopranino
Fluke Flea (over my Martin S-O)
Kiwaya Rock Telecaster concert
Miss Maple tenor (from Bluegrass Ukes)

But I'd hate to lose my others. Don't let my wife see this post! :)

Top Bottom