PDA

View Full Version : Those blessed amateurs!

Matt Clara
10-16-2009, 02:35 AM
So, last night I fixed my neck to my cigar box body using a single wood screw (I intend to add glue later, but for now I need to figure out bridge placement so I can glue it on before printing a photo on the top). I was very pleased with how well I had lined everything up, and then realized I hadn't left the 1.6mm space for the top. I'm not afraid to admit that a little bit of swearing ensued. Nothing too dramatic--I am an amateur, and this definitely qualifies as an amateur mistake. This morning before work I redid it, this time with three screws, 'cause one offset one just didn't look right, and I do intend for it to be opened. Came out right this time, though I need to go back and counter sink the screws so they're flush. I also need to figure out what to do with the now unused hole in the middle. I could fill it with putty, or just cut off one of the remaining screws and screw it in. That neck ain't goin' nowhere, anyway, that's for sure.

cornfedgroove
10-16-2009, 03:10 AM
take some sawdust mixed with glue and fill her up. I try to keep a box full of sawdust from the wood I use for "oopsies"

hoosierhiver
10-16-2009, 03:18 AM
take some sawdust mixed with glue and fill her up. I try to keep a box full of sawdust from the wood I use for "oopsies"

Yup, that's a good one. Works surprisingly well.

ukantor
10-16-2009, 06:12 AM
"take some sawdust mixed with glue and fill her up. I try to keep a box full of sawdust from the wood I use for 'oopsies'."

I can't believe you admitted that..................

Oh, OK then, I do it too, but don't tell anyone.

My first couple of ukes also had three screws to position/hold the neck on. On one of them, I countersank the screws right in, and blanked the heads off with wooden plugs. I used superior brass screws.

Ukantor.

UkeNukem
10-16-2009, 06:49 AM
"I used superior brass screws."

Is that so when the uke is found by archeologists 1,000 years form now the screws will not be rusted? That makes me think of being buried with a uke, but (hopefully) by the time that happens I'll have quite few.

Actually, Deaching them from my will would be cooler. Plus, I can see it now.

St. Peter - "Welcome UkeNukem! Here is your golden harp."

Me - "Thanks, Pete, but could I trade it in for a Ukulele with a solid top?"

St. Peter - "Why, yes! Your recent mass Deaching has qualified you for that upgrade."

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Is that so when the uke is found by archeologists 1,000 years form now the screws will not be rusted?

In a 1,000 years, the brass screws may be the only thing left.

ukantor
10-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Just think of the debate it will provoke among archeologists and social historians. "Why did this man choose to be buried with three brass screws on his chest?" - "What was the ritual/religious significance?"

I can hardly wait!

Ukantor.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Just think of the debate it will provoke among archeologists and social historians. "Why did this man choose to be buried with three brass screws on his chest?" -

Ukantor.

They'll probably think he was just another middle class tax payer.......

Ahnko Honu
10-16-2009, 08:54 AM
They'll probably think he was just another middle class tax payer.......

Yup, being buried with his riches. :D