Fremont Blacklines on Pineapple Sunday

Uke-lahoma

Reaction score
Anyone tried this combination, yet? I've seen some posts about Blacklines on other KoAloha ukuleles.

Last edited:
I don't know if you saw this already on the other thread, but I recently put some Blacklines on my Koaloha concert.

My initial reaction was positive, but now that I've had a few days to really let it sink in, I have to say that the Worth Clears that came on it sounded better. The Blacklines make it sound more muffled and boxy to my ears. I did use the medium tension set, which are thin gauge (the A string is only .019).

It's funny, right after putting them on I thought it sounded better. Then, the more I played them, the more I missed the Clears. I'm no expert, but I feel like the Koalohas want to resonate at those higher frequencies, and the Clears seem to do that better. I think Blacklines go better with a tonewood like mahogany; something that produces a slightly darker sound (I have them on my Kiwaya soprano, and they sound good.)

If you do give it a try though, post your thoughts, because I'd like to hear someone else's opinion on the Blackline/Koaloha combo.

I've ordered some Blacklines from MGM this afternoon, and I'll give them a try on my PS. I will post my thought on what I think of them. I'll also hang onto the KoAloha clears that the PS came with, just in case. :)

I like them on my Mainland tenor.

I've ordered some Blacklines from MGM this afternoon, and I'll give them a try on my PS. I will post my thought on what I think of them. I'll also hang onto the KoAloha clears that the PS came with, just in case. :)

Cool, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I threw away the Clears I removed, because they were pretty worn, but I was unhappy enough with the change in sound to immediately order another set from Elderly (of Clear mediums.) Maybe the Fremonts sound good on a PS though, mine's a KCM-00.

I found the Fremont blacks were pretty flat and dull on my kamoa concert, I liked the Fremont Clears though.

Top Bottom