Properly using herco humidifier

mikeeG7th

Reaction score
Hi there it's getting really cold early here in NYC and I just decided to give the herco humifier a try. I use planet waves humidifier for guitars but they don't fit inside the soundhole for ukes.

Can any one tell me how good this humidifier is for ukes? Is there a proper way to place it inside the uke case? Will I still need to put an extra humidifier thru the soundhole of the uke to get enough humidification -- I mean, in addition to already having a herco in the case?

IF herco's not good or good enough, any suggestions? I don't want to crack my ukes :( Thanks for any help!

I wonder why MGM is using Humitron humidifiers instead of Herco humidifiers these days.

I wonder why MGM is using Humitron humidifiers instead of Herco humidifiers these days.

Really? I wonder. I got a uke from MGM this week and it came with a Herco. (And yeah: any advice on using it would be helpful. I have Oasis for my other ukes, live in the desert, and would like a better solution.)

Humidifier Schedule

Living in the Northeast and drier weather coming. I set an iCal (on Mac) alarm to remind me to re-soak the Herco every Monday.

I did just get a new Ko'olau in September and the Ameritage case came with a Herco and a Humidity reading think of ma jiggy. It tells me the relative humidity. I try and keep around 50%. It actually stores the high and low marks for reading them back. I have a stopwatch that can read the relative humidity as well.

I collected some information on Ukulele Care: www.curtsheller.com/ukuleleCare.shtml

Here is a great article from Stoneman Guitars titled: A Call for the Standardization of Humidity Levels at Musical Instrument Dealerships

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/STONEMANGUITARS/humidity.html

Here is what it is written on the sticker on the bottom of my Herco. Open, immerse in water for 5 minutes. Close, wipe off excess water. Repeat twice monthly. Store in case. I try to remember to do it in the first and third weeks of the month. I have them in both of my KoAlohas.
Regards,
Ray

Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll experiment with just using Herco for now and if that's not enough when it gets colder, I'll see if I need something else to put inside the sound hole.

Top Bottom