post requirement for marketplace

leftovermagic84

Reaction score
So there's what looks like the second scam by the same person up in the marketplace right now, both IDs were low post numbers. Is there a way to require a certain number of posts before somebody can list in the marketplace for our protection?

Marketplace requirements

I have noticed a few really unsavory instances of fraud or perceived fraud that have been expertly dealt with by our awesome mods.

I belong to another (much bigger) forum on which a member is required to be a member for [N] days AND have [N] posts before they are allowed to post a for sale ad. They can buy and they can make "wanted to buy" posts, but they can't offer anything for sale or trade until a predetermined post count and time establishes at least some credibility and membership in the community.

Has this been proposed or considered here at UU? Do we have the moderator presence we would need to have those threads locked quickly enough to be effective if Ukulele Underground adopted this type of policy? (Mods?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just about to post that! haha
15 post minimum I say!
... relevant posts too.

There has been a thread about making rules for the marketplace, nothing really came of it.

Here it is.

I think for the most part there have not been any successful scams, people here seem to always sniff them out. That is not to say some marketplace rules wouldn't help keep scammers from being successful.

the thread just got deleted, thanks mods...but I'd watch out, He made 3 sn's lately, all with drew and 671 babiidrew671, andrew671, and drew671....he's a crafty devil....:D

I'd actually put it at like 50 or more, it's pretty easy to rack up 15 in a night and start spamming...

:agree: 50 at a minimum that way people won't sign up just sell something.

Over at "my other place," we have an area called "Introductions" where new users are required to post and tell us a little bit about themselves. Posting there are hand-moderated, and users can't post anywhere else until they have an approved post there.

It's cut the spam problem waaaaaay down.

--Mark

Looks like Seeso is already on top of the latest scam. Thanks Seeso!

Wait, I just got an idea. User requires a picture with his/her username in the picture (not photoshopped) with the ukulele for sale or a video with the person talking about it.

On another forum board I'm a part of (Sole Collector), if you're going to sell ANYTHING at all you MUST...

Place a sign with your username on it in every picture that you post up if you plan on selling. (People also do it even if they're just showing some new shoes or clothes they got, haha).

I mean, I saw that other thread - he basically stole the pic and used it as his own. I think it'd be a good idea to do this (referring to placing a sign with your username on it).

+ The minimum post as well (I believe they enforce this rule as well...)

There goes my :2cents:

I think it'd be nice to have a minimum post requirement before starting a thread in the marketplace, after the recent events. I think something like 15 posts or so, not too high, should be good enough to do the job, otherwise, it may just increase spam from the scammers who really want to get in. As for requiring pics with screen names, I don't think its really that necessary, since people may be trying to use the same pics in multiple listings on say Craigslist or Ebay.

Another good system I have seen is buyer/seller feedback built into vBulletin. However, I don't think that'd work too well here due to the relatively low volume of transactions per member.

well, the thing is... who says this faker can't spam... to get X amount of posts...

I think we should link a paypal link or something. Let's say if you list post anything on Marketplace, you have to submit a paypal account. Furthermore, you should have some history, and it must be traceable. If it's not, I would suggest you do not conduct business with this person. I realize there are going to be some noobs out there who don't have any history, which is fine... but if they don't have history, the person who doesn't have history must pay for shipping first(a deposit). Once the payment is received, then the ukulele can be shipped. Here's the thing though, you must provide a physical address and phone number along with the paypal acct. It is then up to the seller/buyer to do the research. The buyer doesn't have to worry about being cheated... since it's against federal law to use fake addresses and stuff like that. Once the uke is received, the deposit can be refunded. any thoughts? :)

Top Bottom