Buzz on the first frets

loofa

Reaction score
Hi I recently purchased a Lanikai LU-21p and noticed that the first fret on all four strings has a buzz to it when played. Is there any easy way to fix this? Thanks.

Either your saddle is too low, causing the strings to touch the frets higher up on the fretboard, there is a high fret on the fretboard somewhere, or your neck is warped or improperly joined to the body at a bad angle. What is the string travel distance (action) at the 12th fret? does the string travel about 1/8" or more? is so, then it's probably the neck or a high fret. If not, then a low saddle may be the culprit. Sight down the neck from the body end. The frets should be laser line level. If one sticks up, bang it down gently. Try a big rubber eraser and a lightweight hammer. If the neck seems arched when you sight down it, then you got a warped neck. if the neck looks really flat and all the frets are perfectly level, then either your saddle is too low or the neck is joined to the body at a bad angle. Either way, raising the saddle will cure the problem.

Last edited:
Either your saddle is too low, causing the strings to touch the frets higher up on the fretboard, there is a high fret on the fretboard somewhere, or your neck is warped or improperly joined to the body at a bad angle. What is the string travel distance (action) at the 12th fret? does the string travel about 1/8" or more? is so, then it's probably the neck or a high fret. If not, then a low saddle may be the culprit. Sight down the neck from the body end. The frets should be laser line level. If one sticks up, bang it down gently. Try a big rubber eraser and a lightweight hammer. If the neck seems arched when you sight down it, then you got a warped neck. if the neck looks really flat and all the frets are perfectly level, then either your saddle is too low or the neck is joined to the body at a bad angle. Either way, raising the saddle will cure the problem.

Thanks for the input. The string travel distance seemed fine (less than an 1/8") and the neck looks flat. Could it be the slots where the strings go in at the top of the neck (the nut?) because if I push really hard on any of the first frets, the buzz is almost gone.

It's possible that your strings are too low at the nut. Here's a test: take a piece of paper like a notecard or an old business card and cut some small squares. Use them as shims between the string and the nut, trying to push them into the nut slots. Play. Did that solve your problem? If so, you may need to consider building up the slots with bone dust or baking soda and superglue; or possibly placing a small shim under the nut.

If they buzz when fretted, it's not the nut. The nut will only affect the open strings.

Chasing buzzes is a tedious job that can lead you around and around. Fixing one thing can lead to the buzzes just moving elsewhere. If you don't see something obvious, I'd leave it to the professionals.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to go to my local music store and have them check it out. I am a novice at the ukulele so I rather not mess something up.

Top Bottom