PDA

View Full Version : slippery ukulele

obxtom
10-17-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm a new uker and am having trouble finding a way to stabilize my uke when I play/practice. When my left hand holds it I can't easily change chords and when my right hand is stabilizing it I can't finger-pick. I've tried the pinitwiththe forearm method and been unsuccessful. Is there a device that fits on the right thigh and cradles/holds the uke, or some kind of rubberized or tacky towel that could be draped on the right thigh?

ukeshale
10-17-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm not sure if anything like a lap cradle exists - someone here will know for sure though.

Trust me though - mere time and practise will eradicate this problem. I'll have a look around for something that might help but you could also maybe opt for a strap or an uke thong in the short term while you're adjusting to playing.

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-Classical-Flamenco-Guitar-Non-Slip-Lap-Mat-NEW_W0QQitemZ370266628468QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2009 0928?IMSfp=TL090928153003r38433

This looks like it would help. Make sure you give it a good read though, it does warn that it may leave marks on the instrument's finish.

bunnyflower
10-17-2009, 02:04 AM
I am pretty sure that mat is made of the foam-type drawer liner. You can buy a whole roll of it super cheap at any discount store! I like to keep a scrap of that stuff around just for helping to open jar lids that are stuck. It should definitely help with stopping slipping, though.

obxtom
10-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Thanks a lot. I will keep it in mind, though, as is often the case, I may have solved the problem in the meantime: with a remnant of thin rubberized shelf liner I remembered I had stashed away. As a 2 month beginner, I hope to be able to do without such help in the future.

obxtom
10-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Good call. Thanks for responding.