Help for a ukulele newcomer

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I figure that it may help if I give a slight overview of my musical experience before I start asking questions, so here it is:

I currently enjoy playing the Saxophone (been playing for 7+ years now), Ocarina(Since Late 2006, which came easily from playing Sax), and recently the Viola (Since January 2009, as I wanted to learn a Orchestral instrument). While I really love playing these three instruments, I've recently developed a love for singing, and I'd like an instrument that I can sing along with!

I arrived at the ukulele because
  1. It's more original than Piano or Guitar
  2. Definitely more portable than a Piano, and still more portable than a Guitar

I've spent some time listening to various Ukulele sound samples, and I am planning on getting a Soprano, concert, or Tenor ukulele, as I prefer the standard tuning. Are there any of these that would be best for a beginner?

Also, what are some brands I should take a look at? I'd like to keep things under $200, and I'd also like to have a case, plus some learning material!

Thank you very much,
Forest

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, Forest!! Many of us started pretty much where you are now. I too wanted to learn to sing and play at the same time, and I wanted an instrument that I could take everywhere and even play in the car while I waited for my kids to get off work. Anyway...more to your point.

Size is more personal preference than anything. I started with a soprano...moved to a concert...and then decided that the soprano was my favorite. I still wish to own a tenor someday, but I'm not in any big hurry. If you have an opportunity, find someplace where you can try each one to see which is the most comfortable.

There is a plethora of good choices in your price range. I would probably steer you towards Mainland, Kala, Ohana, Mele, or Kiwaya as excellent choices. Take a look at what MGM has. Most of his offerings come with a case and sometimes a songbook and a tuner of some sort. I highly recommend an electronic tuner (versus the pitchpipe). New strings will stretch for the first week or two and fall out of tune until they settle in. Also give this thread a look, as it is full of useful info on choosing your first ukulele.

Good luck in your quest.

Really, as far as learning goes, the size of the fretboard is the only technical difference between the three instruments. If you have background in viola, a soprano might be easiest because the space between frets is the smallest.

As far as brands, Kala and Lanakai are some good low end brands that still provide a lot of quality for your budget.

I'd check out MGM (http://myworld.ebay.com/musicguymic/) he's a member here and known for great service. He sets up ukuleles, looking at a lot of the details that may be overlooked in lower-end ukuleles, making them a lot more playable. Hope this helps

Thanks for the help everyone! Kissing, who led me here, had recommended MGM to me, but I lost the link, so thanks much for helping me find it again!

Hoosier, thanks for the Welcome message on my page, and it seems as if the only place that sells Ukuleles near me is a Guitar Center. How's their reputation regarding ukuleles?

I'm leaning toward a Concert or Tenor ukulele now, Is it true that Soprano, Concert, and Tenor ukuleles are all tuned the same, but have differences in tone due to different sizes?

Yes, traditional tuning on sopranos, concerts, and tenors is all GCEA, though its popular to tune tenors to a low G tuning instead of the traditional re-entrant tuning.

Thanks for the help everyone! Kissing, who led me here, had recommended MGM to me, but I lost the link, so thanks much for helping me find it again!

Hoosier, thanks for the Welcome message on my page, and it seems as if the only place that sells Ukuleles near me is a Guitar Center. How's their reputation regarding ukuleles?

I'm leaning toward a Concert or Tenor ukulele now, Is it true that Soprano, Concert, and Tenor ukuleles are all tuned the same, but have differences in tone due to different sizes?

Guitar Center sells stuff. That's about it. They might have a good instrument there and probably wouldn't even know it. You're better off educating yourself here and other places on the web, or trust your buying to someone who knows Ukes. Musicguymic comes to mind. You can find him on eBay, or talk to him here.

The only difference really between the three sizes is scale length and body size. There are other differences but I'm not a technical type. Obviously a tenor should be louder because it has a bigger body hence more room for the sound to resonate or something like that. I prefer tenor but I do like my concert almost as much. You can get a pretty nice laminate concert or tenor in your range with all the extras. MGM is great but I prefer ukerepublic who is a member here as well. It all comes down to personal preference. Good luck.

Thanks Dave,

That was my fear about Guitar Center, so I guess I'll be ordering from the internet! To see if I'll be comfortable with the Tenor size, I guess I will have to try out the electric guitar that my brother bought, but never got hooked on(if a guitar isn't too bad, I guess I won't have problems with any ukuleles being too big!)...

That was my fear about Guitar Center...

What part of the world do you live in? If it's civilized enough to have a GC, it might have a few "real" music stores, too. Sometimes you have to look under rocks and things to find them. :)

To see if I'll be comfortable with the Tenor size, I guess I will have to try out the electric guitar that my brother bought, but never got hooked on(if a guitar isn't too bad, I guess I won't have problems with any ukuleles being too big!)

Playing at a the first fret on a soprano is a lot like playing a guitar at the 12th fret with wider string spacings and, of course, fewer strings. If you have a capo available, clamp it on at the 5th fret and you can even try out some of the chord shapes.

--Mark

Thanks for the link KC8AFW!

It's great to hear multiple sizes of the same brand by the same player! I think it gives the best representation of each sound possible!

Unfortunately, it has made making a choice more difficult! If worse comes to worse, I guess I could start with a Soprano/Standard, as it is the cheapest, then try out the other sizes later in time!

If you have never played a string instrument before, a Tenor might be a little harder. Sopranos have a real charm. Concerts have always seemed like a comfortable size to me.

Blrfl, sorry I missed your post before! I'll grab out a Capo and try playing with it on the 5th Fret! I'll also look around more for a "real" music store! There's the one I take my Viola lessons at, but they only have one no-name Soprano.

Hoosier, sounds like there might be more reason for me to attempt to try the various sizes out first since I have experience on Viola!

For what it's worth...if you are contemplating a size based on your familiarity with the viola, the concert is probably the closest in scale length (depending on your particular viola). A standard violin would have a scale length slightly shorter than a soprano.

Edit: I just realized this is my 500th post...I'm such a PW.;)

Last edited:
Edit: I just realized this is my 500th post...I'm such a PW.;)
You go, boy! You make a lot of good posts here. :)

ForestsRequiem, I wouldn't worry much about tenor being "too big" in terms of scale, just because the viola you've played was probably different.

Lots of people play more than one stringed instrument, say guitar and mandolin. Two completely different scales, two completely different mindsets when you play them. I play both and scale is not an issue.

I'm still pretty new to uke and have only played a tenor (cause that's what I won in a drawing). I like it, but then again, I haven't played anything smaller. I play sitting down, and one advantage of the tenor is that it's big enough I can rest it on my right thigh for balance while playing.

One complaint that's come up with "breasted individuals" (i.e., females) is that sometimes larger sized body protrusions can make it more awkward to hold a smaller uke in a stable manner. YMMV. ;)

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm not worried size-wise now, and I think I'll get a Tenor or Concert! I'm just choosing which sound I prefer!

Sorry, I have another quick question...

I've noticed that ukuleles from the same maker will have rather varied prices based on the type of wood.

Are the more expensive wood models in any way superior? Or are they more expensive because the wood is more exotic?

Also, what does "solid" really mean when describing a ukulele? I feel like it doesn't mean to much to me at the moment, making the extra money seem unnecessary!

Lots of things make up the difference in price. The sound --I think that solids sound fuller than laminate ukuleles. I prefer that sound. Koa wood seems to be a scarce wood so it should cost more than a laminate. We all prefer different things though. Ukisociety loves plastic ukuleles. Are they worse or better than wood ones? He loves them. That's what counts. Size matters in price also. Smaller is cheaper. That's all I'll add to that. I'm no expert. What I do want to say is -- check out Mainland Ukuleles. One of our members sells them, but he never seems to brag about his stuff. He's low key about it. PM hoosierhiver if you are interested in his Mainlands. Many, many people here on UU and elsewhere are quite taken with them.

Lots of things make up the difference in price. The sound --I think that solids sound fuller than laminate ukuleles. I prefer that sound. Koa wood seems to be a scarce wood so it should cost more than a laminate. We all prefer different things though. Ukisociety loves plastic ukuleles. Are they worse or better than wood ones? He loves them. That's what counts. Size matters in price also. Smaller is cheaper. That's all I'll add to that. I'm no expert. What I do want to say is -- check out Mainland Ukuleles. One of our members sells them, but he never seems to brag about his stuff. He's low key about it. PM hoosierhiver if you are interested in his Mainlands. Many, many people here on UU and elsewhere are quite taken with them.

I can see that I'm going to be saving for a Mainland uke. I watched some videos, looked at the website, and they have some beautiful ukes! Plus, they're just one state over from me. :)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom