Decisions, decisions

ricksan66

Reaction score
Here's another one of those "which one" threads that everyone is probably tired of seeing, but I hope you will indulge me. I will soon have funds to upgrade from my Empire Music concert uke. I consider myself to be a beginner. I want a solid concert and I think that I have narrowed it down to just a couple of choices. The ukuleles I am currently considering are:

Mainland Mahogany Concert

Mainland Red Cedar Concert

Kala KA-KC-CT (is this all solid)
http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KOA-CONCER...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a53c03b75

I am certain that all are quality instruments and would suit me well for quite some time. The Mainlands get rave reviews from the members here. MGM also gets great play here. I really don't want to spend more than $275. I really like the look of the Kala but don't have any idea how it sounds. It seems like a great deal at $235 with a case.

The Mainlands also seem like a great deal, but I would need to add a few bucks for a case.

Any feedback is appreciated. You guys and gals are the best.

Rick

The Kala you referenced has a solid cedar top...but the back and sides are laminated. Don't let that deter you as most of the sound is generated from the top (also referred to as the soundboard).

I own two Mainlands (mahogany concert and Honeybee) and can't say enough good things about them. Between the two you are looking at...depends mainly on what sound you're after. The mahogany will be a little more mellow with good bottom end and the red cedar will be more bright and punchy. You might also want to consider the new Mainland mangos...they really sound good (based on the YT vids I've seen).

Good luck to you.

I don't have experience with any of these but I do have an inexpensive Art and Lutherie cedar top guitar that sounds and smells gorgeous.

Go mainland!!:)

Everything about Mainland is Super Awesome:)Service,ukes,And hoosierhiver cant say enough about Um:)I have some serious UAS Hmmm maybe a 12 step program for it Nahhhhhhhhh LOL

TY UU For showing me the Beauty of the
Ukulele

One Love
NewMexicoDawG:cheers:
Waiting for The UPS Guy
Mainland Ukes CMM-TG - Classic Mahogany Tenor Gloss
Used to have a Kala Super Soprano Flame Maple
http://www.mainlandukuleles.com

Just to throw a wrench in your plns. Check out www.meleukulele.com

Otherwise go with mainland.

I'm in!

Just ordered the Mahogany Concert from Mainland. Can't wait to get it in my hands.

Thanks for the feedback. The people in the UU are the best.

Rick

Top Bottom