18 minute hand bend...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
OK - here is a tenor hand bend...

I wouldn't be able to do a bend this quick with a lot of the highly figured koa where I'd be using a stainless steel 'strap' to support the outside of the bend.

The whole thing about having the iron vertical is you get a better picture of how the bend is progressing. You also retain a mental picture of the pattern better if it is in the orientation which you are working. My first guitar had it's sides bent on a gas pipe set horizontally and it was hard.

Great vid...takes me back to my sheet metal and blacksmith days. :shaka:

Great video! As always you make it look so easy. Took me like 2 hours to bend my first pair of sides :).

Horizontal or vertical pipe Sayyadina? - it really does make a difference being able to see how the bend is progressing in the horizontal plane...

The pipe was vertical, but as I know now it was too small in diameter and too hot (I used a one inch pipe and a heatgun). The mahogany I had for the sides was also a bit too thick (2mm) I think. I will definitely try to get thinner wood next time.

That I was bending was 2.1mm. Mahogany is also a 'hard' bend if it is not the right thickness!

Pete,

Did you build the bender yourself or purchase it? If purchased, from whom? (Sorry if this has been asked before.)

Top Bottom