Ukulele not a serious instrument?

Snow

Reaction score
So after abandoning guitar for my ukulele, my mom believes ukulele isn't a "serious" instrument. She said there's NO way to get anywhere with it and no waay to play in a band or something. She recommends playing something like violin or flute. And a lot of times i'm being asked, "what's the point of playing ukulele?", "Can you ACTUALLY play that thing?" or "Why would you want to learn ukulele?". I'm so annoyed with these comments and I don't know how to respond. Have you guys experienced any comments like these? How do you respond?

people in my city are pretty open to encountering new instruments, but all u need to do is play ur heart out and show them its a great instrument.

Well... for me, the ukulele is a somewhat less serious 'fun' musical instrument, when compared to the other instruments that I play (namely cello).

However, I do spend a lot of time being serious on the ukulele... using it to compose... using it to study theory.... using it to improve general musicianship... and using it as a tool to work on my singing.

As far as dealing with comments degrading the ukulele, I simply respond by bursting out into some complicated instrumental song, play a well-known guitar part (stairway works well for this), and sing something.

If the person still thinks the ukulele is some inferior instrument after that, I have no need to take anything they say seriously, as they obviously either have been scarred for life by Tiny Tim or have little appreciation for different types of music.

edit

Oh, and also... if your mom is making some sort of offer to get you set up with the violin... I'd take her up on her offer if you have the time. It's an amazing instrument that I'd like to take up later on in life... I'm just too busy with cello right now (which is also an amazing instrument, by the way). If you have time, you can easily work on learning and playing mroe than one instrument at once.

Last edited:
I would sit your mom down at your computer and let her watch some of Aldrine's videos and then she what she has to say ;).

doesnt sound like a bad idea Dom :D

My mum and dad were excited - because it was "cute"

You know what's not a serious instrument? Guitar. There's guaranteed to be about twenty "guitar players" at any open mic you go to. How many serious ukulele players? A helluva lot less.

The piano can be beautiful, and it's great for learning theory, but HOW MANY people take piano lessons who never get anywhere with it?

Seriously, just explain the principle of "big fish, small pond."

And then some vids of Aldrene, Jake, and James Hill...

Sad to say its not uncommon to get comments like that. all i could say is play for you and try not to give any thought to the opinion of others. I have goten a few comments from other people at school or just stares but u cant convince everyone all you can do is keep strumming.

In addition to what everyone else had already said, I kind of welcome those comments when new people see my ukulele. I like it because it gives me a chance to change their perspective and to respect a whole new instrument. Playing the ukulele comes with bragging rights, because not many people do play.Play it loud and proud buddy!!!:D

You know what's not a serious instrument? Guitar. There's guaranteed to be about twenty "guitar players" at any open mic you go to. How many serious ukulele players? A helluva lot less.

The piano can be beautiful, and it's great for learning theory, but HOW MANY people take piano lessons who never get anywhere with it?

Seriously, just explain the principle of "big fish, small pond."

And then some vids of Aldrene, Jake, and James Hill...

I really dig that analogy! :D

In addition to what everyone else had already said, I kind of welcome those comments when new people see my ukulele. I like it because it gives me a chance to change their perspective and to respect a whole new instrument. Playing the ukulele comes with bragging rights, because not many people do play.Play it loud and proud buddy!!!:D

haha, i'm totally with you on that. If you can play something ... anything, thats good on the ears on a ukulele, its like whoa thats sweet. if you played the same thing on a guitar in front of people, 25% of them would probably tell you that they can play better.

I think that there could be some faulty logic in your mom's argument. She assumes that one plays an instrument to "get somewhere" with it.

Oftentimes, one plays an instrument just because it's fun. There doesn't need to be an endpoint.

Your mom's response to her kid wanting to learn the ukulele actually isn't a very surprising one. In fact, I even heard that Aldrine's parents felt (& somewhat still feel) the same way when he started seriously studying ukulele - and he's freaking awesome.

Plus, you have to remember that the last major period of ukulele exposure was in the seventies (which is probably what your mom remembers). During that time, people chose to make the uke feel like a novelty instrument. But this age of ukulele is NOTHING like it was then. We're banging on doors and breaking down walls here. So, it's understandable that you and your mom don't see the instrument in the same light.

In addition, there are tons of serious bands and artists coming out today that are incorporating and bringing new meaning to the uke. Jack Johnson & Colbie Caillat are two mainstream artists who immediately come to mind that regularly tour with ukulele players in their group. If it came down to it, I think any one of us could name more bands that use ukulele players than those who regularly use violinists. I can't even name one that uses the flute (other than a few who disbanded long before the age of tie-dye).

Sorry, this turned out a little long-ish, but the point is - no matter what your mom (or anyone else) says, if you're serious about the ukulele, then it is definitely a serious instrument. And you've always got 1,629 (and growing) good friends here to back you up on that.

Also, based on your username...

I just gotta say...

Informer, you no say daddy me snow me Ill go blame,
A licky boom boom down.
Detective mon said daddy me snow me stab someone down the lane,
A licky boom boom down.
Informer, you no say daddy me snow me Ill go blame,
A licky boom boom down.
Detective mon said daddy me snow me stab someone down the lane,
A licky boom boom down.

why dont you ask your mom how much money she makes, then tell her that jake makes more than her, then ask if she can name 5 great flute/violin players, then name like ten great uke players.(aldrine, seeso, guting, etc.)

yea, my mom had a similar reaction, no not really but it was funny but not at the time it happened because she was just not having a good day..
When I first got my uke in the mail I got so excited. I opened it up and started tuning it. My mom came in my room and with sarcasm and attitude in her voice yelled "WHY IS IT SO SMALL?!" and stormed out of the room. I pretty much had that "WHATTHEEF?!" look on my face and screamed back, "It's an ukulele mom! What did you expect?!"

But other various comments I've gotten while carrying it around the city and such, "Is that a toy?", "Do you really play it?", "Can you play songs on that thing?", and a lot of "What is that? a little guitar?" and I respond with "It's an ukulele." and I quickly get, "A what?" or "A uku-what?"

I've also been assumed to be Hawaiian and to have lived/gone to school in HI just because I had a uke.

Not many people think of it as a serious instrument, but when you play them something, they can possibly change their minds.

I play the uke because it's fun. Don't get me wrong. I AM serious about it, but I don't plan on making money off of it or anything. I like to learn new things and uke is my newest thing to learn. So, no one can tell me what I can or can't enjoy doing with my time. ><;;

I think that there could be some faulty logic in your mom's argument. She assumes that one plays an instrument to "get somewhere" with it.

Oftentimes, one plays an instrument just because it's fun. There doesn't need to be an endpoint.

haha I read this after I posted my reply.
He pretty much summed up what I wanted to say in two sentences.

I would get the same thing from my mom, who knows nothing about nothing when it comes to music. In fact if it wasn't a clarinet, my parents didn't want to know.

And I'm glad I'm an adult now, but I also put up with a bit until I played some of her favorite songs and she was impressed that I was smart enough to figure all that stuff out. ;)

But she grew up in Hawaii and her image of the uke is very Tiny Tim, or something for little kids.

I have a short fuse though when it comes to people who don't know anything and yet talk crap anyway. Maybe it's because I have a cold still and I'm in a bad mood, but if my mom took that attitude with me, my response would be that when she was a degree in music, then she can bring it, otherwise STFU. ;)

No, I don't miss being a teenager and living at home, why do you ask? :D

Top Bottom