Fret spacing on soprano, concert, tenor.

spots

Reaction score
I searched the forums for this answer, but I didn't come up with a thread with an answer.

I play a soprano right now.

I know that the neck length increases on concerts and tenors.

Does the distance between frets also increase? In other words is there more space between the nut and first fret, first fret and second fret, etc. on a concert than on a soprano?

Is there a difference in fret spacing between a concert and a tenor?

Thank you.

yea, as it increases in size the fret spacing increases. and there is a difference between concert and tenor, the exact distance, im not sure.

This issue is one of the main things to consider when buying a uke. The shorter length scale can make it easier for your fingers to reach a greater number of frets from one position. However, for some people, it may be too cramped to squeeze the fingers into the narrow spaces. If you are comfortable on the soprano, you will notice a difference on the larger instruments. The greatest difference will be evident on frets # 1-8. The higher frets are slightly further apart on larger sizes but the issue there is more about "is the space too tight" Since you already play soprano, that shouldn't be a problem. Tenors and concert scales usually have more frets than sopranos.

–Lori

Thank you all for your responses, and thank you for taking the time to include the links. It is very helpful.

Much appreciated.

Top Bottom