Kala KA ASMS?

lizaloo

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kala-ka-asms-SO...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a53c81eea

Couldn't find a review of it and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this model. I'm planning on getting my first "real" uke now that I know I love them and have worn out my cheapie-trial-uke. Any other MGM suggestions around this price range (possibly lower?) are welcome, ideally for a soprano but possibly for a concert.

Thanks!

Keeping in mind that I've never played these three particular models, here are my thoughts....

Can't go wrong with MGM. Great choice.

Can't go wrong with Kala or Koalana. Great choice again.

Remember that the all-solid mahogany Kala and the Koalana are both solid wood instruments, and the flamed mahogany Kala is a laminate. There's nothing wrong with that (in my book), but you have to compare apples to apples.

You may want to consider experimenting with different sizes. If you were to try a concert or a tenor and end up not liking it, you could always sell or trade it for a soprano.

Personally, I'd like to try either a Kala solid Acacia or a flames mahogany, or a Mainland solid mahogany or mango.... I'd really like to experience a tenor, although concert seems to suit me well....

Last edited:
Keeping in mind that I've never played these three particular models, here are my thoughts....

Can't go wrong with MGM. Great choice.

Can't go wrong with Kala or Koalana. Great choice again.

Remember that the all-solid mahogany Kala and the Koalana are both solid wood instruments, and the flamed mahogany Kala is a laminate. There's nothing wrong with that (in my book), but you have to compare apples to apples.

I agree with all of that. I just test drove a Kala solid mahogany in concert size, and it's a very nice instrument. The thing about solid woods, I've been told, is that as solid wood ages, the sound of the ukulele "opens up." That doesn't happen with laminates. While even a nice laminate is likely to be an upgrade from your "cheapie-trial-uke," I'd suggest that for a small amount of additional money, you buy a solid wood one, which would be one more thing about your new uke that's diffeerent from the one you have.

I agree with all of that. I just test drove a Kala solid mahogany in concert size, and it's a very nice instrument. The thing about solid woods, I've been told, is that as solid wood ages, the sound of the ukulele "opens up." That doesn't happen with laminates. While even a nice laminate is likely to be an upgrade from your "cheapie-trial-uke," I'd suggest that for a small amount of additional money, you buy a solid wood one, which would be one more thing about your new uke that's diffeerent from the one you have.

Not to argue, but as an alternative view.... Solid wood instruments may "open up" over time, but they are also more fragile and prone to cracking due to humidity changes. This, too, doesn't happen with laminates.

Try a quality laminate uke for yourself. Can you really hear the difference that extra money makes? ;) Food for thought....

:agree:

Sound advice and food for thought from mailman and mds725.

Solid wood instruments may "open up" over time, but they are also more fragile and prone to cracking due to humidity changes. This, too, doesn't happen with laminates.
I'll disagree with that. First, the plies may de-laminate from one another - the glue dries and loses adhesion or humidity softens it and the plies pull apart. I've seen that happen on several instruments. If it happens inside, you may not even notice it, but it will create dead or dull pockets.

The wood used in laminates is open to question. The outside layers (often just the top layer) may be a quality material chosen for appearance, but generally the other layers are not and can be second or third-grade wood. They may contain flaws and knots, hidden by being in the middle. Such flaws may be subject to environmental change in ways different from the rest of the wood.

The wood in a laminate is equally susceptible to cracking - it's just that the gluing generally keeps the cracks from affecting more than one layer. I've seen cracked laminates where the top has been affected but not the layer below. Humidity causes wood to swell or lack of it cause it to shrink - the wood of a laminate will do that, too. But what do you think will happen when the plies are glued together but the fibres expand and contract?

What's the acoustic property of the glue used to bind the plies? That also plays a role in the sound. I doubt glue contributes much in the way of sound.​

Solid wood instruments may "open up" over time, but they are also more fragile and prone to cracking due to humidity changes. This, too, doesn't happen with laminates.

QUOTE]

Ian,

As you have pointed out (although I was unaware), laminates can crack. I probably overstated by saying that they don't. On that I stand corrected.

I do stand by my belief that solid wood instruments are more fragile (than laminates), and more prone to cracking due to humidity. I still believe laminates are more robust....:)

The Kala has been ordered and is shipping; thanks for your insight guys!

Top Bottom