Electric Uke Question

FromTheWayside

Reaction score
Hello Everyone -

I have a few quick questions about electric ukuleles that weren't well answered after a few tries with the search feature. The biggest among them is this:

"Which, if any, of the electric (i.e. solid-body) ukuleles (preferably concert or tenor, but any size will do) sounds like a "traditional" ukulele (and not a capo'd guitar)?"

I'm very curious, because the majority of the jamming I do is with electric guitarists. I love my fluke, but it really just can't keep up as is. I've considered adding an acoustic pick-up to my uke, or even just buying an acoustic-electric ukulele (I'll probably do that anyway, damn UAS :p), but I figure if I can get the sound of a uke, and the crazy effects of a guitar, I'd be in a very happy place.

Thoughts?

PS - Feel free to post links to ANY uke. I'm not worried about price, though if it's an uber-expensive custom, I'll probably just have to be content with drooling from a distance.

I'm not a tech-head or anything, but you're talking about e-ukes with steel strings and magnetic pickups right?

If you want to sound like a ukulele, you need to play an ukulele. I'm not knocking e-ukes...but that ukulele sound comes from the nylon strings. So when people want to jazz up the ukulele by making it a solid body electric, they will typically make it guitar-like with steel strings and magnetic pickups--that changes the sound.

You can make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic guitar through an amp by using a transducer, because its same strings and same vibration principle.
If you want a solid body electric uke to sound more like an uke, its my opinion that you need nylon strings with a good transducer.

I don't have one of those solidbody electric only ukes like a bugsgear, so I can't comment on the sound of those. However, I do have acoustic-electrics. And when I feel like some effects, I run them through a Line6 M13 pedal modeling board all the time. I love that thing, gives me so many effects in a neat package and for not a lot of money (relative to buying all of the real pedals and effects.) I can add distortions, fuzz, wahs, delays, echos, reverb, synth effects, chorus, phasers, comp, and basically whatever I want. Does it sound much like a uke after all the effects? Well, if its only a reverb or delay, and maybe a bit of chorus, then yeah, it does. Put in too much distortion, and it just doesn't sound too good.

I had a time when I liked doing all kinds of crazy effect stuff with my uke, but I'm sort of over it. Mostly just use a bit of reverb to make the sound a little less dry now, if I'm using any effects at all.

I'm not a tech-head or anything, but you're talking about e-ukes with steel strings and magnetic pickups right?

If you want to sound like a ukulele, you need to play an ukulele. I'm not knocking e-ukes...but that ukulele sound comes from the nylon strings. So when people want to jazz up the ukulele by making it a solid body electric, they will typically make it guitar-like with steel strings and magnetic pickups--that changes the sound.

You can make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic guitar through an amp by using a transducer, because its same strings and same vibration principle.
If you want a solid body electric uke to sound more like an uke, its my opinion that you need nylon strings with a good transducer.

I'm just talking about e-ukes in general. It seems a lot of them are steel-stringed, but I'm not exclusively referring to those. It does make a lot of sense though - that aif you use steel strings, guitar pick-ups, and more guitar-like bridges, you'll get a guitar-like sound.

So...if I want a uke that can do it all (or at the very least, handle sounding like a uke, and occasionally rocking out without horrific feedback), I need a good transducer and nylon strings? Well...what is an example of a good transducer? Would an Uklectric qualify? (link: http://uklectic.com/electric_tenor_ukulele.html)

The Ovation Applause UAE20 acoustic/electric incorporates "Adamas holes", which project the sound outside the strings, instead of underneath them. These ukes can be played amplified with a lot of gain before feedback. I own two and they are my favorites for performing. They have a very natural sound, but can be played loudly on stage before feedback occurs:

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfr...ic-Electric-Deluxe-Soprano-Ukulele?sku=516727

230083.jpg

I don't have one of those solidbody electric only ukes like a bugsgear, so I can't comment on the sound of those. However, I do have acoustic-electrics. And when I feel like some effects, I run them through a Line6 M13 pedal modeling board all the time. I love that thing, gives me so many effects in a neat package and for not a lot of money (relative to buying all of the real pedals and effects.) I can add distortions, fuzz, wahs, delays, echos, reverb, synth effects, chorus, phasers, comp, and basically whatever I want. Does it sound much like a uke after all the effects? Well, if its only a reverb or delay, and maybe a bit of chorus, then yeah, it does. Put in too much distortion, and it just doesn't sound too good.

I had a time when I liked doing all kinds of crazy effect stuff with my uke, but I'm sort of over it. Mostly just use a bit of reverb to make the sound a little less dry now, if I'm using any effects at all.

Ah. Well...it's sort of like putting an acoustic-electric guitar through a lot of effects, right? If you hit that with too much distortion or gain you're going to get your ear blown off, and it doesn't seem like doing the same thing to a uke would give different results. My question for you then, is this: can you get a bluesy / mildly crunch sound out of an A/E without feedback? Or are you more or less restricted to clean playing? Granted, if you use enough effects on anything, it won't sound like the source, but it'd be nice to at least have the option of switching from cleana uke to blues machine to whatever, as desired.

Personally, I would not go with an uke with steel strings. I don't play the uke with a pick, and I imagine playing a steel string uke with bare fingers wouldn't feel so good. Instead, I second ricdoug's suggestion. I've got a tenor version of that Applause. And although I never play it at high levels of amplification, it does work well, and I have never had feedback problems with it. And if you want even less feedback, yes, Pete's ukelectic would work.

What kind of music do your electric guitar friends play?

Ah. Well...it's sort of like putting an acoustic-electric guitar through a lot of effects, right? If you hit that with too much distortion or gain you're going to get your ear blown off, and it doesn't seem like doing the same thing to a uke would give different results. My question for you then, is this: can you get a bluesy / mildly crunch sound out of an A/E without feedback? Or are you more or less restricted to clean playing? Granted, if you use enough effects on anything, it won't sound like the source, but it'd be nice to at least have the option of switching from cleana uke to blues machine to whatever, as desired.

Ah, I've done the acoustic-electric guitar with lots of effects before. I brought my Rainsong OM1000 guitar to my friend's place, not knowing that his brother really wanted to do an electric jam. So we ended up all plugging in to a Fender Twin Reverb. It was my first experience with a tube amp and holy cow, we needed ear protection. I plugged my guitar into his Tonebone Hot British tube pedal (which is a super sick effect if you're willing to spend the money.) And although it was loud, and I was sitting just a few feet from the amp, I was lucky because my guitar's LR Baggs's onboard equalizer had some anti-feedback controls. I don't remember what they are called and am too lazy to get out the guitar now, but it cancelled that feedback right out. I'm pretty sure my ukes would all have been feeding back like crazy. But there's always that option of getting rid of feedback through equalization.

But I think that FacemeltingUkulele on Youtube stuffs his KoAloha sceptre with foam to eliminate most of the feedback problem.

And to answer your question, you don't need a solid body uke to play blues or a bit of crunch. I just plugged into my Roland Cube 30 to make sure (My M13 is in a box and I'm too lazy to take it out). And unless you're playing really loud, and putting your uke right in front of the amp, you're fine playing with any of the COSM models. So yup, you can play Clapton or whatever it is you want, with a regular-style uke. You are definitely not required to stay on the clean settings. Distortion and gain are fine without feedback. Just keep the volume levels reasonable and use common sense as to where you put your uke in relation to the amp. :D

I've heard good things about this instrument, sound-wise. Is the battery any easier to change, though? (I heard on the Jumping Flea / Ian Chadwick's blog that this uke had some serious ease-of-use problems in that department.)

I read those reviews too, before I bought one. But really, it's not that hard. It's not as easy as reaching in the soundhole and getting the battery out of a battery bag, but with a little bit of dexterity, you won't be struggling with it for too long. And the battery issue is NOT a dealbreaker on this uke. And a warning, soundwise, acoustically, that uke is relatively soft.

I'm gonna say first that I've never played the ovation/applause uke so this is half an ignorant rant...but I have to say that I am not a big ovation fan. Their instruments are hybrid-like and not traditional sounding (personal preference). Now on top of that, I will say that I didnt mind their mandolin, and when it comes to the uke I can imagine that the synthetic roundback makes it sound more like a flea with a solid wood top.

I'd say for the price, its not bad if it has all the equalizer gadgets...but I think I'd still rather get a traditional style acoustic electric for evn a little less money.

I would go with an eleuke. they sound like what they are - a solid body nylon string electric uke. With some messing around with the tone nob it sounds uke-y enough. And if you have an effects pedal just add some chorus and reverb and tweek it till you get the sound you are looking for.

Also with heavy distortion it sounds like an electric guitar that has very little sustain.

The main prob with eleukes is that if you are playing with guitarists you must not let them know that the uke is essentially the shredding part of the guitar fretboard.... a uke is interesting enough to guitarists and electric solidbodies are irresistable. For what its worth I also previously have owned a Jupiter Creek solidbody uke with steel strings and the eleukes sound 10x more ukey (thats not to take anything away from jupiter creeks, they are awesome instruments)

one option that has been overlooked here are Risa electric ukes.

They have several models (Uke-solid, Uke-ellie, and steel string electrics... and they have a new Les Paul design one coming out).

Check them out at www.ukulele.de

I have the uke-solid Soprano, and very happy!
They're made in Germany and here are some videos that demonstrate its capabilities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqQWon71do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlSt3s849l8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0NX7vs2I1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woyW9XIZoHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75b_iJZjxY4

Advantages:
-Perhaps the most durable and compact practical ukulele ever
-Great action and intonation - the action is low and slick.
-Sound versatility - you can plug it straight into an amp, or through effects for a wide variety of sounds
-Comes with case and strap

A possible disadvantage is that the uke is a passive pickup.
This means that it doesn't take batteries (advantage), but it may lose output along long cables. A DI-box or external preamp may be required if you're linking it to a mixer/PA system. And the tuners are friction tuners, which aren't as comfortable to use as geared tuners.

Otherwise, a super-solid, versatile take-everywhere electric uke :D

Last edited:
When we first got out in front of a crowd this summer, it was a very casual affair and I was only competing with a steel drum to be heard. I just stuck a Radio Shack lapel mic I had laying around in the sound hole and covered it up to minimize feedback. Then I ran it thru a Boss EQ & Reverb pedals to a Fender Twin Reverb amp (the Twin's spring reverb wasn't so pleasant) and it did remarkably well after some shaping. After adding pre-recorded "live" bass & drums to the next gigs, I split my signal to the PA system and used the amp basically as a monitor for me, and to add a little juice to solos via a volume pedal going to the amp only. I even split the amp signal to a Marshall half stack for fun at one gig and the crunch was wonderful.

I was considering installing an under saddle pickup or a stick-on when I inadvertently drove over my uke before I could decide which way to go. Guess my 4Runner decided for me! So I ordered a Mainland concert with the Mi-Si pickup and it's due to arrive this Thursday. I may forgo the amps altogether and stick with pedals. My back can't take it, just for the occasional distortion, but it was fun. Now with a full band, real live drums and bass, guitars, etc, you may want a solid electric uke and crank that sucker up, or put a volume limit on the guitar player - that always goes over big!

Hey... Q: Know how to make the guitar player turn down?
A: Put a chart in front of him!

I haven't tried any other electric ukes, but I have an eleuke, and I was quite impressed with how it sounded on an amp - in fact so much that I'm now considering buying an amp. :D

For those of us who are interested, but electric instrument challenged....

What does "crunchy" mean in a sound context? :confused:

Ah, I've done the acoustic-electric guitar with lots of effects before. I brought my Rainsong OM1000 guitar to my friend's place, not knowing that his brother really wanted to do an electric jam. So we ended up all plugging in to a Fender Twin Reverb. It was my first experience with a tube amp and holy cow, we needed ear protection. I plugged my guitar into his Tonebone Hot British tube pedal (which is a super sick effect if you're willing to spend the money.) And although it was loud, and I was sitting just a few feet from the amp, I was lucky because my guitar's LR Baggs's onboard equalizer had some anti-feedback controls. I don't remember what they are called and am too lazy to get out the guitar now, but it cancelled that feedback right out. I'm pretty sure my ukes would all have been feeding back like crazy. But there's always that option of getting rid of feedback through equalization.

But I think that FacemeltingUkulele on Youtube stuffs his KoAloha sceptre with foam to eliminate most of the feedback problem.

And to answer your question, you don't need a solid body uke to play blues or a bit of crunch. I just plugged into my Roland Cube 30 to make sure (My M13 is in a box and I'm too lazy to take it out). And unless you're playing really loud, and putting your uke right in front of the amp, you're fine playing with any of the COSM models. So yup, you can play Clapton or whatever it is you want, with a regular-style uke. You are definitely not required to stay on the clean settings. Distortion and gain are fine without feedback. Just keep the volume levels reasonable and use common sense as to where you put your uke in relation to the amp. :D

Oh! That's actually very good news. I mean, if I can get a uke sound through an amp that sounds like a uke without ridiculous feedback...I'll be a happy camper. If you add too much distortion, it doesn't sound like a uke anymore, anyway. Now all I have to do is weigh my options and decide between the ridiculous amounts of acoustic-electrics on the market. That's not really a bad thing, though. :drool:

Top Bottom