Should I learn another instrument first?

AirCanuck

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am quite new to the forum, but have been reading through it and am discovering what an amazing resource it is.

First things first, I have always been a big fan of Hawaiian music, I have 10-20 albums in my collection (which is pretty decent for a Canadian boy like me). I've always wanted to learn the Ukulele. I recently visited Hawaii again and got to see the K-Town Heroes perform, at that point, I was inspired to the point where I wanted to give it a go myself (just for fun, though!). After watching Aldrine's videos here I couldn't be more inspired.

Here's the problem, I have ZERO music background and consider myself to be a 100% tone-deaf rookie who can't even read music. I love music, have always wanted to play music, but just have never given myself the opportunity. Ukulele is where my heart is as far as learning a musical instrument goes. I'm now beginning to approach 30 and regret not picking up a musical instrument in my formative years.

I know there is a ton of resources here for beginners, but I haven't even convinced myself that I should be even buying an instrument yet!

So...my questions to you are:
Should I start on the Ukulele (instruction will be hard to come by)?
or Should I learn the fundamentals of music first on another instrument?

Really, what's the best way to get my feet wet?

I greatly appreciate it!

Neil

hi neil,
welcome to uu!

Should I start on the Ukulele (instruction will be hard to come by)?

i think you should go right ahead and start on ukulele! i dont think its a big deal that instruction is hard to come by. i for one (and many, many others) have taught myself completely on my own through the use of the internet, almost completely through this site.

or Should I learn the fundamentals of music first on another instrument?

i dont want to say it would be a waste of time, but if your main reason for learning another instrument is just to make learning the uke easier, why not just start with the uke?
speaking for myself, i think i would lose interest when i got frustrated with the first instrument knowing it wasnt what i really wanted to learn to play. if you want to prepare before picking it up..do some research on music theory or how to read tabs or how to read music.
but all of that will come. if you just want to pick up a uke and start playing youll come across all of that in time anyway.

just my take on it. :)

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, Neil!! I would recommend you start on the ukulele. In my opinion, the ukulele is a wonderful instrument to learn if you have no musical background. And there is a plethora of instruction available right here and other places on the internet. Good luck in your quest. :shaka:

Uke is about the most accessible of the string instruments. Very easy to learn, comparatively easy on the fingers, and versatile enough to play any style you like.

It also teaches you the basics of the guitar family, so it opens up all sorts of options later.

Manageable size, simple chord forms, soft nylon strings - honestly I can't think of anything easier except perhaps piano, and it's hard to haul that around.

I think the uke provides instant gratification. I played the piano for many many years, but i don't have any other string instrument experience. I love the ukulele. I think it's a great first instrument. I'm learning quite a bit from musicteacher2009 on youtube. Good lucK!

If you are that concerned about knowing enough about music before getting an instrument, just combine the two and learn about music on your ukulele! Read some easy intro pieces into music theory, fiddle around with your uke to understand what is being said, and enjoy the whole experience. Ukulele god James Hill is all into music education with the uke nowadays, Chalmers Doane was a pioneer in this aspect, so you are in good company.

Smash your piggy bank, go to a music shop and try a few instruments for size. Have the shop attendant play a bit for you, or take a friend who can play some. Get a decent (but not necessarily very expensive) uke and you will keep coming back to it to play and fiddle around a bit more every day. Lots of resources on the internet to just play along with songs, get some decent lessons if you are serious about it. Now run, Forest, run!

30? Man, I've got shoes older than you. I had a uke back in the early 70s and learned a couple of songs and loved it. I went back to playing drums semi-pro and tried to play a little guitar and mandolin along the way. Never really enjoyed it that much. A few weeks ago, I bought a new uke and am learning it all over and loving every minute of it. This site is a springboard for any and all info geared toward learning this wonderful instrument. Also, you can play anything on it you can play on any other instrument. Get one and get started. At 30 you don't have much time left, brother.:D

Welcome to UU. I started on the guitar and it was a struggle for me for a long time. Picking up the ukulele was pretty easy after 25 years of guitar. If I was starting out I would start with the ukulele. It has less strings, they are nylon and unwound (unless you go for low G) so it is easier on the fingers. As far as lessons or instruction there is a ton of information right here, on you tube and other sites and some real good books as well. If you spend some time every day playing I think you will be surprised how fast you progress!!

Really, what's the best way to get my feet wet?
Jump in the water! :)

Uke is about the most accessible of the string instruments. Very easy to learn, comparatively easy on the fingers, and versatile enough to play any style you like.

It also teaches you the basics of the guitar family, so it opens up all sorts of options later.

Manageable size, simple chord forms, soft nylon strings - honestly I can't think of anything easier except perhaps piano, and it's hard to haul that around.
Couldn't agree more, except I don't think piano is easier to learn.

Neil, just go for it! Many of the ukers here have no formal training. It's a great instrument to start on. :)

I think you should just go for it!

I come from a very musical family and my dad (a guitarist) always wanted me to play the guitar, but I found it very difficult and eventually gave up un all music...

a year ago I received a ukulele as a gift. I was abe to play a song within minutes. And it was different to when learning to play the guitar. I never even got Tom Dooley to sounds good on the guitar, but just random loose strumming seemed nice on the ukulele. (Of course, it was pretty decent ukulele, not one of those toy plastic ones).

I don't think you need instruction. Just be sure to get a tuner, so you can tune the thing.

There's so many good tutorials on youtube (and on here of course!).

Hey Guys,

All I can say is, WOW. What an outstanding response, and a unanimous one at that. I guess the game plan is to head out and get a book to lead me through some basics plus puchase my first Ukulele! Thanks for the warm welcome and outstanding replies. I really appreciate it.

Now, which Ukulele should I buy??! Just kidding, found the search button, and already have a good idea where to start in that regard. :p

I'll definitely be in and out frequently, although I may not have anything constructive to add to the forum for quite sometime!

All the best,

Neil

Welcome to uu. You've made a great decision. There are a tremendous amount of resources here and on the Internet you'll find your having a blast and start picking it up pretty quick. And there is tons of folks here to help you along the way. Play on.

Mando 1st... IMHO

Mandolin is tuned to 5ths as opposed to 4ths like Uke and Guitar.

That means that that where you have a root note (anywhere on the fret board) the scale pattern you learn will work. This makes it super easy.

You learn one pattern BASED ON THE ROOT NOTE, and ANYWHERE YOU FIND THAT ROOT NOTE, THE PATTERN WILL WORK.

Whether it be a scale or a chord.

I started playing guitar 20 years ago, Mando at 10 years ago, Uke a couple months ago. And taught for over 10 years.

I've always said, if someone were to ask what instrument to start on, Mandolin is the easiest.

That being said, you can't get a decent mando for $200 like you can a uke.... That makes a big difference. The cheapest best mando is probably a Gibson A-9. If you can get lucky, you can find a used one betweeen $900-$1100.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to offer a slightly different suggestion. Yes, start with the uke. It does offer nearly instant gratification and this site offers a wealth of instruction and collective knowledge about playing. I've been to other forums for other things and none have the "aloha" of Ukulele Underground. Having said that, if you have an interest in learning to read music and wire your brain in another way, the Irish Tin Whistle or Penny Whistle is a good way to go. They are very cheap(under $10), only have six holes, and you learn the melody parts. Because of this, it's very simple to learn to read music with it, and I find that it is helping me play the ukulele better. A great book to learn Tin Whistle is "The Clarke Tin Whistle" by Bill Ochs which starts at very basic music theory and works on up. There's a version of it with a cd that helps tremendously. Interestingly, I think someone on UU actually had posted about the whistle a while back and I made a mental connection when I was looking at Tin Whistle music online and found that people who bought "Feadoga Stain" (a classic of whistle music) had also purchased "Facing Future" by IZ.
The downside to the whistle is that they can be loud and as simple as they are, require you to learn breath control and finger dexterity. While you do this, a random selection of squeaks, squawks, and other less enchanting sounds will fill your house. Also, your family and friends who are amused by your desire to play the ukulele will think you've gone mad when you pull a whistle out. My dog moans almost continually when I play the thing, but she won't leave because I think she's worried that I'm in pain. Have I sold you on this yet?:)

You are in the exact place I was a year ago. I had no musical background, possibly a little tone def and can't hold a rhythm. I can now play a few songs and I am working up to some to some good intermediate picking (Guava Jam). I would say the uke is the easiest place to start and can be as easy or advanced as you want it to be. Send me a note if you have any questions about being a beginner because that the one thing uke related that I'm knowledgeable about!

The only real question you need to answer is what size uke to start with; Soprano or Concert. The soprano is smaller so your fingers don't need to stretch as far to cover some cords. The concert is bigger and some people find it easer to hold.

I brought an Ohana student Uke on sale for $40, the price of a fancy dinner out! It sounds great and is reasonably well made. I brought an Ohana solid top concert for about three times that and it sounds even better. So skip dinner out this week and get both.

Mandolin is tuned to 5ths as opposed to 4ths like Uke and Guitar.

That means that that where you have a root note (anywhere on the fret board) the scale pattern you learn will work. This makes it super easy.

You learn one pattern BASED ON THE ROOT NOTE, and ANYWHERE YOU FIND THAT ROOT NOTE, THE PATTERN WILL WORK.

Whether it be a scale or a chord.

I started playing guitar 20 years ago, Mando at 10 years ago, Uke a couple months ago. And taught for over 10 years.

I've always said, if someone were to ask what instrument to start on, Mandolin is the easiest.

That being said, you can't get a decent mando for $200 like you can a uke.... That makes a big difference. The cheapest best mando is probably a Gibson A-9. If you can get lucky, you can find a used one betweeen $900-$1100.

Just my 2 cents.

I love the mandolin too - but as a long time guitarist and uker just learning the mandolin, the mando is not an "easy" instrument.

Mandolin is easy for scales and melodies - but many chords are almost impossible on the mando. Add to that the "egg-slicer" double courses of metal strings, and I can't think of many things that would be more discouraging to a beginner. It does open up the violin family though - and you are right about 5ths.

Uke nearly eliminates the typical frustrations of beginners - hard on the hands (nylon strings), can't learn songs I know (most all chords are very easy), can't 'advance' fast enough (even complex songs become fairly simple on the uke)...

Top Bottom