Messed it up, but I'm the Cool Guy!

Harold O.

Reaction score
My regular Tuesday night jammer band played at Guitar Merchant today for a recital (there were two other bands). We cranked out four songs. They were This Must Be the Last Time, Little Wing, For What It's Worth, and Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian.

We were all over the place. A couple of times I found myself wondering what happened to me, only to later find out it was someone else dropping a beat, missing a cue, or just letting nerves blow 'em out. Of course, the crowd didn't notice - only us. Great Show!

So we worked our way through three moody tunes, then turned me loose with Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian. I sing/play verses by myself and the band joins in for the chorus. I even pulled out a straw hat for the occasion. I felt like I was stumbling all over the place, but the Great Spirit was with us, and we survived.

Here's the point:
I felt like I messed up and was going over to the bass player afterward to offer up a mea culpa. Before I could say anything, he said "That couple over there just came up to me, pointed you out and said 'That's the coolest guy ever.'" Sheesh. I'll take it.

Attachments

• band.jpg
    band.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 64
there's always a difference between what you can hear as a musician, and what the audience hears as social spectators. glad nobody noticed

good show cool guy!
Exactly. Many is the time I thought we blew chunks, only to have some guy come up and say, "You guys were blazin'." Some of my best moments were "mistakes." At least that's what I tell myself!

Stay cool, guy!

Nah, not the hot girls. There were mostly friends and family in the crowd of about 50. We had two other bands that made up of teenagers. Pretty good, too. They looked more comfortable than I felt up there. I'm fine on stage, it's just the opening song jitters to get by.

I typically take the opportunity to plant a uke seed or two and try to get someone else interested in playing.

Top Bottom