PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Is Em kidding me?

madfoot
10-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I've had my uke a grand total of two days and I'm completely in love. But I keep coming up against Em. It seems like no matter what finger position I try, it's impossible for me. Is there a trick to playing this chord?

Spooner
10-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Leave the g string open

first finger on the 2nd fret on the A

middle finger on the third fret on the E

ring finger on the 4th fret on the C

:shaka:

redsedge
10-17-2009, 09:43 PM
It helped me to see Em as a short flight of steps, with my index finger on the first step, middle finger on the second and third finger on the third.

Captain_Lovehandles
10-18-2009, 02:35 AM
I play Em with my index finger barring the C, E & A strings on the 2nd fret, then my middle and ring finger as above. That way, when you lift off the ring finger, you're already making a G.

You can leave the G open, or place your pinky on the fourth fret G string for the Em.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Em? Am? its all the same!! just play continuous open chords.

ukantor
10-18-2009, 04:04 AM
"Em? Am? its all the same!! just play continuous open chords."

I've been playing uke for about fifteen years and do not understand this response. The OP has been playing for a couple of days. I think he will find it confusing.

Eminor and Aminor are not the same, but both can be considered open chords - can be played with some of the strings not pressed down.

I don't know if this helps or not.

Ukantor.

KC8AFW
10-18-2009, 04:51 AM
You can also play an Em with first finger on the 2nd fret of the A and ring finger on the 4th fret on the C leaving the G and E strings open.

Skrik
10-18-2009, 04:59 AM
If you hate E minor then you're really going to hate E major.

CountryMouse
10-18-2009, 05:01 AM
You can also play an Em with first finger on the 2nd fret of the A and ring finger on the 4th fret on the C leaving the G and E strings open.

This is how I play it--much easier! Only two fingers to worry about. :) (I've only been playing a week short of two months)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-18-2009, 05:04 AM
If you hate E minor then you're really going to hate E natural.

Actually, I don't hate E major at ALL as much as B flat--it mocks me at every turn! Is there no easier way to play B flat?? I can't seem to "mash" two strings and arch my other fingers for the other two strings. All I end up with is a dully thud-y sound. :(

CountryMouse

madfoot
10-18-2009, 09:00 AM
oh you guys are so great. i have to write these into my book!

i'm a lady btw. guess i should update my profile.

as predicted, I have no idea what that open-chord post meant -- someone want to enlighten me? it sounds intriguing.

oh the one in the book is actually quite simple. What the heck. I guess it was the chords online that were facacta.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2009, 12:50 PM
"Em? Am? its all the same!! just play continuous open chords."

I've been playing uke for about fifteen years and do not understand this response. The OP has been playing for a couple of days. I think he will find it confusing.

Eminor and Aminor are not the same, but both can be considered open chords - can be played with some of the strings not pressed down.

I don't know if this helps or not.

Ukantor.

clearly, you have NO sense of humour regardless how long you play the ukulele for, give it another 15 years and you should get it by then ;)

and give me as much negative rep as you like.

existence
10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Actually, I don't hate E major at ALL as much as B flat--it mocks me at every turn! Is there no easier way to play B flat?? I can't seem to "mash" two strings and arch my other fingers for the other two strings. All I end up with is a dully thud-y sound. :(

CountryMouse

That shape you're referring to is the unbarred "F" shape on guitar, and it's dreaded amongst beginning guitarists too. I have not-so-fond memories of the troubles it gave me when I was just starting out....stick with it, one of these days you'll go to make that chord and realize, "hey, somewhere along the line this stopped being hard!"

It's useful as heck to, being movable.

ukantor
10-19-2009, 02:10 PM
"clearly, you have NO sense of humour regardless how long you play the ukulele for, give it another 15 years and you should get it by then

and give me as much negative rep as you like."

ULLRA - I believe I do have a sense of humour, but I guess it is on a different wavelength. I'm genuinely puzzled, would you care to explain?

And what's that about giving negative rep? If it is another joke - you've lost me completely.

Ukantor.

Thumper
10-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm with ukantor - I don't see anything "humorous" about a confusing (and ultimately meaningless) answer given in a section of the forum that is specifically set up for beginners to ask questions.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2009, 06:24 PM
mmm... the people that I would expect to understand, wouldn't normally come here. So I guess I just posted in a place where my croud isn't at.

its not about what part of the forum it is, so you have it compeltely even more wrong thumper. and be with uk all you like.. haha.. duno sum1 gave me negative rep, for a joke. Didn't know this forum was full of people who take life so serious

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2009, 06:26 PM
personally, I think Em is top 5 easy chords.

three different ways to do it.

Sayyadina
10-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Hehe this thread brings back memories from about a year ago when I started playing the uke. Just keep on practicing and all of a sudden impossible becomes possible and if you practice a little more your fingers will do it all by themselves. I know this advice doesn't really help you for the moment but you just can't rush those muscles. :)

LazyPancakes
10-20-2009, 03:22 AM
:agree:

I think just like any chord it takes alot of time and practice to truly get it down. Even if it is an easy chord. when you pick up a new instrument your not going to get it just like that (unless your flat out talented), I do the index finger, 2nd fret on the a string, middle finger on the 3rd fret, and ring finger on the 4th. It took me a while to learn this chord also. After a while your fingers just get used to it.

oh yea, also check your hand position, move it around until you find a comfortable spot that could also be a reason.

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 05:51 AM
That shape you're referring to is the unbarred "F" shape on guitar, and it's dreaded amongst beginning guitarists too. I have not-so-fond memories of the troubles it gave me when I was just starting out....stick with it, one of these days you'll go to make that chord and realize, "hey, somewhere along the line this stopped being hard!"

It's useful as heck to, being movable.

Thanks for the encouragement. I still avoid playing songs in the key of F because of it. I guess I'd better just DO it! :p

CountryMouse

sukie
10-20-2009, 07:06 AM
I guess I'd better just DO it! :p

CountryMouse

'fraid so. practice seems to cure a lot of problems.:D

RevWill
10-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Em is a very serious chord and it NEVER, EVER kids.

MisoHappy
10-20-2009, 07:42 AM
I always take it in two or three strums. So the first one I just put my pointer down on the A 2nd, and on the second strum, I hammer on the other two. :)

Thumper
10-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Em is a very serious chord and it NEVER, EVER kids.

E minor may be very serious indeed, but according to Nigel Tufnel, D minor is the saddest of all keys.