Tiny tuners

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
We're working on a tiny sopranino uke and wondering what tuners would be best suited. We have several sets of nice friction tuners, but they seem awful big and crowded on the sopranino's little baby sized head.

Does :anyone: know where we could get baby sized tuners?

Thanks,
Erich

Maybe you can find out where Mainland gets their tuners. They seem pretty small.

–Lori

Which bit do you find large the Button or all of it ?..I sometimes reduce the size of the buttons.
From this.
PICT0828.jpg

Down to.
PICT0830.jpg

This.
PICT0834.jpg

Is there a way to make your own buttons? Like replace the ones that come with the ones you buy?

Which bit do you find large the Button or all of it ?..I sometimes reduce the size of the buttons...

Sweet!

We actually considered reducing the button size, although I'm sure we could not have done nearly as good a job as you. But really, everything needs to be smaller, not just the buttons.

It doesn't seem like it would be too complicated, though I don't know how the tuners work really. What happens when you screw off the end screw? Would the button pop off? I may be in dreamland, but it seems like you could then fashion your own buttons and pop them on, screw the screw back in. They might not look at professional, but you could do a good number with scraps of wood. Maybe some of the luthiers in here wouldn't mind sending some scraps out to someone willing to give this a shot.

EDIT:

http://www.moorebettahukes.com/Rick_Vito_006.jpg

Those look like wood!

Last edited:
What I'd like to see are tuners other than silver or gold. It's like a Christmas song. How about antiqued brass?

You're so right. I have also asked about antique finishes, but evidently the market is not there.

I've been talking to my brother-in-law about making our own tuners - he has all the machinery, training and experience to do that kind of stuff. The advantage would be that we might be able to use alternative materials and also experiment with different sizes, designs, etc.

Top Bottom