replacement tuning pegs

rusty_apache

Reaction score
Great group you have here. I made a quick search on this subject just in case it's already been discussed at length.

Okay, I don't want to come off as overly particular, but I hate making modifications to anything vintage. It seems as though all replacement friction tuners available now require drilling. I have a few pre-war ukuleles that could use new tuners eventually. I know as soon as I break down and drill them out for new ones, accurate reproductions will then become available, because that's just the kind of luck I have.

Does anyone here know of a non drilling alternative.
I wish there was a source for just the knob that seems to split after 50-60 years.
I know a guy that reproduces plastic parts, but the only way to offset the cost of mold making would be to have several sets made. Are there others like myself who can't bear to break out the power tools on an antique Uke?

Welcome to UU!!

Sorry, I don't have any magic advice for you...but I completely understand your delima. I have a Favilla soprano from the '30s and the buttons aren't what they used to be (see attachment). I wish I could find some replacement buttons that fit the square posts of the tuners without having to replace the whole unit. They are working for now...but at some point I may have to break down and just fit it with new tuners.

Good luck in you quest. I'd be interested to know what (if anything) you find.

Attachments

• Favilla_05.JPG
    Favilla_05.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 63
On the Favilla of Rusty Apache, the knobs seem to be OK apart from the stripped out square hole. Would it not be possible to fill the hole with Araldite, shove in a square rod, treated with grease so you can remove it later, thus restoring the necessary square hole?

Worth a try, I think.

Ukantor.

If I only had a Favilla!
It is possible to have some plastic pins fabricated, but having the molds made is the expensive part.
I'm suprised there's none already available.

Hello KC8AFW,
One of the buttons on my Favilla soprano disintegrated last night and all others have growing cracks.
Have you any success finding replacements?

Hello bomack;

I have not bought any replacements yet. Mine are still holding up for now (although I have a crack in one of them). I have found some potential candidates. These seem to be the correct size: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/UP26.htm. Although I may just upgrade to the Grover Sta-tites. http://elderly.com/accessories/names/deluxe-uke-tuners-set-of-4-friction-pegs-nickel-w/--4BN.htm The bushing appears to be larger so I will probably have to make the hole bigger for them to work. I plan on making a trip up to Elderly in the next month or so...I can let you know what I come up with.

BTW...Welcome to UU!!! Be sure to join the Favilla Fanatics: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=79

I seeem to remember some vintage style replacement plastic knobs in the Stewart MacDonald catalog, you might try them.

I keep an eye out for old ukes at flea markets and such. I love the old, nearly weightless friction tuners with what might be aluminum or pot metal shafts. Seems there were more uke builders than peg makers back then, so some of them use the same pegs, ie., Harmony and Y 'Ke Ke. Sometimes I'll buy a beater just for the pegs if they're in good shape. You might check with shops that have done a lot of uke repair over the years. They may have parts boxes holding what you need.

I keep an eye out for old ukes at flea markets and such. I love the old, nearly weightless friction tuners with what might be aluminum or pot metal shafts. Seems there were more uke builders than peg makers back then, so some of them use the same pegs, ie., Harmony and Y 'Ke Ke. Sometimes I'll buy a beater just for the pegs if they're in good shape. You might check with shops that have done a lot of uke repair over the years. They may have parts boxes holding what you need.

This. Also look for old plastic ukes with thin metal tuners. Flamingos, Islanders and a few others used metal tuners (some, like the Finder and Happy Tune, used metal, but they're not removable). Find oen on Ebay that's cracked and buy it for the tuners.

Did you try superglue on the crack in the knob? I had the same problem with one of mine. I superglued the crack and clamped it.
It is holding OK so far.

I just checked and it split again and so are the others now that they have been tightened.

I have a Richter ukulele from the early 40's which I believe was made by Regal. The tuners were suffering similarly. Someone suggested to me that I try a set of "Ping" tuners as the shaft is thinner than most available. I found them at a local shop for $12 and gave it a shot. They fit right in without any drilling or modifications. The washer that comes with the Ping tuner is made to be countersunk, which I didn't want to do. I got flat stainless steel washers that are a perfect match for almost nothing at the hardware store.

There is a sight out there that says that no modern tuner will fit without drilling but these dropped right in. They work better than I had hoped, they don't slip and feel very solid for an inexpensive replacement.

Any luck finding tuners for the Favilla? I just picked up a 30's/40's soprano in need of tuners.

Any suggestions for re-stringing/ replacing tuners on a Kamaka ukulele, I believe it is from the late 60's pr early 70's. Purchased in Hawaii during military stay. Tuners are still working but definitely needs some new strings. Any help would be great, just started playing a couple of weeks ago.

Hey Scout, welcome....try posting a new post for your question and you will get lots of replies! I have Aquila strings on my Kamaka and I like them. Others seem to like Worths....

Top Bottom