Glue the nut?

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hana Lima Ia says wedge it between your veneer and fretboard, apparently w/out glue (my uke is veneer less, btw). StewMac tenor instructions say glue it with thick superglue. Anyone else care to share his or her opinion before I go ahead and screw it up anyway? (That's confidence for ya!)

In a related matter, my scarf joint "seam" isn't perfectly perpendicular to the neck sides, running slightly diagonally upwards from left to right. I figured I would simply affix the nut straight across starting just below the seam's low end on the left, and not worry about it after that. Any problems with that? I'm going to print an image on the head stock, too, so I don't think it will be an aesthetic issue.

I use just a little wood glue - you want it to stay put, but be able to be knocked off and replaced if need be without hurting anything else. (String tension does most of the work holding it in place...)

ditto

I dont use any veneer on the headstock, so there's nothing to wedge it into...so I notch a small groove in the neck about 1/16 deep-ish and secure her with some wood glue.

I'm totally loving tightbond by the way...not only is it stronger, but it doesnt plug up in the cap like the elmers. It was very irritating having to take off the cap and clean out the gunk every other day or so.

Our nuts don't fit into any channel. They're glued down with a small bead of ca. Keeps them in place, but easily swappable, in case of a total nut replacement.

Neither way is right or wrong. I prefer no channel. Makes it easier to fit it on there, without having to worry about one more set of joints.

what is " ca " ?? super glue?

Thanks. I'll have to show this to my wife. according to her, I am never right about anything.

Ditto to the "small amount of wood glue". Enough to hold it in place, but not enough to make removing it very difficult. String tension and a little bit of glue goes a long way.

:agree:

We use just a little wood glue to keep the nut in place but still removable if necessary.

When called for, we also cut a slot into the head veneer (if used) or the head itself. So kinda a hybrid of both, I guess.

Top Bottom