SO ive decided..

i do too...i want a concert too, but i have no desire to go bigger than that

i do too...i want a concert too, but i have no desire to go bigger than that

I agree. I just don't like the string tension on tenors and baritones.

I started on soprano, and I love the sound of my low-g tenor, but I'm settling into a concert size that I got this week much more comfortably. It's not so much the string tension for me, but the fret spacing that is killing me whenever i pick it up.

I prefer Tenors (Concerts too I suppose...but I'll even jam on a Baritone)...but that's probably just because I'm a pretty big/tall person - Soprano's are so small - it's not hard for me to play, but it's easier for me to jam on a Tenor.

That's cool though. :)

Supranos are cool, my koalana concert is coming in tomorrowww, excited, but Ive been playing with my friends tenors and they're also realy fun to play. Im just gonna say they each have their goods and their bads.

It's funny, because I have everything from Sopranino to Tenor... I find that when I'm in the mood for strummin, the smaller sizes are better. (Sopranino, Soprano). When I'm in the mood for finger pickin I pick up the Concerts and Tenor.

In general, I think smaller is better for strumming, and larger is better for finger picking.

My opinion, but that's how I use my ukes. Although I've gotten a pretty good strumming groove on my Tenor from time to time... :)
Cheers,
Skottoman

Last edited:
I prefer the higher-voiced ukes too, particularly the soprano. Gotta love the punch. Concerts are great too for when you want more low end bark, but there is something special about that classic soprano sound. I think ragtime and other old time music sounds awesome on them.

I like the bigger ones, but I guess since my main musical background is guitar I'm primarily attracted to the less guitar-ish ukuleles.

Soprano for me too...dunno, just something about them! :worship:

Yeah, I'm with you. I find myself picking up my sopranos more and more. My wife keeps telling me I should buy a Tenor so I have one of every size, but every time I go play one with the intent to buy, I end up feeling like it is too guitar-like and I go back to my soprano. Not bashing guitar here I am just drawn to the little ukes!

Can't wait until I figure out which I like the best. So far I know I prefer my concert to my soprano. The soprano just feels cramped in my big hands. But that's just one example of each size....I've never played any other ukes. Maybe a different soprano would really seem wonderful; maybe a different concert wouldn't feel right....I just don't know.

I'd still love to try out a tenor for size, and see what I think. Maybe someday I'll get it all sorted out.... ;)

Top Bottom