The loud C string

ed531

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how loud the c string is on a uke ? I've noticed this on my Kamaka Concert and Pono Tenor, both are tuned with a high G.

It just sounds weird when I play certain songs.

Tried a wound C once, and it was loud...and twangy. The wound low G was the same way. Do not want.

Tried a wound C once, and it was loud...and twangy. The wound low G was the same way. Do not want.

I don't have wound strings on my ukes. Now you have me thinking about what that sounds like...

Hmm...I have a wound C string and I don't think that's it's loud...but it does give my Uke a nice, low, "bassy" sound. Comes in handy sometimes. Sometimes...

swap to substandard string company, then you'll get a softer sound. Problem solved. OHH YEAH! blah blah blah spam spam spam... too much sugar.

swap to substandard string company, then you'll get a softer sound. Problem solved. OHH YEAH! blah blah blah spam spam spam... too much sugar.

Well actually, my Pono and Kanilea Tenor have the same strings (with the high G) and I don't have that issue with the Kanilea. Not to say Kanilea is better, just sayin...

Has anyone else noticed how loud the c string is on a uke ? I've noticed this on my Kamaka Concert and Pono Tenor, both are tuned with a high G.

It just sounds weird when I play certain songs.
Yes. The C is the thickest, loudest string, but I kinda like that. Gives dynamic variety, especially on 4-finger rolls. I don't notice it as much on strumming.

Sometimes I think the C string sounds more pronounced to the player. When I'm playing, I seem to really hear it, but when listening the overall tone sounds more balanced.

Maybe it's just me.

I think the C string does tend to stand out, as someone pointed out above it is the fatest string and also while finger-picking you are hitting it with the thumb (the biggest fatest appendage on your hand unless you have some weird hands) I think you can even it out by getting more aggressive with the higher stings when you pick them don't just brush up across them get under them a little and pick up kind of snap them back a little. If you watch some of the old acoustic blues players they really pull on the strings, sometimes you hear them slap back against the frets. I think this sounds great on the ukulele, it really brings out the bright snappy tone of it. Of course this sounds better with more upbeat playing, if you are trying to play slow and pretty this would be a bit much. In that case if you want more balanced sound just play a little softer with the thumb on the C string.

Well actually, my Pono and Kanilea Tenor have the same strings (with the high G) and I don't have that issue with the Kanilea. Not to say Kanilea is better, just sayin...

what works for the kanile`a doesn't necessarily work for the pono. try different strings.

Actually you're right. I notice the C more when I finger pick.

Just as an example, I was playing "Why My Guitar Gently Weeps" on both my Pono and Kanilea Tenors. Both with the same strings and it sounds better on the Kanilea. When I play the Pono and hit the C string exactly the same way, it just sounds louder. PS. My Pono sounds great otherwise.

Top Bottom