Southern Ukulele Shop ? UK Shop ...

B.Uke

Reaction score
Greetings UU :)

Just a quickie ...

Ive just brought a Lanikai from the Southern Ukulele Shop based on ebay ...

I just wanted to know if they dispatch half decent strings or shall i go out and buy some Daddarios ?

And is that a REAL store in Britain somewhere .. im in london :)

Thanks Much :)

they have 2 shops in Bournemouth actually one pretty much directly opposite music is life called langdons electric, not too sure about the strings though sorry.

Nice to know im not the only Englington on here :)

What strings do you recommend to me ? :)

Hi B.Uke,

Another Ego-ishman here. I don't know what strings will come with your Lanikai, but my advice would be to play as it comes, initially. Get used to the sound of it, then if you feel the need to change the strings, get some Aquilas. If it already has Aquilas, you probably won't want to change.

I've bought from Southern Ukulele Store. They are good people.

Ukantor.

Not sure about on a Lanikai, but I recently bought an Ohana CK35G from them and it came with Aquila Nygut strings as standard

Thats awesome :)

These Aquila's ? would they be better for fast picking ? or would the hard tention daddarios Jake uses be better ?

Hi B.Uke,

Another Ego-ishman here. I don't know what strings will come with your Lanikai, but my advice would be to play as it comes, initially. Get used to the sound of it, then if you feel the need to change the strings, get some Aquilas. If it already has Aquilas, you probably won't want to change.

I've bought from Southern Ukulele Store. They are good people.

Ukantor.

Theyr are indeed ... one of the guys has gone into hospital because of a back injury im lead to believe ... might not get my uke as soon as hoped as its the guy who deals with payments :(

really nice people ... will recommend them HIGHLY :)

Hiya B.Uke,

If it's a laminate uke, which I believe most Lanikais are, then there's a very good chance that Aquilas will work well. They are hard working strings and they drive laminate tops very well. I use them on my laminate ukes.

I tried a couple of different kinds of D'Addarios, including those recommded by various uke heroes (I tried them on a solid mahogany top), and was very disappointed. What works for Jake and Aldrine on their instruments doesn't work for me and my uke. I found the D'Addarios much quieter than Aquilas and a little muddy. Actually, D'Addario make my favourite mandolin strings, so I assumed, wrongly, that I'd like their uke strings.

Whatever types of strings you try, I recommend having Aquilas in there to test out.

Welcome to UU.

Its your pretty standard LU21TE matt finish ... nothing great i dont think :/

Im not sure what type of strings im looking for if i want to do some FAST fingerpicking :/ ? thats why i thought of the extra tension ?

Its your pretty standard LU21TE matt finish ... nothing great i dont think :/

Im not sure what type of strings im looking for if i want to do some FAST fingerpicking :/ ? thats why i thought of the extra tension ?

I reckon Aquilas would fit that bill.

Top Bottom