Fat fingers

bulldog

Reaction score
It only takes 3 fingers to cover across my bridge. Does anybody make a wide body bridge? There are a lot of chords I have problems with. Any other suggestions are welcome. Ive actualy starting to learn picking.

Last edited:
you can try a larger uke. concert maybe? tenor? I am assuming you have a standard/soprano.

also, I've noticed some older/vintage ukes had some pretty skinny fingerboards. if you are using them, most modern decent quality ukes have better spacing between strings than those older ones.

but ultimately, it might just need practice... have you seen bruddah Iz's digits? he still got those chords accurately. maybe you try staggering fingers when they get too close together... or improvise a solution. for example, my fat fingers can't reliably get the traditional G chord with three fingers on a soprano size uke so i just bar the CEA strings on the 2nd fret with my index finger and hold the 3rd fret E string with my middle... works for me.

2 of my ukes are concert and not any wider than my saprano, no question i need practice. thanks for the input. looking for lessons, but havent found any close.

i dont get what u are saying? :S

too bad howlinhobitt isn't around. he'd tell you fat fingers work great with a soprano. that's his ukulele of choice -- and he has fat fingers. you'll get used to it.

have fun. enjoy.

hey mate, fellow guy here with big ass hands and fingures, i went for a Kanilea k-1 tenor, the strings are a little wider apart from all the rest ect. this instraments seems to be the best for us big fingure disabled people ;)

MusicTeacher2009 on youtube and UU has an ukulele with a "wider" neck. Try contacting him. I think it's an oscar schmidt, wide neck or something. It just takes some practices, that's all. at least you don't have to worry about the E-chord :D

But if you can't adapt or get a new uke, grab a knife and widdle those fat fingers away :eek: bad idea? anything for the goodness of uke is a good idea:p

I agree with Jinny: Practice can do the trick. I'm a guitarist with fat fingers, and when I first played an inherited soprano uke (an oldie with a narrow neck) I said, "are you kidding me??". But in little while I found I can play all the open and moveable chords I've encountered, "jazz" chords and everything. You can always find a way. And now my limitations as a player have nothing to do with fat fingers. Not only that, but I just adore picking up this thing. Guitar is still a chore, but not the uke!

Top Bottom