Flea Vs Applause UA10-CCB

marimo

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I bought a cheapo Stagg US10 Ukulele about a month ago (more or less out of curiosity, really). I didn't expect to fall totally in love with the Ukulele as an instrument and now I'd like to upgrade. The Stagg was fine for learning but I've decided to invest in a more "serious" Uke. Anyway, I was hoping for some advice, hopefully from people who've had hands-on experience of both Ukes. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the Flea in action (so I know it sounds great), but not so many of the Applause. However, I've found it's quite a bit cheaper than the Flea.

So is it a decent enough Uke, or should I cough up the extra dough and buy a Flea? I understand it's electro acoustic. How does it sound unplugged (I plan to go busking with a friend)? Any opinions?

Cheers.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I bought a cheapo Stagg US10 Ukulele about a month ago (more or less out of curiosity, really). I didn't expect to fall totally in love with the Ukulele as an instrument and now I'd like to upgrade. The Stagg was fine for learning but I've decided to invest in a more "serious" Uke. Anyway, I was hoping for some advice, hopefully from people who've had hands-on experience of both Ukes. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the Flea in action (so I know it sounds great), but not so many of the Applause. However, I've found it's quite a bit cheaper than the Flea.

So is it a decent enough Uke, or should I cough up the extra dough and buy a Flea? I understand it's electro acoustic. How does it sound unplugged (I plan to go busking with a friend)? Any opinions?

Cheers.

The Flea is hands down the superior instrument IMO. You are getting a durable and sweet sounding instruments. The Applause is very 'punchy' and while it has it's niche, I think that the Flea is more versatile and has a more complete sound overall.

Ditto, you'll wish you had a Flea. I have a UA10 right now. I'm forced to play it while I wait for a new tenor. It's way overhyped. I thought it was awesome when I first started, but now I realize the intonation blows; although, I did get it signed by Aldrine... :D

Applause UA10 is a cool little uke. But I think you'll find that the Flea is the better instrument. I don't own either, but have the tenor versions of both. And I can tell you that you will not be dissappointed by the Flea, whereas you may be dissappointed by the Applause. Flea is just as durable, stands on its bottom, and has a better tone and more projection than the Applause. Go for the Flea.

Besides the fact that both got plastic backs, there really is not much in common with fleas and applauses. Style, Sound and playability are complete different animals. If it is not meant as a pure stage instrument I see no advantage in an applause, which are -at best- said to be very reliable when played in a stage environment. Soundwise -especially when played unplugged-there is no way an applause could ever beat a flea. The extra dough is well invested.

Go with an Ovation Applause UAE20. Great action, nice thin neck and plenty of punch when they open up. After playing many brands of ukes, to include Fleas, my money's on the Applause. I've used mine busking both acoustic and amplified. My oldest one in black stain is legendary in local uke clubs. Everyone wants it, but it's not for sale. Ric

Are you in the UK, Marimo? I ask because the Applause you mention can be had for just over £100 over here (the electro acoustic version), whereas a Flea is much more than that, and that's for a non-pickup version with a plastic fingerboard. I have nothing against Fleas/Flukes (though I have a personal preference for the applause ukes), but in the UK they can work out really expensive, especially if you add a pickup and a rosewood fingerboard.

Choice #3

Choice #3- Ohana CK70RB

* Solid Spruce Top
* Molded Rounded Back
* Precision Nickle Friction Tuners
* Top Body Binding
* Aquila Strings, Bone saddle and nut

http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck70rb/master.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNFn1Bc2o3U
mod_r.jpg
mod_f.jpg

personally in my opinion i wouldnt go for neither, i would go for a kala Solid acacia ukulele

I have never regretted my Flea. They're wonderful.

I own both a Flea and Fluke, and they are what I pick up most often even though I have several Koa 'ukuleles. The Applause 'ukuleles have never appealed to me, I'd rather have the solid spruce top Ohana posted earlier.

Wow, thanks for your response everyone. Seems like the Flea gets near unanimous approval, so I guess I'll just have to splash out on this occasion. Yeah Phil, I'm in the UK. It was the price of the Applause that attracted me more than anything else.

The Kala is a little out of my price range and lovely though it is, I don't think I'll be able to get the Ohana here in the UK (at least not online), but thanks for the suggestions anyway.

If you have questions about the Ohana, UU member Ken Middleton might be able to help you out.

But again I recommend the Flea unreservedly.

I like my applause, but I still want a flea as well :)

I have an Applause Sop/Electric which I've used for several gigs with good success.

I do NOT have a flea but I've played them and enjoy them more than the flukes I've tried.

Someone at SUPA has an Ohana, and I really like that. One - it's concert-size, and two - it really looks great. The Applause has a neat visual appeal (mini-Ovation) but the Ohana is like pure simplicity. If I got one I might try to install a pickup for performance/amp use. They do seem to be priced at a moderate price point.

I am really enjoying my Kala Soprano Travel Uke at this time. Have had it a couple of weeks now and I take it everywhere, ...well, you know....

Top Bottom