PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new and would love to play, question:

MordeKyle
10-19-2009, 08:36 PM
I have been playing guitar.... for basically forever, and I'm looking to start out on something a little more interesting, and a little rarer (at least here in Missouri). So I was thinking about buying a ukulele and giving it a shot.

Now, I'm unemployed right now (layed off indefinitely) and can't find a new job, so I'm looking to buy one on ebay for <$50 shipped.

I have my eye on this one, but to be honest, I have no idea what I'm looking at, would this be a decent starter Uke?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330368308718&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks for your help in advance.

micromue
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Nothing wrong with the Makala, especially when buying it from musicguymic. If properly set up (MGM will take care of that one), they deliver a decent sound that you wouldnt expect from a lowcost instrument. Playability is cool and intonation is appropriate. What is also important is the tuners work accurately. BTW, the black laquer looks gorgeous! Go get it!

Dino
10-19-2009, 09:17 PM
I agree with Mirco. I know "musicguymic" personally and have visited his store many a time. He is for real. He will not sell you a piece of junk. That Makala may be a starter uke but it will be okay. Just let me warn you about UAS. It's a terrible disease that many of us on UU suffer from. I am affraid that the longer you stay around here, you will eventually catch it like the swine flu! Oh....UAS....Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. Very hard to cure!

buddhuu
10-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi MordeKyle. Welcome to UU. :)

As a beginner uke for a learner on a budget, that Makala is a great choice.

I have two of them. I keep one in my car as a beater, go-anywhere uke, and it is nearly indestructible! The other I use for testing pickups and wiring stuff.

If you buy from MGM the uke should be set up well. The Aquila strings that Mike fits are well known for their suitability for this kind of laminate wood ukulele.

It would be a good choice. I don't think you can go wrong.

Have fun. :D

MisoHappy
10-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Hope you're havin a good time so far;

Makalas, very good starter uke. They sound decent, and are, yes, indestructible. The only problem after that is UAS, because trust me, you will not be satisfied ;)

BTW I think there was a thread a little back on how guitar->uke is a very good combo.....

grappler
10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
welcome aboard.
That ukulele is great !!
Nice choice and i hope you enjoy the ukulele as much as everyone on this forum

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-20-2009, 12:02 AM
shud be easier for you also..

going from gat - ukulele is much easier then ukulele - gat.

RevWill
10-20-2009, 03:52 AM
I was just like you once. I had to have me a $40 Hilo.

Within months I was ordering a Tiki Flea, and then a tenor Fluke with a pickup and rosewood fingerboard. Then I had to find my mom's old Harmony Baritone. Soon I was building a Grizzly uke kit and ordering a Mainland.

Skip drugs, get high on Ukes.

buddhuu
10-20-2009, 03:54 AM
[...]Skip drugs, get high on Ukes.

Heck yeh. No way I can afford both! :D

MordeKyle
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you for your help, I now feel comfortable spending my money on this Uke.

MordeKyle
10-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Well I just bought it. Now how long does it take to ship to the US mainland from HI?

Rzr
10-20-2009, 09:44 AM
MGM shipped mine on a Monday and it arrived in Toronto on Thursday.

LazyPancakes
10-20-2009, 09:44 AM
It says depending on mgm it could take 4-5 buisness days.

my uke came in within two days

AirCanuck
10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
MGM shipped mine on a Monday and it arrived in Toronto on Thursday.

Man, we're neighbours!

:cheers::cheers: