PDA

View Full Version : Addiction - Ukulele at Work

bunnyflower
10-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Does anyone else take their uke to work with them? When I get a break now, I will try to find my uke buddy if she's available, and we'll play in the breakroom. Even if I can't find her, I'll go take my 15 minutes by myself and play until I have to zoom back to work.

Good addiction? or Crazy addicition?

UkuleleHill
10-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Does anyone else take their uke to work with them? When I get a break now, I will try to find my uke buddy if she's available, and we'll play in the breakroom. Even if I can't find her, I'll go take my 15 minutes by myself and play until I have to zoom back to work.

Good addiction ;) I have my Applause Soprano under my desk :)

Rainhill
10-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Since I got my first one I've had one in the car for playing at lunch time. Its very relaxing, gets me ready for the afternoon :). Much better than sitting at my desk and going on the internet.......

My colleagues are a long way off being my audience though, damn B chord :p

Uke-lahoma
10-20-2009, 05:37 AM
I keep my Honu rope series concert at work. Great stress reliever, and it never gives me the Blue Screen of Death!

Ronnie Aloha
10-20-2009, 05:38 AM
One hanging from my desk and another on a stand on the floor.

dnewton2
10-20-2009, 05:38 AM
I ussually go outside and play at lunch. It is getting cold so I just ordered an eleuke so I can play at my desk and not disturb my co-workers.

With a baby at home I get more practice in at work then I do at home anymore.

mrsdepp
10-20-2009, 05:39 AM
LOL about the blue screen of death

ZombieSaint
10-20-2009, 05:40 AM
I have a Kamoa Pineapple on order from Ukulele Underground, when it arrives, the Mitchell Concert I have at home will probably come to work. As it stands now, I play a little on lunch break with an old backpack guitar I have.

A uke would be more fun I think.

brickerenator
10-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Not yet

I may in the future

ukecantdothat
10-20-2009, 05:47 AM
Absolutely! I keep it on my workstation all day. Frequently I'm waiting for my computer to perform some task that may take a couple minutes. Some people get up and go to the kitchen for coffee or to the bathroom or whatever. I pick up my uke. Hey, if it's three minutes or more, that's a whole song! Then after work, there's a massive stairwell in the parking structure that has reverb for days. If I get home late, my wife says, Stairwell again?"

You got it, baby.

buddhuu
10-20-2009, 05:49 AM
Mine goes in the car so I can play at lunchtime.

I work in an office with a bandmate of mine. Until the office got redecorated we had gradually filled it with instruments - ukulele, guitar, mandolin, fiddle, recorder, tin whistle, harmonica etc.

After the refurb, the boss took the opportunity to suggest that perhaps, instead of bringing back the instruments, we might like to do some work instead. We said no, that would be fine, but he kind of insisted. :rolleyes:

ukumele
10-20-2009, 05:52 AM
EVERYDAY!! I am a music teacher...so I bring it under the guise of working.....little do the children know that I am working on Marvin Gaye's Let's get it on....Thank you UU!!!

UKISOCIETY
10-20-2009, 05:55 AM
I keep my baritone cigar box uke at work. it's quiet so I don't disturb the neighbors.

jinny
10-20-2009, 06:01 AM
I have an office but I'm rarely there... I work from home, so most of the time I have a uke within arms reach. Two are screaming to be played as I speak... errr... write.

um... BRB

[ strum stum strum... ]

much better... although, I think I hear my Fluke calling from the other room...

jvann
10-20-2009, 06:04 AM
I can't take mine to work, but I can read about you guys doing it and that's almost good enough. Well, it's not really good enough, but it'll have to do.

Lori
10-20-2009, 06:09 AM
I take my uke to work somedays. I don't keep it in the car, but during lunch, I bring it out to the car to play. During the summer, it can get too hot, but I don't think it will get too cold here to play in the car. Since I work freelance, I can't keep it at work, but have to transport it each day I want to play. I could play in the break room, but it is shared with a lot of other businesses, and I am not outgoing enough to perform my half-learned songs in public.

I find the ukulele a great stress reducer. It seems best if I can play at least a little every day.

–Lori

freedive135
10-20-2009, 06:14 AM
My Flea is in my backpack sitting on the work bench, it comes out alot between custy's.

specialmike
10-20-2009, 06:52 AM
where in Athens do you work? Perhaps I'll drop in

ukecantdothat
10-20-2009, 07:37 AM
I was just thinking (always a dangerous pursuit) that maybe there should be a national "Take Your Ukulele To Work Day."

Just a thought.

Skrik
10-20-2009, 08:39 AM
I almost caused a riot with my ukulele at school today. The kids went crazy over "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" and "Wanna be like You" (banging on the floor, desk, walls, each other). Great stuff, but it gave me a headache.

That means I take a ukulele to work -- the el cheapo that doesn't matter when it gets kidnapped 'cause so and so just wanted to try it out.

Rainhill
10-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Mine goes in the car so I can play at lunchtime.

After the refurb, the boss took the opportunity to suggest that perhaps, instead of bringing back the instruments, we might like to do some work instead. We said no, that would be fine, but he kind of insisted. :rolleyes:

That made me laugh....a lot!

Now I've let the uke into my life, I kinda wanna take it everywhere :rolleyes:. I can really see this lunchtime thing sticking, too.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
10-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Been bringing my uke to work for several years. Now with the Kala Travel Soprano, it's so much easier. The slim profile really works for me, esp in the "tight-fit" but substantial Kala Gig Bag.

I'm constantly working of new arrangements, or preparing for workshops or gigs. My co-workers seems to be OK with it and even express "sorrow" for not being able to hand around to listen. I wish they'd join in to sing or something.

snowy_zoe
10-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I work with my dad, we have a photography buisness, we have a guitar as a prop in the studio which he tinkers on every now and then, so I now bring in my uke and practice when pics are uploading (or any other excuse), this year my dad has become obsessed with the harmonica (he had 1 harmonica for about 12 years - and now this year he has bought 7 more in different keys) so now he's on one of them and I'm practicing my uke

It's great, but sometimes it's hard to get the work done.

later
zoe

Uncle Rod Higuchi
10-20-2009, 12:29 PM
That's neat that you and your dad have something you can do together. :)

With harmonicas in so many keys, it will enable you to develop your transposing skills to play along with him.

Waiting for a sample of the Ukulele - Harmonica duo.

mailman
10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
As much as I'd love to, I just can't see bringing my uke to work.

My "office" is a mail truck. Usually it's either way to hot (sometimes over 100*F) or way to cold (sometimes below 0*F). I've had my Diet Coke freeze solid in the bottle in an hour and a half!

Also, my time is too limited. I'm allowed two 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch....all closely monitored.

Most importantly (and perhaps sadly, as well), we constantly fight with a negative public perception problem. People love to hate the Post Office. All I need is for someone to see me sitting in my truck playing the ukulele! They'd be on the phone in a heartbeat to complain. "Is that all the mailman has to do is sit on his butt all day long playing the ukulele? He's wasting time and I don't have my Soap Opera Digest yet this week!" This without considering that I may be on lunch or a break....

Oh, well. Not meant to be, I suppose.... :mad:

KC8AFW
10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I have given serious thought to getting a cheap uke to keep in my office. I don't know how well it would be received, as my "office" is in the middle of a cube farm.

haolejohn
10-20-2009, 02:58 PM
I always have 1 uke at work and sometimes all my ukes. I am happy to say that so far this year I have helped influenced 30 new ukers this year alone since september. I'm a teacher and music in the classroom is smiled upon.

leftovermagic84
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Unless I know I'm going to be swamped, I generally drag a uke in with me and jam here and there throughout the day

kenikas
10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I usually try to take mine along when I know my passengers dont have so much luggage and/or equipment that there will be room in the baggage compartment. (I've even put it in the lav compartment on short flights when I don't think anyone will need to use it!). It's great to sit and strum or practice finger picking while sitting on the airport ramp waitng for the passengers, and on layovers I can hang out in the hotel and play as much as I want. And I don' have to worry about anyone hearing my singing or how many mistakes I make!(I've only been playing for a couple of months). I really need to get used to a suprano since my tenor in it's case takes up a lot more room in the plane.

axee
10-20-2009, 06:46 PM
it's a crazy in a good way addiction! :agree:

FromTheWayside
10-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Playing uke between classes has yet to earn me any money, but it has certainly help me de-stress. I totally support having a uke with you at all times. :D

boundless
10-21-2009, 07:19 AM
...so I have 4 ukes in "my office".

micromue
10-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Always keeping a flat brueko aside my desk at office. Sometimes I have to restrain myself not playing while on the phone.;) But every now and then it helps me out to get my heads clear when things get busy. Therefore I think that a uke belongs in every professional surrounding.:D But there is absolutely NO WAY the brueko could accompany me on business travels, cause THAT would be way to extravagant.

Luckily, my flea fits this purpose perfectly!:rolleyes:

jenford
10-23-2009, 04:20 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photojen/4036657403/

or

bunnyflower
10-23-2009, 04:30 AM

or

I looooooooooooove the matching pink uke and pink laptop!!

bbycrts
10-23-2009, 04:56 AM

I don't take a uke to work. I have one at work permanently. Not an addiction at all - call it stress relief. I think employers should issue them at the door.

jenford
10-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Pinkie lives at work - our clients love to grab it and give it a strum. How can you not smile when you are holding a pink ukulele? :p

bunnyflower
10-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Pinkie lives at work - our clients love to grab it and give it a strum. How can you not smile when you are holding a pink ukulele? :p

I am intimately familiar with this scenario... :p

dab745
10-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Good addiction ;) I have my Applause Soprano under my desk :)

That is Crazy Good!

existence
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Just did that today! One of the administrators here has been asking me to bring it in for a while now, and since we had a staff meeting today I thought I'd go ahead and do it. I played a chord melody arrangement of Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head (so I wouldn't have to sing) and it went smashingly! The plant manager (I work at a bottling plant) heard the sounds drifting through the hallway and popped his head into the conference room to see what was going on! Perhaps he'll take my musical skills into account next time raises are due...

haolejohn
10-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Perhaps he'll take my musical skills into account next time raises are due...

That is my fear.

Soleman
10-24-2009, 06:12 PM
This year my wife and employees got together and remodeled my office and hung two guitars, two banjos, an old bowl back mandolin and three of my ukes on the walls.

I have an electronic drumset, congas, african drums, roland amp, and guitars set up in the back warehouse for employees to use during breaks (right next to the pool table and foosball table). After reading this thread, I will add a Ukulele. I play my uke all the time at work. I even played for my whole company at the last two employee "free lunch fridays".

I am on the road more than half the time and always take a Uke with me. My son and I are having an overnight in LAX on the way back from a week in HI and we brought two ukes. Recently, I started playing the uke at the beginning and end my medical lectures.....when everyone is filling out paperwork and I think it has improved my evaluations.

At first I was afraid of getting fired but then I realized that I own the place.

Ed

mokai
10-24-2009, 06:23 PM
I have an electronic drumset, congas, african drums, roland amp, and guitars set up in the back warehouse for employees to use during breaks (right next to the pool table and foosball table).

where do I apply :p

thejumpingflea
10-24-2009, 06:25 PM
This year my wife and employees got together and remodeled my office and hung two guitars, two banjos, an old bowl back mandolin and three of my ukes on the walls.

I have an electronic drumset, congas, african drums, roland amp, and guitars set up in the back warehouse for employees to use during breaks (right next to the pool table and foosball table). After reading this thread, I will add a Ukulele. I play my uke all the time at work. I even played for my whole company at the last two employee "free lunch fridays".

I am on the road more than half the time and always take a Uke with me. My son and I are having an overnight in LAX on the way back from a week in HI and we brought two ukes. Recently, I started playing the uke at the beginning and end my medical lectures.....when everyone is filling out paperwork and I think it has improved my evaluations.

At first I was afraid of getting fired but then I realized that I own the place.

Ed

Are you hiring?

dnewton2
10-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Are you hiring?

Words from my mouth.

Sorry TJF you couldn't hang in the EST. :p

I guess you are stuck in the Pacific north west with your Moore Bettah, MP, OHTA-SAN Kamaka, Kanilea, and what we don't know about.:drool:

bunnyflower
10-25-2009, 05:22 AM
This is freaking awesome. And, like everyone else, I definitely want to come work for you!!!

Ed