Slack Key Ukulele

Tropic Ukes

Reaction score
I'm thinking about expanding my ukulele horizon and satisfy a UAS urge at the same time with the purchase of a baritone uke. Has anyone found any online lessons for slack key or can recommend a favorite book? I am also open to any suggestions on a new or used baritone.

slack key ukulele

It looks like about ten songs in the book he teaches from different levels and I would say thirty plus short videos. I haven't gone all the way through but have really enjoyed what I have learned. I not very advanced so it takes me a long time to move forward. Not to mention not all that much practice. But it's still fun. Take a look for yourself, you really don't have to use a baritone uke to learn slack key.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll start watching for a deal on a Bari. Probably Kala or Lanikia, or something else on the lower end for now.

For whatever reason there always seems to be plenty of used baritone ukes on eBay....

Uke Uncle's aforementioned book is absolutely wonderful! Definitely get it!

There's also a book/CD by Heeday Kimura that is for standard tuned ukuleles, sopranos and concerts and such. http://www.elderly.com/books/items/541-11.htm

Another good resource is any slack key guitar instructional video/book/CD by Keola Beamer, Mark Nelson and/or Ozzie Kotani. Its pretty simple to put the guitar arrangements into a playable version for ukulele once you understand the basics of slack key. You have to modify the bass notes for ukulele, but the melody lines stay pretty much the same.

In a nutshell, I'd advise to get Uncle Dave's book first. Then go for the Ozzie Kotani guitar book/CD if you're still craving more.

As for the baritone, yeah, there really are some great deals to be found on Ebay. I ended up with two baritone uku. One I keep in taropatch tuning, DGBD, and the other I switch back and forth between the various alternate slack key tunings. And of course we have yet to talk about where to find chords for those tunings, strings, and a whole plethora of cool stuff!

Slack key is a wonderful style of music. It really inspired me. You're on a very interesting journey!!

Last edited:
I'm thinking about expanding my ukulele horizon and satisfy a UAS urge at the same time with the purchase of a baritone uke. Has anyone found any online lessons for slack key or can recommend a favorite book? I am also open to any suggestions on a new or used baritone.
Very interesting thread, I've played ki ho'alu guitar for years and never thought of playing on an ukulele. OH GREAT! Now my UAS will have to include baritones too!

Top Bottom