strings

fightthetide14

Reaction score
i just joined this forum and havent done to much research, so i probably should have done that! but
i have a oscar schmidt OU-3, i was wondering what strings would be best to put on it, and also if strings can make that much of a difference?
thanks!

Welcome to the forum.:D

I will answer your second question first. Yes, strings do make a difference.

First question not a simple to answer. There are a lot of variables in string choice. The ukulele, the player, what sound you are trying to achieve, low G/high G, wound or unwound.... That said there are numerous strings out there. I am still working through to find the right set for some of my ukes. Some strings that are popular that you might want to give a try are Aquilla, D'Addario and Worth are pretty popular. (there are more but those are a good start) Sorry I don't have clear answer for you, maybe someone with the same uke as you can help out.

Strings make a massive difference, and what you like will be based on your personal preferences.

Aquila Nylgut strings are very bright and crisp.
Worth Fluorocarbon strings are bright but with a more pronounced low end than Aquila.
Pure Nylon strings tend to be mellower.

Different strings bring out the best in different ukes. I've sworn by Aquilas for years but these days I'm liking fluorocarbon strings better.

awesome! being new to this, what is a good online website to buy from for strings, especially the worth fluerocarbons

I think it's simple. Sooner or later, in addition to whatever else you've tried, get around to trying these two brands: Worth (in brown and clear) and Aquila (in Nylgut). One or more of these options is likely to impress you very favorably; and yes, strings make a big difference in sound and playability.

Top Bottom