PDA

View Full Version : Squee! Just bought a Kala Kiwi!

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I just ordered/bought a Kala Kiwi soprano ukulele from MGM! :smileybounce: He's gonna put a strap button on it for me also.

I'm so excited! Yeah yeah, the UAS bug. :p

CountryMouse

Rzr
10-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Congrats! MGM is the best! Enjoy.

Rainhill
10-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Hurray! So this is your third uke already!?! Have you made yourself a strap yet, I liked your crotchered one for your Makala :)

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Hurray! So this is your third uke already!?! Have you made yourself a strap yet, I liked your crotchered one for your Makala :)

Yes, my third ukulele. :p

I ended up getting a strap button installed on the white Makala and bought a Levy leather mandolin strap, which I really like. It gives a better feeling of stability for me than the homemade strap.

I'm getting another of the same strap for the Kiwi also. :)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Congrats! MGM is the best! Enjoy.

I know--I got my white Makala from MGM also. :)

Excited CountryMouse :D

WhenDogsSing
10-20-2009, 09:25 AM
You should really enjoy that Kiwi...Kala makes some real nice sruff and that one is a good example...very playable with a good sound...intonation is great...:D

Rainhill
10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Yes, my third ukulele. :p

I ended up getting a strap button installed on the white Makala and bought a Levy leather mandolin strap, which I really like. It gives a better feeling of stability for me than the homemade strap.

I'm getting another of the same strap for the Kiwi also. :)

CountryMouse

Aw great. And I meant crocheted (I think), I mean something you knit, not something you scratch! :D

Cant wait for the vids CM. ;)

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
You should really enjoy that Kiwi...Kala makes some real nice sruff and that one is a good example...very playable with a good sound...intonation is great...:D

Thanks for your input--I already had watched Lori's review on YouTube, plus she also said I would enjoy it.

I already felt good about this purchase, but this makes me feel even better. :)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Aw great. And I meant crocheted (I think), I mean something you knit, not something you scratch! :D

Cant wait for the vids CM. ;)

Actually (being picky here), crochet and knitting are two different yarn crafts. :p I crochet better than I knit. :)

Well, I don't want my Makala to be neglected, though, so I'll have to see what I do about that.

CountryMouse

leftovermagic84
10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I've got a kala watermelon and i love it. I think you'll be very happy

sukie
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
congrats! those ukes look so fun. i get tempted...:drool:

NewMexicoDawG
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Congrats:)

snowy_zoe
10-20-2009, 10:41 AM
i'm jealous the kiwi has got to be one of the prettiest pineapples:confused:

hope you have fun with it, it's like a ukulele fruit salad!

zoe

Ahnko Honu
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I lust for a KALA pineapple Pineapple (:confused:) but was recently distracted by a Spongebob Pineapple.

Torn between two pineapples
Feeling like a fool
Buying both of them is breaking all the rules... :D

sukie
10-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I lust for a KALA pineapple Pineapple (:confused:) but was recently distracted by a Spongebob Pineapple.

Feeling like a fool

buy one now. buy one later. you know you will. you have a pineapple weakness.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-20-2009, 11:02 AM
mmm.. kiwi

Ahnko Honu
10-20-2009, 11:09 AM
buy one now. buy one later. you know you will. you have a pineapple weakness.

Just gave in to UAS madness and ordered the Spongebob Pineapple. :cool:

Playscool39
10-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Congrats with the purchase! It's a sweet one;)

bunnyflower
10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Yay, cool! Those are sooooooooo cute. I can't wait to see your next vid with it!!

ukeskywalker79
10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Congrats on your purchase. My wife bought me the kala pineapple last week and I love it. Comming from a concert I had to get used to the lower volume but overall its a great uke.

mailman
10-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Congrats on the new uke! Oh, and....

Pics, or it didn't happen!

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I've got a kala watermelon and i love it. I think you'll be very happy

Cool! I thought about a watermelon, but then I thought how neat an all-green ukulele would look at Christmastime, with some red ribbons at the headstock. :)

I've heard nothing but positive things about this line of ukes. Yay! :)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
congrats! those ukes look so fun. i get tempted...:drool:

Thanks! Oh go on, you know you want one. :p

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Congrats:)

Thanks!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
i'm jealous the kiwi has got to be one of the prettiest pineapples:confused:

hope you have fun with it, it's like a ukulele fruit salad!

zoe

Hehehehe! For a real ukulele fruit salad, see the pics of my Mahalo ukulele in my picture album. I'm not playing it at the moment because really, it sounds like a toy, plus I'm guessing the action is too high (it hurts my fingers). I need to put Aquila strings on it also.

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Feeling like a fool

I wonder who makes the Spongebob one?

The Kala ones are said to sound good. :)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Just gave in to UAS madness and ordered the Spongebob Pineapple. :cool:

Woohoo! Must see videos of you playing it!!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Yay, cool! Those are sooooooooo cute. I can't wait to see your next vid with it!!

Thanks! There's a song I've been working on, but it will NOT go with a pretty cheerful uke like this--it's a Depression-era blues song! How can I do that on such a ritzy-looking happy ukulele! The song will be a liiiiie. :p I'll use my white Makala for that.

I think I'm going to enjoy doing Christmas songs on it! Red ribbons at the headstock is what I'm thinking.

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Congrats with the purchase! It's a sweet one;)

Thanks!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Congrats on your purchase. My wife bought me the kala pineapple last week and I love it. Comming from a concert I had to get used to the lower volume but overall its a great uke.

I'm glad you like yours. I will probably be fine with less volume, as I don't have a very loud voice, so I don't want the uke to drown me out. :D

CountryMouse

UkuleleHill
10-20-2009, 01:46 PM
For some reason I thought that Squee had gotten a ukulele...

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/W/wolf-max/1055995689_pquizSquee.jpg

But I was wrong...

Congrats though!

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Congrats on the new uke! Oh, and....

Pics, or it didn't happen!

Thanks! Yes, I'll do pics and eventually videos too. As I said in another post, I have a song I'm working on that just won't go with such a pretty happy uke like this. We'll see what comes up. :)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 01:51 PM
For some reason I thought that Squee had gotten a ukulele...

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/W/wolf-max/1055995689_pquizSquee.jpg

But I was wrong...

Congrats though!

Noooo! No, I'm not Squee. :p I was just giving a squeal of delight and anticipation and excitement, ETC.! :D

CountryMouse

KC8AFW
10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Congrats on finally coming to term with your UAS. All this denial was unhealthy. I so want a Kala Kiwi (thanks a lot, Lori :p)...and a watermelon...and a pineapple...

Ukeffect
10-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Congratulations! You'll love your Kiwi...I've had mine for almost 6 months now...it's my official "picnic by the lake" uke. I know MGM changed out the stock strings for you, those GHS sound really flat to me. I had some Ko'olau golds laying around, and they sound and look great on my little Kylie! I have some Aquila's for when those finally go dead. Pics would be cool, vids are even better!:rolleyes:

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Congrats on finally coming to term with your UAS. All this denial was unhealthy. I so want a Kala Kiwi (thanks a lot, Lori :p)...and a watermelon...and a pineapple...

OMG, I've been watching Leslie (faithtruthlove07) play her watermelon ukulele on YouTube and.....eventually I am gonna want to get a watermelon uke TOO!!! I just don't think I like the pineapple one as much. Of course if I saw one in person, I'll bet I'd fall for it TOO! LOL!

AAAAACK! UAS has got a big hold on me!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Congratulations! You'll love your Kiwi...I've had mine for almost 6 months now...it's my official "picnic by the lake" uke. I know MGM changed out the stock strings for you, those GHS sound really flat to me. I had some Ko'olau golds laying around, and they sound and look great on my little Kylie! I have some Aquila's for when those finally go dead. Pics would be cool, vids are even better!:rolleyes:

I am just so excited--I have heard so many good things about the Kala Kiwi and nothing bad! Knowing MGM, I'll bet I have it some time next week! I already ordered a strap for it from amazon.com and it'll be here TOMORROW!

I gotta think of some happy(er) songs to do on the Kiwi. I'll do the sadder ones on the white Makala. :p No seriously, before I got the white one, I thought about getting a BLACK uke for sad/serious songs!

CountryMouse

pithaya9
10-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Kiwi, Watermelon, Pineapple you know you need 1 of each. Congrats on the new 'ukulele.

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Kiwi, Watermelon, Pineapple you know you need 1 of each. Congrats on the new 'ukulele.

Oh my, I'll just have to save up! Although there is Christmas coming...maybe someone will be generous. :p

CountryMouse

Ahnko Honu
10-20-2009, 06:20 PM
No seriously, before I got the white one, I thought about getting a BLACK uke for sad/serious songs!

CountryMouse

I was so close to buying a black Makala Dolphin from MGM before I saw Spongebob pineapple pants, the Makala lacking the shape I prefer so making the decision easier.
When is the expected arrival of Kiwi?

Ahnko Honu
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM

Just need to add coconut milk and rum to have a party. :D

CountryMouse
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I was so close to buying a black Makala Dolphin from MGM before I saw Spongebob pineapple pants, the Makala lacking the shape I prefer so making the decision easier.
When is the expected arrival of Kiwi?

MGM said he shipped it TODAY! So if I'm really really lucky, it'll maybe be here Friday or Saturday! Or else next week. :rolleyes:

CountryMouse

Lori
10-21-2009, 05:22 AM
I think you made a good choice with the Kiwi. I am still loving my Kiwi, and took it to work yesterday to play in the car during lunch. I really like the all over gloss finish (the pineapple is all matte, and the watermelon is gloss soundboard, matte sides and back) and the green binding on the side. And it's sound and playability stand up very well against my growing herd of ukes. Even with 6 ukes in the collection, and another on the way, it is not forgotten or overlooked. You will get lots of fun from this one!

–Lori

CountryMouse
10-21-2009, 08:16 AM
I think you made a good choice with the Kiwi. I am still loving my Kiwi, and took it to work yesterday to play in the car during lunch. I really like the all over gloss finish (the pineapple is all matte, and the watermelon is gloss soundboard, matte sides and back) and the green binding on the side. And it's sound and playability stand up very well against my growing herd of ukes. Even with 6 ukes in the collection, and another on the way, it is not forgotten or overlooked. You will get lots of fun from this one!

–Lori

Thanks for all your encouragement. Your review on YouTube was great incentive! :)

At some point I should be thinking of saving up for an all-wood ukulele (not laminate), maybe a concert (although I should see how one feels in person first--might be too large for me).

But for now, I'm sure I will really enjoy the Kiwi!

CountryMouse

franulele
10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
I've been drooling over the entire Makala fruity collection for the longest time! Just when I thought I had managed to quench my UAS, my pineapple uke appetite is growling again!

CountryMouse
10-22-2009, 02:00 AM
I've been drooling over the entire Makala fruity collection for the longest time! Just when I thought I had managed to quench my UAS, my pineapple uke appetite is growling again!

Mwahahahahaha! Give in! You know you want to! hehehehe!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-24-2009, 05:59 AM
So how fast is MGM?? I ordered my Kala Kiwi Tuesday afternoon and got it yesterday (Friday)!!! Wow!

Here are photos (http://www.bookmice.net/fleur/diary94.html#oct242009). You can also see them in my album here on UU.

MGM put a strap button on for me, at my request. That's a Levy leather mandolin strap in the photo and a Martin strap adapter which I got from Best Buy (thanks, Lori!).

It sounds really nice, richer than the Makala. It's not going to let me get away with some mistakes that the Makala does, though--I have to be sure my fingers is not too near the frets!

CountryMouse

franulele
10-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Looooove the baby pictures!!! Looking forward to a video!

Ahnko Honu
10-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Congrats on arrival of your new baby! ;) She's a pretty one.
Just curious, how does the sound of your Makala compare to your Mahalo?

CountryMouse
10-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Congrats on arrival of your new baby! ;) She's a pretty one.
Just curious, how does the sound of your Makala compare to your Mahalo?

I now know that the action on the Mahalo is too high. I don't know enough to fix the nut, but I'm not sure it's worth it for me to have it done by someone else, as the entire Mahalo kit cost about $30. So it's probably not going to see much playing. Someday it'll be a wall hanger (because it is cute), when we have some wall room! heh.

I got my white Makala from MGM, so he made sure the action on that was very good! I'd have to say that the Mahalo sounds like a toy compared to the Makala Dolphin. And the Kala Kiwi sounds richer than the Makala!

CountryMouse

Ahnko Honu
10-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Thank you for the review, I was curious because I hear allot of negatives about Mahalo 'ukuleles but my $45 Mahalo pineapple I bought over 10 years ago sounds great especially with new Aquila strings, and the action and intonation was fine. I guess either I was lucky or Mahalo quality control has decreased.

CountryMouse
10-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Thank you for the review, I was curious because I hear allot of negatives about Mahalo 'ukuleles but my $45 Mahalo pineapple I bought over 10 years ago sounds great especially with new Aquila strings, and the action and intonation was fine. I guess either I was lucky or Mahalo quality control has decreased.

At present my Mahalo has Worth brown light tension strings on it, and it sounds pretty crappy. I've got Aquila strings ready to put on, but I just HATE putting strings on. I have to have DH help me--it's a two-person job, with the classical guitar knotting at the bottom (at least for me).

Once I have Aquilas on the Mahalo, it might sound better. But I can see the strings ride much higher about the first fret on the Mahalo than on my other two that were set up by MGM.

I'm glad you got a good one. :)

CountryMouse

Ahnko Honu
10-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I'd recommend adjusting the action yourself, not as difficult or intimidating as it may sound, check out these threads:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5429
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2991

CountryMouse
10-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I'd recommend adjusting the action yourself, not as difficult or intimidating as it may sound, check out these threads out:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5429
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2991

Maaaaybe, at some point. I am such a wimp at things like this. :p Thanks for the links!

CountryMouse

Rainhill
10-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey CM, saw the pictures - happy uke day!!

I hope you'll do some vids for us all...

lukuleles
10-24-2009, 09:25 AM
those ukes look good enough to eat.

pamelamama
10-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Enjoy! Can't wait to see you play that cute thing!

WhenDogsSing
10-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Maaaaybe, at some point. I am such a wimp at things like this. :p Thanks for the links!

CountryMouse

Being as I'm in Cincinnati too, I'd be more than glad to do any setup work you might need on your Mahalo Dolphin or Kala Kiwi...Just give me a shout at:

enterline3000@yahoo.com

if you would want me to do that...I can do nut and saddle work and it will not cost you a penny...Good setup makes all the difference in the world...:D

CountryMouse
10-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Being as I'm in Cincinnati too, I'd be more than glad to do any setup work you might need on your Mahalo Dolphin or Kala Kiwi...Just give me a shout at:

enterline3000@yahoo.com

if you would want me to do that...I can do nut and saddle work and it will not cost you a penny...Good setup makes all the difference in the world...:D

Thank you SO MUCH for the offer! Things are a bit crazy here right now. I'll let you know.

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-24-2009, 02:04 PM
To everyone asking about videos: it might be a week or more before I get to doing anything. I have one song that I've been working on, but it's about poverty and such--I think playing that on a fancy new uke would make the video look like a lie. :D But I've got some other song ideas.

Cat'r and DH both say they can hear the richer sound of the Kiwi, but maybe it's because of the angle I'm hearing it from and maybe also because the Makala has started to really "sing", but I can't hear a lot of difference between the two except on some notes. I'm also wondering if I need different strings for the Kiwi...

CountryMouse

franulele
10-24-2009, 06:14 PM
CountryMouse,

I didn't think I could lower the saddle & nut either, but I finally got brave & tried. Never would have attempted such a feat on the guitar. All you need is a needle file, sandpaper, a dish towel & the kitchen table. And, oh yeah, those Aquilla strings. Here's my video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRCotIlYrEc&feature=channel)

At present my Mahalo has Worth brown light tension strings on it, and it sounds pretty crappy. I've got Aquila strings ready to put on, but I just HATE putting strings on. I have to have DH help me--it's a two-person job, with the classical guitar knotting at the bottom (at least for me).

Once I have Aquilas on the Mahalo, it might sound better. But I can see the strings ride much higher about the first fret on the Mahalo than on my other two that were set up by MGM.

I'm glad you got a good one. :)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-24-2009, 06:47 PM
CountryMouse,

I didn't think I could lower the saddle & nut either, but I finally got brave & tried. Never would have attempted such a feat on the guitar. All you need is a needle file, sandpaper, a dish towel & the kitchen table. And, oh yeah, those Aquilla strings. Here's my video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRCotIlYrEc&feature=channel)

Thanks for the link--neat video! WhenDogsSing offered to adjust my Mahalo for free, so I'm probably going to take him up on it. But I've favourited your video for any future inexpensive ukuleles that might need help.

CountryMouse