How to make a Kamaka

thanks for the link. love watching things like that.

reminds me of a PBS Hawaii show that aired a while back on our local PBS station, I think it was called, " Heart Strings: The Story of the Kamaka 'Ukulele". That deaf guy (I think his name is George Morita... I don't know why i remember that) that worked in the factory for 50 years in thi vid in your link had "only" been there for 47 at the time of the PBS show filming. Jake's in it, so is a bunch of others like Jim Beloff (the Fluke and Flea guy), Gordon Mark, Bryan Tolentino, and of course the Kamaka family. Good show... worth a look.

They had an aweessssommmmeeee kamaka documentary on pbs a few months ago, i wonder if this footage is from that? Either way awesome.

They had an aweessssommmmeeee kamaka documentary on pbs a few months ago, i wonder if this footage is from that? Either way awesome.

which did NOT air near me. I checked.

I must be one of the 316...because I actually copied that video onto my iPhone. Okay, yes I'm an obsessive personality. I just think it is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful instrument, and I love the quality of the video, including the background song -- which I'd really like to learn how to play.

thanks for the link. love watching things like that.

reminds me of a PBS Hawaii show that aired a while back on our local PBS station, I think it was called, " Heart Strings: The Story of the Kamaka 'Ukulele". That deaf guy (I think his name is George Morita... I don't know why i remember that) that worked in the factory for 50 years in thi vid in your link had "only" been there for 47 at the time of the PBS show filming. Jake's in it, so is a bunch of others like Jim Beloff (the Fluke and Flea guy), Gordon Mark, Bryan Tolentino, and of course the Kamaka family. Good show... worth a look.

yeah, I heard about it, but it never aired anywhere near me!!! I've been trying to find a dvd copy or something, but I can't find it on the PBS site!!!

Can you burn it to DVD?
yes i can... er, well, i've done it before for other programs that i've recorded, so i assume i can puzzle out the way to do it again.

i am planning to upload it in some format to one of my servers... for people to "evaluate"

i am not trying to make any money off of it. and i do not want to infringe on anyone's copyrights. So please nobody sue me. It will be in lower quality than the original airing. but that is a function of the compression used by my DVR.

I can't remember what format it is in at the moment but I am sure you could take it and burn it to dvd to play on a dvd player. like I said i've done it before so i know it's possible.

okay, since i don't want to get in trouble AND I don't want to overload my servers, i request that we keep this link minimally distributed...

http://theoks.com/stuff/Heart Strings.avi (right-click-"save as")

i hope that works. I don't know how long I will keep it on my server... so don't be surprised if it is not there someday.

it's a pretty big file (just over 200 megs) and that's after i compressed it even more. The compresson cuts the quality a bit, but i'd say it's still better than a youtube vid.
you might need to download a codec to play it with Media Player (I think its the Xvid codec). Mac users can use VLC to play it.

Last edited:
That was such a great film. Thank you so much for posting it. I've been seaching the net for this since it first aired (it never did make it out to my neck of the woods). Thank you again!

That was such a great film. Thank you so much for posting it. I've been seaching the net for this since it first aired (it never did make it out to my neck of the woods). Thank you again!
glad you enjoyed it!

As an aside to others... looking at the server stats, it appears that quite a few people are taking advantage of the link for the Heart Strings recording that I posted... not nearly enough to crash the server tho. ;) GO get it before I take it down!

great report, citizenjazz, and I loved that documentary. what heart.

specialmike: Thanks for the youtube vid. Hadn't seen that one. Great stuff.​
jinny: Thanks for the Heart Strings link. Hadn't seen that one, too. It wasn't shown in our area. Great story.​
citizenjazz: Great photos. Thanks.​

Top Bottom