Ukulele for my daughter?

DocB

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old daughter who seems to be extremely musically inclined. She sings, dances, and begs for us to turn on the radio whenever there is one within earshot. Naturally I'd like to foster this interest but I'm not sure the best route to take.

I was thinking about finding her an inexpensive uke (something laminate and durable) but something that would also allow her to eventually learn how to play beyond just strumming open strings. Not to mention buying her one gives daddy the chance to learn along with her/teach her. (I'm not currently a uke player but I've always wanted to learn.)

So my questions are two-fold:

1: Is this a wise purchase for a 2 year old who has musical interest and the capability to be relativity gentle with fragile items when told to do so?

2: What beginner uke would be high quality enough to allow learning on but also durable enough withstand a drop or two on the carpet?

I'd appreciate any help or advice you guys an offer.

Thanks!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20508

I made that small one there for my 3 year old...its near indestructible. I think spending $35 is a good investment into music, not just for your daughter, but yourself as well. Let her play with it sitting down, being careful while your around and you can play it when she's moved on to the next area of interest. Even if it only lasts a few months, i think its worth it.

I bought my then 3 year old daughter a pink Makala dolphin ukulele from musicguymic (on ebay). It is a surprisingly good sounding instrument that keeps pretty good tune and is very tough. My daughter hasn't really became interested in playing the ukulele, but I think it would be fine to buy one for your daughter to see if she has any interest. I think the Makala is good enough for an adult to learn on, and it's definitely durable enough to take abuse from toddlers.

DSC02470.JPG

I bought my kids both Mahalo's for about $30 each. This was last christmas and is when I started trying to play. The ukes have held up but I'm thinking of restringing them. I once thought they sounded good until I bought myself a kala ka-st in August. I think I'll restring the Mahalo's and they'll be fine. The Makala is supposed to be good and if ordered from MGM it will probably come with better strings.

I bought my kids both Mahalo's for about $30 each. This was last christmas and is when I started trying to play. The ukes have held up but I'm thinking of restringing them. I once thought they sounded good until I bought myself a kala ka-st in August. I think I'll restring the Mahalo's and they'll be fine. The Makala is supposed to be good and if ordered from MGM it will probably come with better strings.
I agree with the above messages, the Makala Dolphins are great ukes for kids (and adults too). I bought a purple one for my granddaughter and a red one for my grandson. She's 7 and he's 5 but their little brother who's only one plays with them and hasn't hurt them. They're pretty tough and with reasonable care I think will last a long time. The newer ones have a formed plastic body and look almost indestructable, but have a very pleasant sound, stay in tune, and are quite easy to play. MGM is definetly the way to go, he set them up especially for the keiki's and they are fairly easy for them to fret. Definately a great kids uke. One thing that's not great about them is the "bag" they come with, ask Mic to sell you a gig bag with them.

Last edited:
today, i learned the Benz owner named the company with his daughter's name, thus Mercedes Benz. Good for you!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Makala for my daughter in the sunburst color. I think she will be excited to play it and I won't mind giving it a try myself either. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom