Its here, my kanilea is finally here

keithy351

Reaction score
well as you's may or may not know i bought a kanilea K-1 tenor satin finish from gaby in music city cairns about 3 weeks ago, after paying for it a decided that i should also invest in a decent hard case so i orded a oahu hardcase, the case finally arrived at music city cairns on monday, was shipped out on tuesday and arrived this morning at 9am, wow, ive never gotten a parcel that fast, funny thing was i was up a 7am, sitting waiting watching the road, and i seen a DHL van driving up slowly, and as a let out a NO f,n way, he pulls into my next door neighbours driveway, first sigh was a f sake, second reaction was to go out and see what he was taking out of his van, and wouldnt you know it was a ukulele box, so i went running over saying excuse me sir but i belive thats addressed to Keith, he let out a well how do you sapose that, and i said trust me, im a ukulele player i know these things, and what do you know, it was for me, so we had a chuckle about it, he wanted to talk about junk, i brushed him off with oh well better get this inside and running inside i went, and here was what lied in the box for me, WARNING this may cause fainting, rapid heart beat, and utter smiles, cause this thing is awsome [BETTER PICTURES DOWN BELLOW]

Attachments

• DSCF0181.JPG
    DSCF0181.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0182.JPG
    DSCF0182.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0183.JPG
    DSCF0183.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0184.JPG
    DSCF0184.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCF0186.JPG
    DSCF0186.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Congrats on the new uke! She's a beauty!

Very nice uke. :cheers:

thankyou for your kind words, 2 things which i have really noticed and love

1. the finish, it looks like theres no finish on it, its so thin, and the instrament just comes alive with every strum

2. the strings feel a tad wider apart which is sooo dam good, picking is made so much easier, and strumming aswell.

one thing i can not get over is how light this instrament is, i mean its really light, lighter then even my cheapo saprano, which at first was a little hard to distingish but i am now able to play this instrament non stop for ages which i have, but having not played uke for neally a month now, i find myself forgetfull, argh and my fingues hurt from pressing the strings.

Beautiful!!

1 last picture, no flash to show off the grain haha

Attachments

• DSCF0186.jpg
    DSCF0186.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 85
It is so beautiful !

Have fun playing it ,...wow~....

Lucky you! I played a Kanilea Tenor (not sure which but it had a hawaiian island inlay) which the owner said was $2k, and it was super awesome. I just love it's quality.

unfortunately I don't enjoy the shape of the neck. It's square-ish and the way I hold the neck makes it uncomfortable. I'd definetly save up if it didn't have that shaped neck.

Lucky you! I played a Kanilea Tenor (not sure which but it had a hawaiian island inlay) which the owner said was $2k, and it was super awesome. I just love it's quality.

unfortunately I don't enjoy the shape of the neck. It's square-ish and the way I hold the neck makes it uncomfortable. I'd definetly save up if it didn't have that shaped neck.

I think the neck profile (and the wider fingerboard) on Kanileas suits guitar players more, at least this guitar player. When I play other ukuleles with a more rounded neck profile (and narrower board), I have a tough time.

To the OP, enjoy your Kanilea, they are truly great sounding instruments!

Jimmy

thankyou everyone for such nice words, i cant put it down, i think im going to play fingures down to the bone by the end of the night, its just so enjoyable to play, i think everyone feels this way when i new uke arrives

That's a very nice instrument you have there, welcome to the Kanile'a club :)

I have a K1-C myself, also in satin version. The satin version does not show off the grain like the UV finish but it has a very nice soberness about it.
Nice simple lines, I especially like the bridge design.

There is one thing I did not like about it, the plastic bridge pins. I immediatly ordered some ebony pins with MOP dots (just a couple of $$ online) and swapped them out.

I can guarantee that you will never regret this pruchase, enjoy :shaka:

Congrats on the new uke. I knew your day would come :D. Kanile'a do sound amazing. My Kanilea made Lanikai is very similar minus the TRU bracing. To this day I still grin ear to ear which each strum.

You will enjoy her for years to come. I also agree about the bridge pins. Definitely swap them out for some ebony/koa/snakewood etc. pins. Just hold on to the originals. The Aquilas are perfect for this uke. ENJOY!!!! ;)

Your uke is beautiful. Congratulations.

I've only been one one company tour, and it was to Kanile'a a couple of years ago.

The owner took me around and shared a lot of info. I was very impressed.

Can't wait to get one for myself.

I did get a t-shirt at least!

thanks everyone, i have never seen anything like it myself, i got it a 9am, its now neally 9pm and im still playing it :rolleyes: i recomend anyone who wants to buy one, these instraments are fantastic, kanile'a knows that there doing, i can only hope one day to do a factory tour

thanks everyone, i have never seen anything like it myself, i got it a 9am, its now neally 9pm and im still playing it :rolleyes: i recomend anyone who wants to buy one, these instraments are fantastic, kanile'a knows that there doing, i can only hope one day to do a factory tour

You absolutely should if you get the chance. I did the factory tour back in April, and I was amazed at how giving Joe and Kristen Souza are with their time. My mom and I were the only ones there and Joe spent an hour taking us around going through each step in the build process. Then he and Kristen gave me emotional support as I watched in terror while he installed the strap button on my Kanile'a. :)

The best part is that I saw them at the Southern California Ukulele Festival. I was amazed that not only did they remember me, they remembered my name! I cannot say enough about their customer support, and the warm and friendly attitude of the Souzas. They are truly a class act.

I might play my Kamaka more, but my Kanile'a will always have a very special place in my heart, as it was my first "real" ukulele, and it was made with such love and care by the Souza family.

Top Bottom