PDA

View Full Version : Some questions (tabs, chords, strategy etc.)

Ukeger
10-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Hey, I am playing the uke for 3 days now and I have some questions. What should i do? Learn all relevant chords for a song and then practice switching the chords while keeping the strumming or should i play tablatures (tabs are the melody of song, am i right?)? I dont know whats more important in the beginning. And which chords are essential? I'm using the chord finder from http://www.sheep-entertainment.nl/ukulele/chordfinder.html, but there are so many.
Would be cool if someone could tell me a good strategy for learning the ukulele.. thanks :)

Rzr
10-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Welcome to UU! I'm no expert but going through the video lessons and uke minutes is helping me. I find myself going back to them, every once and a while, to try and figure out things I don't know and go over things I think I know. Also try going From C - F - G7 back to C over and over again with different simple strums. I hope some of this might help, if not welcome anyways and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

ukeshale
10-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Hey! I'd personally concentrate more on chords rather than tab right now. I'm sure someone's gonna come along soon and give you some really great advice though. The main thing is that you enjoy it and maintain enthusiasm for learning the instrument. Here's some handy ukulele resources -

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15464

sukie
10-21-2009, 08:14 AM
i'm no expert either, but the essential chords to learn are the chords used in the songs you want to learn. some chords are easier than others, but don't shy away from the hard ones because sooner or later you will need them. the c, f and g7 are used a lot so for sure lean them.

pick songs that you enjoy. if you don't like the song very much you won't want to play as much. it's all about having fun whilst learning. i mainly fingerpick, but i didn't start out doing that. i got used to strumming first. it was when i realized that i'm not going to be singing that i switched over to picking. it's been a year and a half and i feel like i've just scratched the surface.

scales are good to learn -- you can work on intonation, plus you will start to learn the fret board.

somewhere on the internet -- sorry, don't remember where -- i printed off a copy of 5 foot two that transitioned through all the scales. that was a great exercise.

it goes without saying to check out uu minutes, lessons and uke got mail.

there are strumming patterns, picking patterns plus some really cool little flairs to add -- chunking, finger rolls, the list goes on.

try a little bit of some everyday and you'll learn a lot quickly.

my mantra is -- practice, practice, practice

welcome to UU!:D

buddhuu
10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Chords are a great place to start. With a few chords you can accompany a song. Working on chords is also a great place to start getting a solid feel for rhythm.

There are chords that are easier than others, and there are chords that are used more often than others.

The keys of C major and G major are amongst the most commonly used in a lot of the songs people play on uke. If you can learn the most common chords in those keys you'll be able to play loads of songs.

In C the main chords are C, F, G (and G7) and Am.

In G the main chords are G, C, D (and D7) and Em.

D is probably the most awkward of the chords listed above, but it's not too hard - with a bit of practice it'll come.

ukumic
10-22-2009, 02:07 AM
No expert here either, but I'd also suggest to start with some simple chords that can be used to play some (easy) songs you like. One good resource might be MusicTeacher2009 (http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTeacher2009) who has plenty of video lessons that often use rather easy strumming patterns which makes it easier to first concentrate more on chord switches.

I think one advantage of learning some chords first is that when you later on play tabs it will be easier to recognize certain chord shapes and variations thereof. This way it's often easier to know what fingers to use for fretting and you will be less afraid of difficult looking tabs (you probably will still be afraid of those difficult looking tabs that are in fact difficult :D).

Having said that though, you can of course do whatever you feel like will be the most fun to you. If you're more in the mood of fingerpicking and doing some easy tabs, just do it. :)

Ukeger
10-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the links and advices, i have decided to learn all basic chords and then pick a favorite song. musicteacher09 helps a lot :)
i will come back if i have other questions

mangorockfish
10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Check out www.chordie.com for song w/chords. It's great.