PDA

View Full Version : Hayward Ukulele Festival of Northern California

Dominator
04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.dominator.ukeland.com/Images/festival logo.jpg

15th Annual Celebration of the `Ukulele!

Keeping the Legacy Alive

A Tribute to `Ukulele Festival Founders Hollis Baker & John Ogao

I will be performing at 11:15am. Thanks in advance to those in and around the Bay Area of California that come out to support the performers.

When: Sunday, April 27, 2008. 10:30am - 5:00pm

Where: Hayward Adult School, 22100 Princeton Street, Hayward, CA, 94541

Entrance Donation: $5.00 Adults, children under 5yrs. free

__________________________________________________ _____________

Directions to the Northern CA `Ukulele Festival

Hayward Adult School
22100 Princeton Street, Hayward, California 94541-3817

From Hwy 880: Exit 'A' St. East, Left on Princeton, Right on Sunset.

From Hwy 580 South: Exit Hayward, straight on Foothill for about 2 miles, Right 'A' St., Right on Princeton, Right on Sunset.

From San Mateo Bridge (Hwy 92): Connect to 880 North, exit 'A' St. East, Left on Princeton, Right on Sunset.

Web Maps: you can use a web service like Google or MapQuest to confirm driving directions from your particular location.

From BART: Take train to Hayward station, connect to AC Transit bus #85. Get off at Princeton St., walk north (right) on Princeton for 3 blocks to Sunset. Turn east (right) on Sunset to school entrance. Bus #85 runs on the hour from the Hayward BART station, beginning at 7:40am.

Public transportation routes and schedules are subject to change. Please visit www.transitinfo.org for the latest information, or call:

BART - 510-465-2278
AC Transit - 817-1717 (from any area code in the Bay Area, then say "AC Transit" to reach AC Transit

russ_buss
04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
going to try my best to be there. i have a lot going on that day but i need to make some time to check this out. how long is your set, Dom?

Dominator
04-23-2008, 12:16 PM
how long is your set, Dom?

Russ, unfortunately, or maybe fortunately depending on how you look at it each performer only gets 10 minutes. Performers play all day long every 15 minutes. Five minutes to get on and off and 10 minutes to play. That gives me 3 songs with the last one being a shorter one.

russ_buss
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Russ, unfortunately, or maybe fortunately depending on how you look at it each performer only gets 10 minutes. Performers play all day long every 15 minutes. Five minutes to get on and off and 10 minutes to play. That gives me 3 songs with the last one being a shorter one.

ahhh, so time is of the essence. i shall scribble 11:15am on the back of my hand and then not wash until sunday.

cheers!

Ame
04-23-2008, 02:39 PM
How many UU members plan to be performing that day? :)

l0calb0y91
04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
How many UU members plan to be performing that day? :)
ill be there :]
im playing gently weeps...along with tico tico and supercali with the ukulele class.
everyone should go!

degracia
04-23-2008, 04:29 PM
So where will it occur exactly? I've never been to Sunset. Gymnasium? Field? Cafeteria? :confused:

I'm still working on my schedule for Sunday whether I have to go to Sacramento. Hopefully lotsa UU members go and support the board!

Tonya
04-25-2008, 05:24 PM
'Not performing (ha!) but I'll be there. I'll be snapping pix of Dominator for his 11:15 am performance--and hoping there's loco moco this year again...

What time are you on l0calb0y91? I wouldn't want to miss it.

funkster
04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Here's the schedule for the `Ukulele Festival on Sunday (got it from Taropatch website).

Morning
10:45 Pule lnvocation / Star Spangled Banner / Welcome
1) 11:00 The Faux Hawaiians
2) 11:15 Dominator
3) 11:30 Hui Ho'onanea
4) 11:45 KaNalu

Afternoon
5) 12:00 Templebar's Royal Hawaiian 'UkuleleBand
6) 12:15 lsland 'Ukuleles
7) 12:30 Kamakani
8) 12:45 Ukester Moe -Marcello Sequeira
9) 1:00 Chris Kamaka
10) 1:15 Hula Halau 'O Pi'ilani 'Ukulele Class
11) 1:30 Ogao Ohana
12) 1:45 Na Aikane -Special tribute to founders, Hollis Baker & John Ogao
2:00 'UkuleleFestival/PICAScholarship
13) 2:15 Kapalakiko Hawaiian Music Workshop Band
14) 2:3O Little 'Ukuleles (from'Ukulele Jams)
15) 2:45 Evan Tom
16) 3:00 Aldon Sanders
17) 3:15 Kaleponi Strings 'UkuleleClass with Na Hawaii 'O Kaleponi Hula
18) 3:40 Kalei Gamiao
19) 3:55 'Eono Kane
20) 4:1O AHA mele (Academyof Hawaiian Arts)
21) 4:25 Ka Ehu Kai, ClosingRemarks/ Drawings/ Hawai'iAloha
5:00 PAU

See you all Sunday

russ_buss
04-25-2008, 06:03 PM
thanks for the detailed schedule funkster! see you all there!

Ame
04-25-2008, 08:27 PM
If UU/or anyone else wants, I can do a little coverage of this day? Like make a little video with interviews, performances, etc. you know the little happenings around the festival.

Guting
04-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I guess I will come down and see wassup, good way to get me in the mood to play.

mwalimu
04-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry Dom, but I'll probably miss your performance. I don't think I'll get there much before noon. I'll be with the UFO guys near the gym, so come say hello.

IamRobbyah
04-26-2008, 03:51 PM
it'll be cool to see everyone! plus the weather is gonna be lovely too! quick question tho, is this a big event w/ vendors etc? some of my ppl want gifts an i want food =)

mwalimu
04-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Lots of vendors, Hawaiian style food. You won't go hungry and there are plenty of gifts to be found.

russ_buss
04-26-2008, 06:52 PM
mmmm loco moco. hope they have it. should we be getting together for a group UU photo??

Kaneohe til the end
04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
mmmm loco moco.

dude, anyone ever eaten a chili moco from zippys? the perfect meal

degracia
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Alright someone's gonna have to be on the lookout for me if we're gonna have a UU get together. I'm very forgetful of who people are. Plus I'm extra shy :o

Kanaka916
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
dude, anyone ever eaten a chili moco from zippys? the perfect mealBrah, you had to bring that up! Too effen bad no mo' one Zippys up hea, the closest thing is L&L - but not quite the same. Up hea in EG, we get Hawaiian Style Grill (http://hawaiianstylegrill.com/page2.html) (HSG) owned and operated by two Kalihi boys. Das whea we hang . . .

IamRobbyah
04-26-2008, 11:03 PM
mmmm loco moco. hope they have it. should we be getting together for a group UU photo??

how'r we gonna kno who's who?

"do u belong to the forum?" "scusie, do u belong to UU?" lol. yeah, im kinda shy myself. maybe if i see fred, i'll ask him whats up.

lookin forward to it mah bruddahs an sistah!

Ame
04-27-2008, 03:19 AM
Hmm someone should put up a sign to meet people from UU in one spot. Whoever is the first one there should do that. :)

or we could all where signs that say "Yea, I'm from UU, are you?!" or something along those lines.

in other news...Why am I still up, it's already past 5am. wtf.. o_o;;

russ_buss
04-27-2008, 06:38 AM
good point. i say we all just look for Fred. either that, or we play one big game of marco polo.

degracia
04-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Lol, I'll look out for Fred as well. I'm getting ready right now and I'll probably make it a little early..

degracia
04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow... just wow.. here goes my morning :(

I wake up, shower, get ready, and head out at 9:45. Grab something to eat at starbucks and on my way to Sunset. As I arrive at 10:10, it is packed like crazy. I find a far parking and walk with my uke to the sign-up table. Nervous as hell, there were hundreds and hundreds of people all in Hawaiian polos and whatnot.

So, I line up... and one of the ladies announced "Make sure you sign up, so we can continue the festivities in the future! but the lines getting long, go ahead and sign up at the other table. Remember, 18 and over."
So me, being my dumb nervous self ask, "What about if you're not 18?".
She replies, "Go ahead and tell those people at the desk that you're one of the musicians and just walk-on through."
So, I was excited. I walk towards the line and the guy tells me to sign-up, but right away one of the ladies asked "Are you 18? You can't go in if you're under 18"
I told them I was a musician, but she still hesitated to ask if I was 18. I said "No, but one of the staff members said I could walk right in."

She didn't let me, anyways. I walked to my car, very angry that I couldn't go in. I missed what must've been a helluva performance by plenty of people. I didn't know what to do driving home. The way gas is in Hayward, I was also pissed that I wasted about a 1/5 of my tank. It was just crazy...

rayan
04-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Wow... just wow.. here goes my morning :(

I wake up, shower, get ready, and head out at 9:45. Grab something to eat at starbucks and on my way to Sunset. As I arrive at 10:10, it is packed like crazy. I find a far parking and walk with my uke to the sign-up table. Nervous as hell, there were hundreds and hundreds of people all in Hawaiian polos and whatnot.

So, I line up... and one of the ladies announced "Make sure you sign up, so we can continue the festivities in the future! but the lines getting long, go ahead and sign up at the other table. Remember, 18 and over."
So me, being my dumb nervous self ask, "What about if you're not 18?".
She replies, "Go ahead and tell those people at the desk that you're one of the musicians and just walk-on through."
So, I was excited. I walk towards the line and the guy tells me to sign-up, but right away one of the ladies asked "Are you 18? You can't go in if you're under 18"
I told them I was a musician, but she still hesitated to ask if I was 18. I said "No, but one of the staff members said I could walk right in."

She didn't let me, anyways. I walked to my car, very angry that I couldn't go in. I missed what must've been a helluva performance by plenty of people. I didn't know what to do driving home. The way gas is in Hayward, I was also pissed that I wasted about a 1/5 of my tank. It was just crazy...

Ah man that sucks. Why is it 18+ anyways?

degracia
04-27-2008, 09:17 AM
I really don't know?

Entrance Donation: $5.00 Adults, children under 5yrs. free

Call for Performers
DEADLINE: February 29, 2008. Performers of all ages & skill levels are invited.
Important Note: Each year we receive applications exceeding the number of performance slots. Each performance slot must feature the `ukulele and is limited to 10 minutes. The Committee will notify selected performers by March 16, 2008.

Children under 5 are welcomed but not people who are 16? How about the performers, all ages, etc. The lady had no right to keep asking if I was 16, if I stated I was a performer.

rayan
04-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I really don't know?

Children under 5 are welcomed but not people who are 16? How about the performers, all ages, etc. The lady had no right to keep asking if I was 16, if I stated I was a performer.

What is there going to be cigarettes or naked ladies? Doesn't make sense.

degracia
04-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Thank you Ryan, it was my point exactly. I was just so pissed off at the fact I couldn't get in. I was so excited too :(

IamRobbyah
04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
what? u couldnt get in period, or to perform? hmm. im patiently waiting for my gf to get off so we can get out that way. i was jus in oakland havin dim sum wid my ppl, now i gotta go all the way back. oh well. sorry bout ur misfortune bruh :(

degracia
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
what? u couldnt get in period, or to perform? hmm. im patiently waiting for my gf to get off so we can get out that way. i was jus in oakland havin dim sum wid my ppl, now i gotta go all the way back. oh well. sorry bout ur misfortune bruh :(

It's fine. I actually wasn't really a performer. One of the staffs told me to go to the other table and walk right in, and if they asked, I should tell them I was one of the performers. I did, and they still asked for age. I mean, cmon now :confused::confused:

IamRobbyah
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
i jus dun get it tho... the festivities are for 18+ only? hmm...

GX9901
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
What's up with the festival being only open to people 18 and above? It's not a lame attempt to convince people that ukuleles are not "toys" is it???

degracia
04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
It's really stupid. I couldn't have gone in the wrong entrance or anything. I even asked the lady if this whole Festival was for 18 and older. I had forgotten about how they accepted kids 5 and under which I should've mentioned.

jjsdad
04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
I just got back from the festival and took my son with me. I didn't see anyone being turned away because they were under 18. I think you might have mistaken the fact that they were only asking those over 18 to register for something related to the school district in Hayward and getting funds to allow the district to support this event. If it's not too late, please try again.

The performances were great and I saw Dominator perform "Something". He was great! Also, got to meet in person Russ_buss, alden, BruddahMark, and the Dominator.
I took some video and photos which I hope to post later.

degracia
04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
It definitely had to be a mistake. I went over to the table and even tried to walk my way in. It was a no-no and she even calrified "Only people over 18 can go in".

k0konutz
04-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I didn't get a chance to go, super bummed. It was on my mind all morning.
The worst part is that I missed all the cigarette vendors and strippers at this 18+ venue.

Guting
04-27-2008, 02:42 PM
lol that sucks!

shoulda just said "O no worries I 21" haha

I never went, never had enough $$$ to enjoy.

degracia
04-27-2008, 03:14 PM
lol that sucks!

shoulda just said "O no worries I 21" haha

I never went, never had enough $$$ to enjoy.

No way. Its a $5 entrance fee right? And if I woulda said I'm 21, that damn lady woulda still asked for ID.

rayan
04-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Maybe you should have gone the other way and pretend to be 5? :confused: It's like saying, anyone in the ages of 6-17, you're not allowed.

l0calb0y91
04-27-2008, 05:28 PM
just came back from the festival..
it was totally awesome. great performances. got to see Dominator perform in the morning but couldn't find him afterwards..:[

i had a great time performing as well.

if you didn't go, you missed out!

russ_buss
04-27-2008, 05:30 PM
oh bummer man. there were a lot of kids running around so i think you must have spoken to somebody that was misinformed or confused. that really sucks for them to ruin it for you.

it was pretty fun although they didn't have loco moco.:( we got to see Dominator do his thing on stage. he was awesome to say the least.

also got to meet some fellow undergrounders: Ame, NoLine, JJsDad, JJsDad's son (wrap your head around that one), Dominator and Bruddah Mark. nice to meet you all!

i kept an eye out for Fred, but alas, couldn't spot the dreads...

Kaneohe til the end
04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
how'r we gonna kno who's who?

theyll probably be holdin a uke, and if not just wear your UU tshirt

Dominator
04-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I really don't know?

Wow, sorry that your experience at the fest was so messed up. I honestly have no idea what the "rules" or city or county ordnances are regarding an event like this. I think the reference to the under 5 age assumes they are accompanied by and adult. Any young child would not have been able to get in without a parent or someone. Again, I'm just guessing.

Let me ask, was anyone there that was under 18 that bought their ticket and went inside to see the performances that weren't with a parent or someone older?

Dominator
04-27-2008, 06:53 PM
also got to meet some fellow undergrounders: Ame, NoLine, JJsDad, JJsDad's son (wrap your head around that one), Dominator and Bruddah Mark. nice to meet you all!

i kept an eye out for Fred, but alas, couldn't spot the dreads...

Russ, looks like there was a few more UU members there than I thought. Sorry I didn't get to meet all of you. It was a pleasure to at least get to say hello to the few of you.

Ha, my wife and I got something to eat after my performance and then for the most part hung out and jammed with Bruddah Mark and caught a couple of other performances in the late afternoon. It was a beautiful day for an uke fest for sure.

l0calb0y91
04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Russ, looks like there was a few more UU members there than I thought. Sorry I didn't get to meet all of you. It was a pleasure to at least get to say hello to the few of you.

Ha, my wife and I got something to eat after my performance and then for the most part hung out and jammed with Bruddah Mark and caught a couple of other performances in the late afternoon. It was a beautiful day for an uke fest for sure.

yes. it was an outstanding festival.
its kevin. couldn't find you dom but im sure we will meet up sometime down the road.
get my email?

degracia
04-27-2008, 07:56 PM

YES, it was indeed a beautiful day! One of the sunniest it has been in Hayward. Maybe because fellow UU members like Dom, Russ, etc stepped into town. Too bad it had to be ruined by my situation.

I would've loved to see you perform Dom. One of the reasons I wanted to go is to see you perform a couple G Harrison songs.

Ame
04-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I dont know what that thing they made us sign, and it wasnt limited to 18 and over people. O_o;; They're on crack seriously. There were a lot of youngins there haha that's lame. They didnt ask me for my age, but I guess it's ok since i AM 18 haha but personally I dont think I look it.. Anywho, that sucks man because I was looking for you.

So today was pretty awesome. I got a ride from Eddie (NoLine) to the place because I'm directionally challenged and didnt want to try and get there on my own. So, thanks Eddie! :D

I missed out on Dom's performance.. got there kinda late, a little after 12pm. Anyone get it on film? oh wait they're selling DVDs.. T.T;;

But I did see a lot of awesome performances. I was so jealous of everyone mad uke skills haha I almost didnt want to take mine out and play. I met Russ and Alden, but I also saw Dominator (or at least I assumed it was him, but I hesitated to say hi haha) I also saw Mr. Mike DaSilva and also hesitated to say hi haha gah I'm lame. xP Anywho, it was EXTREMELY HOT. I almost died haha but Eddie and I sat in the shade for a bit and jammed a little. good times. There was a ton of old people. sorry I just had to say it, but dang. seriously.

Well today was all and all pretty good. The raffle got me all excited I was 1 number away from winning a trip to HI (with Russ's or Alden's ticket haha) but yea it was great meeting you guys (and seeing from far away haha) Today was a good day. :D

IamRobbyah
04-27-2008, 08:17 PM
ey, too bad bout ur situation. did u at least go into the vendor area? i honestly believe that this lady was misinformed, cuz i saw lots of young'ins runnin around.

i got there after 2 an i didnt meet up with anyone from hea. kept my eye out tho. i guess i did see bruddah mark, i knew i recognized that guy from somewhea.

guting: you coulda jus kicked it outside where the vendors were. i never did go inside, jus cuz we got there late an meh po' boy too!

overall, it was a cool time =) hopefully next time i'll get to meet yall

russ_buss
04-27-2008, 08:30 PM
...Anywho, it was EXTREMELY HOT. I almost died haha but Eddie and I sat in the shade for a bit and jammed a little. good times.

okay, so it wasn't just me. i felt like i was melting. i'm used to the cold foggy SF weather (insert joke about too many rice cookers here).

wish we had a chance to jam with you guys. next time! we did get a chance to jam with JJsDad and son for a little while. also good times.

so anyway, see you guys at the next bay area meet.

jjsdad
04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey, Russ, nice meeting you and thanks for watching my son while I went to grab my uke. (Although he's old enough to take care of himself!). It was fun playing the blues with you. I only wish that I knew how to jam with others so that we could have played more. Maybe we could decide on a few tunes to learn before the next Bay Area meet up.

Also, the thermostat in my car said 84 degrees, so it was pretty warm. When I got home (in SF) it was 20 degrees cooler.

mwalimu
04-28-2008, 04:54 AM
They wouldn't let you in? I don't know, we were jamming with a few kids who had to be in high school and there were plenty of kids around.

russ_buss
04-28-2008, 08:27 AM
a couple of photos from the festival yesterday.

http://www.nplease.com/haywardukefest1.jpg
dominator takes the stage. he was awesome. unfortunately this guy's noggin absorbed the bulk of the camera flash....

http://www.nplease.com/haywardukefest2.jpg
jjsdad, alden and i got to jam for a second before the blazing sun sent me whimpering home to the cold comfort of SF.

http://www.nplease.com/haywardukefest3.jpg
this was a shot of the beginnings of dasilva's crew. he had a big ol' entourage later that day and they were all jamming in a circle. pretty cool sight.

FrankNoCal
04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I was there yesterday. Beautiful day! And there was an endless supply of ukulele music everywhere you walked. It was my first uke fest and I will try to make as many as possible from now on. I had a large little entourage myself with my wife and kids, my dad, and my sister and her family. There was about twelve of us. Me and two of my nephews got new ukes and my kids got lots of little trinkets. I got the Lanikai Solid Mahogany Concert from Allegro, my nephew got a Kala Concert and my other nephew got a Kala Long Neck Soprano from EC Music Works. We also ate beef stew, chili, kalua pig, shaved ice and lots of soda and water. I was carrying around my Rogue Starter Soprano but kept in the gig bag cause I was shy. I stood and watched Dominator, BruddahMak and someother guy (with a yellow Fluke) play and sing Drop Baby Drop for a few minutes at one of the booths but I was too shy to introduce myself. They were good! We all had a good time and went home tired. Can't wait till next year!

mwalimu
04-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Actually, that's not DeSilva's crew, that's the UFO (Ukulele Friends Ohana) from Marin. I'm behind the tree. We played until closing time, it was a great day.

IamRobbyah
04-28-2008, 08:47 PM
haha! glad to kno that im not the only shy one... i would love love love a bay meet sometime, cuz i really need to improve my skills. the only way, i feel, is to gain influence from those mo betta than me.

mwalimu, lemme kno when u guys are havin anotha jam session. i dun mind bein the baby of the crowd.

Tonya
04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
It was definitely a mistake about the "under 18 not allowed" thing. The tables under the awning were just for filling out the ADA (or something like that) statement so they can get reimbursement from the state under the "adult education" category. People were encouraged to fill out the forms but it wasn't a requirement for entry. The entry itself to the auditorium, though, was only at one door (the one at the far left); if you tried to go in the other one, they'd stop you (unless you were a performer or a volunteer). Once inside the *correct* door you paid your $5, got your hand stamped and went into the auditorium itself. I didn't see anyone stopped for any reason from buying one of the tickets inside--you just had to run the gauntlet of the not-so-informed volunteers at the tables first... I'm sorry you wasted that time/money and missed out on a great event.

Dominator, Joanne (his wife) and I had breakfast together at the hotel before the festival and, while he said he was a bit nervous, not a bit of that showed when he performed later that morning. He was good--but what do you expect???

I have lots of photos and account of the festival (long, but detailed, if you're really interested) on my blog. Go here: http://ukuleletonya.com/blog/

mwalimu
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Tonya - I see you got a picture of the UFO crew. Right smack in the middle of the picture is my yellow chair, empty. I feel like a ghost!