Question on pricing a guitar.

ZombieSaint

Reaction score
Okay, I have an old guitar I bought back in the late 80's. I never play it anymore. So, I'm thinking of selling it but...

I have no idea what it should bring.

The guitar is an Ovation model 1669, I think the last time I checked the manufacture date it was mid 80's somewhere. It's got the full on abalone inlay on face and neck. It's a sunburst. I believe it has two plugs for an amp, though admittedly I never used that feature. At the time they said something about stereo pick ups. Back then I paid around $800 for it and it was considered a pretty good deal.

So flash forward to today, I'm asking the kid at Guitar Center how would I go about finding a price for it and he says, "Used Ovations, especially that old, are pretty much worthless. You might get $100 for it."

Whereas I wasn't expecting to profit on this instrument, I know it's old tech and not all wood, I can't help but feel he may be low. I haven't found any similar ones on eBay or anywhere else for that matter. So I can't necessarily refute him.

So I ask, "How do you go about finding a proper price for something like this?"

The experts on Ovations are at The Ovation Fanclub. I have four Ovations. I have bought two this year (and sold one) all for well under their true value. It is true that you won't get what it's worth most likely, but $100 seems very low. USA made Custom Legends are very nice guitars.

It's quite possible you won't get over $500 for it. Guitars are just a bargain in today's economy, and selling one... it's a bad time.

Don't take "the kid at Guitar Center's" advice on Ovations. GC is notorious for knowing next to nothing about Ovations. They sell so many Celebrities that the don't recognize the value of the USA models. The statement "Used Ovations, especially that old, are pretty much worthless." just shows his extreme ignorance. Six of the seven Ovations I've had were used, and fantastic guitars.

Let me go and ask at the OFC. I've been a member for years, and will get a good answer, whereas somebody who registers and then posts about an item for sale might get hammered (as he might here as well).

Last edited:
Hey thanks man, I appreciate the assistance.

If it would help in pricing, I can take pics and such.

The idea in selling it is that I never play guitar anymore and even with that one gone I would still have an old Seagull Minstrel to play if I really wanted to play. The money could go towards a cool uke that I would play.

As to the actual selling, I'm fairly new to this forum and the idea of selling in a forum seems worrisome. I'm an unknown who knows very little yet. Initially I was thinking like eBay or something but I had no idea where to set the price.

If the Ovation dudes have an idea of a good starting place, that would just rock.

As to the actual selling, I'm fairly new to this forum and the idea of selling in a forum seems worrisome. I'm an unknown who knows very little yet. Initially I was thinking like eBay or something but I had no idea where to set the price.
I would try craigslist first. No shipping, no possible damage in transport, deal locally, take cash only. :)

Okay, I have an old guitar I bought back in the late 80's. I never play it anymore. So, I'm thinking of selling it but...

I have no idea what it should bring.

The guitar is an Ovation model 1669, I think the last time I checked the manufacture date it was mid 80's somewhere. It's got the full on abalone inlay on face and neck. It's a sunburst. I believe it has two plugs for an amp, though admittedly I never used that feature. At the time they said something about stereo pick ups. Back then I paid around $800 for it and it was considered a pretty good deal.

So flash forward to today, I'm asking the kid at Guitar Center how would I go about finding a price for it and he says, "Used Ovations, especially that old, are pretty much worthless. You might get $100 for it."

Whereas I wasn't expecting to profit on this instrument, I know it's old tech and not all wood, I can't help but feel he may be low. I haven't found any similar ones on eBay or anywhere else for that matter. So I can't necessarily refute him.

So I ask, "How do you go about finding a proper price for something like this?"

If it is in good shape, has a nice neck, and doesn't need a re-fret, I might be interested. I am in Columbus, Ohio.

I was going to try to post some pics, but in the dark, I just can't get any detail without the flash washing everything out.

Also it seems flash photography and shiny finishes are counter productive. I'm working out of home tomorrow, maybe the daylight will help.

The serial number is 325807.

I like to think it is in good shape. Back in the day, I played it, so it has some wear, but not much, because I didn't play it that much sadly. The fretboard is smooth and kind of shiny.

I never noticed before, but the one of the two jacks on the back says Mono and the other says Stereo.

Wow, Columbus is like six hours from here almost due west, if map quest isn't lying to me.

I was going to try to post some pics, but in the dark, I just can't get any detail without the flash washing everything out.

Also it seems flash photography and shiny finishes are counter productive. I'm working out of home tomorrow, maybe the daylight will help.
Then don't use flash. Turn on an overhead light or go for daylight without the flash.

A good trick if you do use flash is to stand WAY back and use your camera's zoom function. That puts distance between the flash and the object, so it really helps cut down on any glare on a shiny surface that a close flash might cause. :)

Okay so the trick was the daylight. I took a bunch of pictures, but this gives a general idea of condition.

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 13
  • fretmid.jpg
    fretmid.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 12
  • neckback.jpg
    neckback.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 11
It does look to be in pretty good shape. That is my favorite finish on the Ovations of that period. I'd have to look it over before I could tell you what it is worth on the market, so to speak.

I have owned six Ovation guitars over the years. I don't own one at the moment, though.

I have no idea how we could get you a look at the guitar in person without incurring a pretty hefty travel expense on either end. That being the case and since I don't need to rush to sell it, I can hang tight on it.

Maybe I can try that Craig's List idea someone made on here at some point.

Thanks to all you UU guitar guys for the advice here. At least now I have a good idea of at least where the pricing on this guitar starts.

Top Bottom