kenya

Any 'ukulele is a good idea but I personally would prefer to take something rugged and stable like a Flea or Fluke. I'd rather take a Mele than a expensive K brand.

haha very true..i was looking at fleas and flukes but when i played them i didnt enjoy them very much and for that money id rather get a solid body mahogany mele...cheaaa love solid bodys

As long as you keep it properly humidified and in a hard case, it should be fine. I love playing flukes, and can't reccomend them enough. But if you want a solid mahogany, the Mele is a good choice. I don't know how hot it gets in Kenya, but also watch the temperature in your case b/c wood glue does not like extreme heat.

It depends on what you are doing. Kenya has a similar climate to California, mostly it's a dry place, but it has rainy seasons - just like California. If you will be on the coast, however, it's very hot and very humid all the time.

If you are roughing it, make sure you have a good case and you should be ok. I'd love to know what the Kenyan's think of ukes. They loved my guitar and there are many fine guitarist and musicians there.

How do you feel about letting others try out your Mele? I would think you might get a lot of interest if you bring out an unfamiliar musical instrument. If you think you might be nervous about it, you might consider getting something else. How about a nice Makala Dolphin bridge? Or any of the Makalas would be an excellent travel uke, and inexpensive enough to ease the moments when curious children and adults what to try it out. In this case, a laminate uke would work to your advantage with weather changes and rough treatment. I was very impressed with the sound quality of the Makala Dolphin, and my Kala Kiwi has been a stellar performer.

–Lori

..i was looking at fleas and flukes but when i played them i didnt enjoy them very much .....

:eek:

You're a rarity 'round here!

I can't imagine a better uke for traveling overseas than a Flea or a Fluke, especially with a plastic fretboard. Unless you're going to really baby it in a very hard case, I'm not sure I'd take a solid.

Have you considered that new Ohana with the plastic bowl back and solid spruce top? That looks really cool!

Im going on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for two years so yes ill be teaching but it wont be the chimps haha. Ya i probably should get something a little cheaper and laminate, that can just be banged around, BUT those meles are so pretty and i have found myself an excuse to get one....hhah

haha very true..i was looking at fleas and flukes but when i played them i didnt enjoy them very much and for that money id rather get a solid body mahogany mele...cheaaa love solid bodys
I'm with mangouker, here. I've never really liked the feel of fleas & flukes. Could be the strings they had on them at the store. My travel uke is a $30 Leolani, the kind sold at tourist traps in Hawaii. The intonation gets a little wonky high up the fretboard, but it's great for knockin' around without worrying about it, and it actually plays pretty well (after tightening the friction pegs, & polishing off the varnish they slop over the frets). But for sheer durability, a flea/fluke can't be beat (no pun intended - I guess, actually it can). Have fun in Kenya.

I brought a cheapy ohana laminate soprano to S.Africa for 2 months over july and august and it survived in a tent with below zero nights and days as hot as 95.

My humble opinion is that if you are going somewhere like Kenya for two years you will have plenty of down time to play the ukulele. And if it was me I would get real tired of a cheap uke. Sounds like you will have a house or something. Take an instrument you will enjoy. You will need that little something comforting some days, and a cheap instrument may be more frustrating than comforting. Get the Mele if that is what you want. Just my thoughts.

Take care and enjoy your travels.
Thomas

Im going on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for two years so yes ill be teaching but it wont be the chimps haha. Ya i probably should get something a little cheaper and laminate, that can just be banged around, BUT those meles are so pretty and i have found myself an excuse to get one....hhah
Sorry, I replied before I saw that you'd be there for a couple years. By all means, bring something you can live with and can't live without! Enjoy your hame away from home and let us know how things are going there if you can.

hey thanks for the info paul ill shoot him an email. Ya i figure i should try to get something that i can really enjoy cause its going to be awhile before i get another one.

Top Bottom