Once Again, The Kiwaya KS-1

existence

Reaction score
Hey everybody, even though I just bought a second hand Koaloha concert, which is obviously a great ukulele, I wanted to once again sing the praises of the 200 dollar Kiwaya KS-1 soprano. Yes, the one with the laminate body. I wrote a few things about it when I got it, but the other night I finally replaced the stock Fremont Blacklines, which had intonation problems, with some Worth clear mediums. It sounds even better now, and all intonation issues have disappeared...as a matter of fact, the intonation is now as close to perfect as anyone could expect. The intonation is slightly better than my Koaloha actually, which goes just a little sharp on the E string, though not enough that anyone without a chromatic tuner would notice.

This is a punchy-as-hell miniature cannon, with real resonance and real tone. I visited a local uke shop over the weekend, and had the opportunity to try out many sopranos I had only read about previously. Mostly Kalas and Ohanas, many of them solid wood instruments. Not one of those ukuleles sounded as good as the KS-1 IMO, which probably sounds like owner's bias, but I am more interested in which uke sounds better than in verifying any preconceived notions. To reiterate, I believe this unpretentious looking, no frills laminate sounds better than any of the solid wood ukuleles in its price range (that I have tried.)

And I swear I'm not a Kiwaya shill! Just an increasingly pleased owner, who will one day be purchasing a KTS-4!

...and received it last tuesday. I´m still very happy with the sound, the feel and the look of this featherweight instrument.

...and received it last tuesday. I´m still very happy with the sound, the feel and the look of this featherweight instrument.

Pictures? We really like pictures. Ooh...and a video. We want to hear what it sounds like, too. Congrats on the new uke!

Hey, nice to see a fellow Kiwaya fan. How are you liking those low profile frets? Pretty classy, I think. I just like to look at the thing...mine has absolutely zero workmanship flaws!

Enjoy it....

I think the KS-1 will be my next uke. I have been looking at them for a while now and listening to what others (owners) have said about them. Once I get one, it will be my last uke purchase.........

Just ordered a Kiwaya KS-1 on Saturday from Elderly. Hoping all the good things I've heard are true. I used to own a Kiwaya KTS-4 and foolishly sold it, so I hope the tone is even remotely close. I know the quality is there with Kiwaya. Bought some Worth medium brown strings to throw on it.

Last edited:
One of these days, the KTS-4 will be mine. I've never played one, so I can't say how it compares to a KS-1.

I have Worth CMs on mine, and they're darn punchy. I believe I'll try the browns next.

@ existance

The frets are pleasing. It´s flawless and sounds wonderful.
But if You ask me, what I like most: It is to feel it in my hands.

I have a KTS-4 and it is really a wonderful instrument. I was ready to order a KS-1 from Elderly, but I got a good deal on a used KTS-4 and couldn't pass it up. I think Kiwaya makes very nice instruments.

Top Bottom