PDA

View Full Version : UAS for dummies

ukecantdothat
10-22-2009, 06:48 PM
At the risk of sounding, um, (I don't want to say "stupid" cuz I got me a bit of a red reputation last time!) let's say... like the newbie that I am, but what is this "UAS" reference I keep seeing?

Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome?

Just a guess...

ritzer012
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
ding ding ding! :)

ukecantdothat
10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
At the risk of sounding, um, (I don't want to say "stupid" cuz I got me a bit of a red reputation last time!) let's say... like the newbie that I am, but what is this "UAS" reference I keep seeing?

Just a guess...

Hobgoblin Steve
10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
correct!
there is no cure...only Zuul!

/drunks

ukecantdothat
10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
ding ding ding! :)
Wow. Guess I'm not such a dummy, after all. Well, I am, but that's for a different thread.

And a big "oops" and sorry to the moderator (seeso?). I hit the submit button twice, I guess, so the thread showed up twice. See? I am a dummy. G'head and dump it. In fact G'head and dump this too, since I got my answer, unless you think it's useful to other dummies, I mean newbies.

salukulady
10-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow. Guess I'm not such a dummy, after all. Well, I am, but that's for a different thread.

And a big "oops" and sorry to the moderator (seeso?). I hit the submit button twice, I guess, so the thread showed up twice. See? I am a dummy. G'head and dump it. In fact G'head and dump this too, since I got my answer, unless you think it's useful to other dummies, I mean newbies."My name is Sally and I have UAS".
Hey Thom, Here's a video 'splaining the illness.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nvmfcFI-78
Most of us here have it. I myself own 12.

Ahnko Honu
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
United American States ;)

haolejohn
10-23-2009, 02:30 AM
United American States ;)

LOL!!!! I think it might be the nyquil.

buddhuu
10-23-2009, 02:34 AM
My UAS is in remission, but you never know... :eek:

I Ukulista
10-23-2009, 02:51 AM
Remission, but remember there is a Kala travel ukulele, a tenor I believe it is, sitting on a shelf in paradise and it's got your name on the label.

molokinirum
10-23-2009, 05:11 AM

Just a guess...

Ahhh...UAS be VERY carefull, once you get infected there is no known cure!!:iwant::eek::music:

ukecantdothat
10-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Ahhh...UAS be VERY carefull, once you get infected there is no known cure!!:iwant::eek::music:
This sounds very dangerous, indeed. Now I'm scared. Just yesterday I recieved a Mainland concert, mahogany even, and... and... it's... g-g-g-... glossy! I even had them rig it with a pickup! But it gets worse. I also got a tweed case. TWEED, Jerry. TWEED!

Now the question is:

I have a custom USAF cigar box coming to me from some "dealer" on eBay (A dealer) so I can build a uke out of some, ahem, spare parts I found in my driveway (see avatar). Does this count as UAS? Because technically it's not a uke until I glue a neck on it.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
10-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Great Idea Hobgoblin Steve, about the support band.

Brown and white, classic UU colors!

I hope it's in the works. Maybe we could collect a pot (of money/contributions) if enough of us want the project to go forward.

I'm in.

ukecantdothat
10-23-2009, 06:36 AM
correct!
there is no cure...only Zuul!

/drunks
Fantastic plan, my man!

If you think you have an UAS problem, you have an UAS problem.

retrozombi
10-23-2009, 07:31 AM
My UAS is flaring. I can tell myself that 7 sopranos are enough (for now) but I only have 1 tenor! Want... more... tenors... :drool:

salukulady
10-23-2009, 07:36 AM
My UAS is flaring. I can tell myself that 7 sopranos are enough (for now) but I only have 1 tenor! Want... more... tenors... :drool:
Don't forget about concerts and the poor lonely baritones....they need lovin' too.

retrozombi
10-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Don't forget about concerts and the poor lonely baritones....they need lovin' too.

AAAAAGGGHHH!!!!! I don't have any concerts yet! :iwant:

(I can pretend that my guitars are mutant friends for the baritone. We just don't mention those strange extra strings.)

salukulady
10-23-2009, 07:46 AM
AAAAAGGGHHH!!!!! I don't have any concerts yet! :iwant:

(I can pretend that my guitars are mutant friends for the baritone. We just don't mention those strange extra strings.)(I String my Bari Gcea so he doesn't feel left out.)

ukecantdothat
10-23-2009, 08:09 AM
(I String my Bari Gcea so he doesn't feel left out.)
Oooh. Snap! Boi-oi-oi-oi-oi-oing......

dab745
10-23-2009, 08:54 AM
This sounds very dangerous, indeed. Now I'm scared. Just yesterday I recieved a Mainland concert, mahogany even, and... and... it's... g-g-g-... glossy! I even had them rig it with a pickup! But it gets worse. I also got a tweed case. TWEED, Jerry. TWEED!

Now the question is:

I have a custom USAF cigar box coming to me from some "dealer" on eBay (A dealer) so I can build a uke out of some, ahem, spare parts I found in my driveway (see avatar). Does this count as UAS? Because technically it's not a uke until I glue a neck on it.

No no no... It all counts my friend. It all counts. You have it bad.
I just wanted to say Good luck and were all counting on you.

ukecantdothat
10-23-2009, 08:58 AM
No no no... It all counts my friend. It all counts. You have it bad.
I just wanted to say Good luck and were all counting on you.
That's what I was afraid of. I'll try not to let you down.

Oh, GOD!!!! I blame myself!

phanzo
10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Remission, but remember there is a Kala travel ukulele, a tenor I believe it is, sitting on a shelf in paradise and it's got your name on the label.

Man, I had never seen those travel Kalas before. They look fun! Too bad I just bought a Mainland Honeybee, otherwise I might get one. It arrives tomorow! My 1st Mainland, can't wait! :drool:

I Ukulista
10-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Kala have one set aside just for you....Spooky......got you name on it......!

JT_Ukes
10-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Know how you can tell a beginning ukulele player...

He only has one Ukulele.

Sambient
10-25-2009, 12:31 PM

He only has one Ukulele.

I'm doing it wrong then. I am in possession of three (2 concert, 1 soprano), with one (soprano) en route.
Then there's the additional two in the house that are my husband's (1 concert, 1 soprano) though the is a vintage Kay that would need work to be genuinely playable again.

CountryMouse
10-25-2009, 01:36 PM

He only has one Ukulele.

Me too, doin' it wrong. I consider myself a beginner too (I've been playing 2 months), and I have three sopranos now. I'm savin' for a Mainland something...concert? Maybe!

CountryMouse

kiddfixit
10-26-2009, 03:19 AM

He only has one Ukulele.

Sadly, I resemble that remark.

djny
10-26-2009, 03:40 AM

He only has one Ukulele.

That's me!

CTurner
10-26-2009, 05:00 AM
I only came by to look at this thread out of curiosity. I don't have a problem. With ukuleles. With acquiring more ukuleles, I mean. I mean, if I had a problem, I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about or acquiring them, right? But that's no problem for me. I can stop any time I want. And if I don't want to stop any time then I won't. But my life is full and meaningful....I mean, I'm in control and know how to manage myself. But none of you poor people are like me, I'm sorry for each and every one of you, but I'm not like any of you....

buddhuu
10-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Every online musical instrument community I've been part of recognises the same basic affliction. For tin whistles it's WhOA Syndrome (Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Syndrome), for ukulele it's UAS, for mandoins it's MAS, for guitars it's GAS...

What is it about musical instruments that means you can't have just one (except maybe grand pianos)...? :D

ukecantdothat
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Me too, doin' it wrong. I consider myself a beginner too (I've been playing 2 months), and I have three sopranos now. I'm savin' for a Mainland something...concert? Maybe!

CountryMouse
If this helps, I just recorded with my new Mainland mahogany gloss concert. Here's a link to a rough demo of the song. A bit heavy on the reverb for the uke, but you get an idea. It plays great, BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0bMTOulfTM

Ukulelerob
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I saw a video about a Sponge Bob Uke, I think by JT, and I had to run to ToysRUs and buy one. Have I got it too?

ukecantdothat
10-26-2009, 11:14 AM
I saw a video about a Sponge Bob Uke, I think by JT, and I had to run to ToysRUs and buy one. Have I got it too?
Yes, if you're talking about that First Act one, then you got it waaaay bad. I asked my seven year old if he wanted it and he made a face and said, "It looks plastic. What about that pineapple version you read about? That looked cool..." I think he's got UAS, now.

Skrik
10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
With my triplets on their merry way from Romania (http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20327), I considered my UAS cured. Then I realised that I still won't have a concert scale ukulele.

So it goes.

Teek
10-27-2009, 09:44 PM
What stage is it where one starts thinning the herd for an upgrade to customs? Where you um, actually have less in number, but they're all more expensive??

Lori
10-28-2009, 08:11 AM
For me, I might be getting closer to that point. But only because I am running out of room in my 750 sq ft apartment. But, we are reorganizing, and I have made a dedicated area for my current collection of ukes. I must say, I really like each uke I have bought so far, and each is unique in both look and sound. So, I would have a hard time parting with any of them. But, I could see, if I had a rather generic looking/ dull sounding uke, I would be willing to give it up in favor of a better uke. I suppose if certain ukes were never played, that might be an indication that there are too many to really appreciate. So far, I haven't had that problem.

–Lori

funkyjedi
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Sadly, I resemble that remark.

yeah, I have one... but I did run to a local tobacco shop today during lunch and looked for a sturdy box...2 bones a piece unless you want the humdinger cedar.

i got 3 (one was the humdinger).

now a trip to the local woodcraft for some necks....

curses to you UAS!

I was fine with fly rods and watches....now this?

Pippin
11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I have not bought a new ukulele since July, but I've been tempted. :D