PDA

View Full Version : San Fernando Valley/LA area ukesters???

clayton56
10-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I have corresponded with a couple of uke players on this site who live (like me) in the San Fernando Valley, and we were thinking about meeting one of these days, and possibly making it a regular thing if it works out that way.

Anyone else have any interest in meeting other area ukesters? If so, please post and I'll PM you, or just PM me.

I'm allowing for a few weeks lead time so no rush.

Harold O.
10-23-2009, 05:55 AM
From other UU threads, I can see that the two hardest parts of getting a uke group started is setting up a regular time schedule and finding a convenient location.

There is a store in Canoga Park, on Topanga (just south of Saticoy), called Guitar Merchant that would be happy to host a regular uke jammer schedule. They even have a stage and recitals to make it more interesting.

So, we're halfway there already.

Let me know when you want to check it out and I will meet you there.

generem
10-23-2009, 08:21 AM
If I wasnt like 60 miles away.. I would totally be there

jinny
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Hello.
I'm in the valley.
:rock:

I don't know if my schedule will fit but I'd be willing to stop by any SFV group meeting. I should warn people tho, I've always played by myself for fun, so I have no idea how I would be in a group dynamic but I'm willing to try and at minimum, I'm really good as an audience. :p

Harold O already contacted me and informed me about the west hills group... hopefully someone will remembr to keep me in the loop abouit that. :)

shimpiphany
10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
and i'd be willing to join in as long as the times were traffic-friendly.

is there anybody else out there around pasadena or the east side/san gabriel valley that would like to get together?

my dad lives in Huntington Beach and it seems like there are at least 8 strumming groups within shouting distance, but none up here...

ukulelehoo
10-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Interested, I started a Ukulele Underground group so we can keep track of each other in my signature.

Lori
10-23-2009, 07:12 PM
If you are meeting on a weekend, I might be able to come. I am on the West Side, so I would be going "over the hill" to the Valley. It would be great to get together with some local ukers. Also, the Amy #2 by Bradford Donaldson is on it's way back to me, and it would be great to show it to some fellow players, and get their feedback on this prototype design. It has a custom concave back for added comfort. If you don't know about the Amy #2, check out this thread. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=173986#post173986

It should arrive in LA on Monday.

–Lori

Honu
10-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm in Panorama City... Just post and I'll come a running!!!:D

clayton56
10-25-2009, 11:46 AM
shameless bump to top

Lori
10-26-2009, 01:22 PM
So, the Amy #2 concert uke prototype is in Los Angeles again. If you want to plan a meet-up, I would be happy to bring it by and you can try it out. I would be happy to meet at Guitar Merchant. Are they open on Sundays? I usually spend much of Saturday visiting my Mom (she's 87 and lives alone!). So, anytime on Sunday would work for me, or late Saturday afternoon/ early evening.

–Lori

Honu
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM
This coming Sunday?

clayton56
10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I can't make it for a couple of Sundays, but I think that would be the best day/evening. Fewer people work and errands are usually done, and it's quiet.

The Guitar Merchant idea sounds good. I was thinking of trying for once a month on the same Sunday so arrangments can be made.

How does Sunday November 15 sound? If you guys want to do it sooner I can just come the next time.

If that's a good day/evening then we just have to pick a time.

Harold O.
10-28-2009, 02:47 PM
I talked with Guitar Merchant just now and he says this Sunday (November 1) will be great. Let's figure on about an hour or so starting at 1:30.

This will be a casual affair with no instructor. With some willingness on our (collective) parts, we can make this a monthly.

Guitar Merchant
7503 Topanga Canyon Blvd
Canoga Park, CA 91303

On the west side of the street, just south of Saticoy. PM me if you need more info.

Lori
10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I talked with Guitar Merchant just now and he says this Sunday (November 1) will be great. Let's figure on about an hour or so starting at 1:30.

This will be a casual affair with no instructor. With some willingness on our (collective) parts, we can make this a monthly.

Guitar Merchant
7503 Topanga Canyon Blvd
Canoga Park, CA 91303

On the west side of the street, just south of Saticoy. PM me if you need more info.

I'm in! And I will bring Amy #2 prototype along for those who might be interested. I suppose I should start a new thread with the announcement, so that those especially interested could try and make it.

What do you think?

–Lori

Harold O.
10-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Sounds good, Lori. Post where it will do the most good and we'll see what happens.

Harold O.
10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
From the look of things, we'll have about 8-10 people on hand Sunday. I just got a call from Mike McClellan (displaced islander) who says he's coming by with his son.

Anyone in the area is welcome. Mostly I'm thinking we'll hand out a few songs and see if we can keep together. Maybe some "show me what song you can play". And some chatter about how how to do whatever it is we don't know how to do.

And of course, the grand Los Angeles Amy boobalele #2 unveiling.

All good.

Lori
10-30-2009, 06:25 PM
That sounds like a good turnout!

I think boobalele is a bit undignified. She is a sweet uke, not broad or bawdy. I am not really into naming ukes, but Amy #2 is a good name, or perhaps Sunny. You will see. She is not a novelty uke, novel shape, yes...but classy.

This should be fun. See you all there!

–Lori

Honu
10-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Sounds good.. count me in!!!:D Any songs in particular that you would want to play? I'm not that good with memorizing chords yet. If you have any chords in particular you want to share and you send it by this afternoon, I can get it printed out (and maybe binded depending on how many songs we get :) )

jinny
10-31-2009, 07:46 AM
great... now, if I get a chance to get out there and see the gentle inward curve on Amy#2, I'll be thinking, "Oooo! boobs go in here."

clayton56
10-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Good going Harold O., have fun, and I'll catch you all next time...

Lori
10-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Remember to set your clocks back one hour tonight... Daylight savings time ends, and we go back to Pacific Standard time. Spring forward, Fall back!

–Lori

Honu
11-01-2009, 04:48 PM
It was nice finally meeting everybody. It was great playing a couple of songs, talking story, and trying out the protype. Not just for the ladies I might add!!!:D I hope we get to do it again soon.

Lori
11-01-2009, 05:24 PM
It was fun getting to see the faces that go with the names! I had fun too. The time just flew by. Glad I had my polar fleece with me though. That AC was too good. And it was really cool to see everybody's ukes and hear their stories. Thanks for the input on the Amy #2 design. I will pass on the info to Bradford.

–Lori

ricdoug
11-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Pics, or it didn't happen! Sounds like y'all had a fun time. Ric

Lori
11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
I could post some stills from the video, but I would want to get each person's permission before doing so. So, how about it Dennis, Jin, Harold, Mike, and "Mike's son"?

–Lori

ricdoug
11-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Pic's or it didn't happen! Ric

Honu
11-02-2009, 03:44 AM
That's no problem with me Lori:D

Harold O.
11-02-2009, 03:45 AM
I decided before hand that if we got six people, we'd call it a success. SUCCESS!

Lori shot a lot of video with us talking about Amy 2, but there were no still shots taken. Odd, I usually have a camera along. Post away, Lori.

It didn't take too long for us to get comfortable. None of us have much experience, but we could keep a decent rhythm and managed to find our way through a couple of sings. Our willingness to sing with each other helped quite a lot. None of us had done any of this before.

We'll set another date and do it again. Let's go with Sunday November 22.

jinny
11-02-2009, 04:12 AM
I had fun!

regarding me and pic posts... post away!

Lori
11-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Ok, here are a few photos. They were captured from video, but it gives you a general idea of the event. They are trying out the Amy #2.
–Lori

Honu
11-02-2009, 06:16 AM
I did not realize how happy I was having the Uke cradle my bossom like that... very odd.:D

ricdoug
11-02-2009, 09:09 AM
It happened! Nice. I'll be happy to E-Mail y'all the Ukulele Society of America songbook for song ideas. Ric

Lori
11-02-2009, 09:44 AM
It happened! Nice. I'll be happy to E-Mail y'all the Ukulele Society of America songbook for song ideas. Ric
Thanks Ricdoug, that would be very helpful! I will PM you my email address.

–Lori

Honu
11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Ric,

I work at a school and i can make copies and bind them for the group. I'll PM my email address to you too.

ricdoug
11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I got your PM, Honu, but you did not include your E-Mail. I'll gladly E-Mail you the files when you do. Ric

mailman
11-02-2009, 01:14 PM
You folks don't realize just how lucky you are! There are no uke groups where I live, and no other players I know of to get together with. :mad:

I'm officially jealous. :(

Harold O.
11-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Mailman -

I've been playing for a year now and have been trying (via UU) to get folks together since about January. It takes time to find people. Because of this forum, I've been able to keep my eyes open for the occasional post from someone "new" in my area. That tells me it's time for sending out another call for a gathering.

In that time, I grew acquainted with The Guitar Merchant, a local independent music store. My relationship with the owner has grown to the point that when I asked about getting some uke folks together, he was all for it. It took some trust for that to happen. He didn't even charge for the room.

We needed a place like Guitar Merchant for reasons obvious and not so obvious. On the obvious side, we need space enough for elbows, uke cases, music sheets to spread out, and family members to entertain themselves while the rest of us play (Jin's daughter is really something special). On the not-so-obvious side, it's a little weird going to someone's house that you don't know to play with people you've never met, having a handful of people you don't know at your house makes you feel you need to play host, and finding a house is often harder than finding a business location.

That said, we had the three P's in full bloom here. Patience, persistence, and passion.

mailman
11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Harold,

I'm really glad you've been able to get a group together. There's a huge difference, though, ukulele-wise, between southern California and western New York.

I've encountered other UU members from NY, but they're spread out all over the state....literally hours apart. I've found two in Buffalo (over an hour away), one in Syracuse (2 1/2 - 3 hours), a couple in or around Albany (more like 4 1/2 to 5 hours), and some in NYC (6 - 6 1/2 hours). One member lives nearby (across town), but we haven't met yet.

The only other players I've actually met both have busy lives....young kids, etc....and no time to get together even occasionally, let alone regularly.

Someday (hopefully) I'll find a group I can meet with....

jinny
11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
the picture of me tells me that I need a haircut.

PaulGeo
11-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Oh man... I'm sorry I missed this. I hope you folks can arrange another meet soon.
Thanks.

SuperSecretBETA
11-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Doh! I totally forgot about this.

Honu
11-03-2009, 05:13 AM
I just recieved a negative reputation regarding my last post. :(

While I can't control what others may think, I must admit that I can see why they chose to do it. Making copies during company time or wasting "tax dollars" is a jerk move on my part.

I will still be making copies for our little group, but I guess I'll be visiting a local Kinko's. I'll make a couple to bring next time.

By the way, if there are other songs we want to use that was not part of Ric's documents, please feel free to send it to me to add in the booklet.

Harold O.
11-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Honu - Don't sweat the neg rep. More god ones coming your way. :cool: And I think we all got Ric's (thanks Ric!) song book emailed, so no need for copies.

For anyone else in the area, we are trying to set up again for November 15 or 22.

Honu
11-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks Harold. I'll hold off on the copies until someone needs them:D

Ahnko Honu
11-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Nephew Honu, I just gave you a positive rep point to keep the balance in the universe. ;)

Honu
11-03-2009, 08:27 AM
I always knew we were related!!!:D

jinny
11-03-2009, 03:27 PM

While I can't control what others may think, I must admit that I can see why they chose to do it. Making copies during company time or wasting "tax dollars" is a jerk move on my part.

I will still be making copies for our little group, but I guess I'll be visiting a local Kinko's. I'll make a couple to bring next time.

By the way, if there are other songs we want to use that was not part of Ric's documents, please feel free to send it to me to add in the booklet.
Rep? I don't even look at that stuff. :o

I didn't even know what that was untill recently. :)

Harold O.
11-04-2009, 01:20 PM
After this post, we should move our notices to Regional Get Togethers.

I talked with Guitar Merchant today and set Sunday November 22 aside for the next uke meet. We have the room from 1:30 to 3:30. My guess is that we could show up a little early and face no conflicts. But at least we have two hours reserved - that room gets used a lot around the holidays.

As you might suspect, the group is open to all levels.