San Fernando Valley/LA area ukesters???

clayton56

Reaction score
I have corresponded with a couple of uke players on this site who live (like me) in the San Fernando Valley, and we were thinking about meeting one of these days, and possibly making it a regular thing if it works out that way.

Anyone else have any interest in meeting other area ukesters? If so, please post and I'll PM you, or just PM me.

I'm allowing for a few weeks lead time so no rush.

From other UU threads, I can see that the two hardest parts of getting a uke group started is setting up a regular time schedule and finding a convenient location.

There is a store in Canoga Park, on Topanga (just south of Saticoy), called Guitar Merchant that would be happy to host a regular uke jammer schedule. They even have a stage and recitals to make it more interesting.

So, we're halfway there already.

Let me know when you want to check it out and I will meet you there.

Hello.
I'm in the valley.
:rock:

I don't know if my schedule will fit but I'd be willing to stop by any SFV group meeting. I should warn people tho, I've always played by myself for fun, so I have no idea how I would be in a group dynamic but I'm willing to try and at minimum, I'm really good as an audience. :p

Harold O already contacted me and informed me about the west hills group... hopefully someone will remembr to keep me in the loop abouit that. :)

i'm in the pasadena area

and i'd be willing to join in as long as the times were traffic-friendly.

is there anybody else out there around pasadena or the east side/san gabriel valley that would like to get together?

my dad lives in Huntington Beach and it seems like there are at least 8 strumming groups within shouting distance, but none up here...

If you are meeting on a weekend, I might be able to come. I am on the West Side, so I would be going "over the hill" to the Valley. It would be great to get together with some local ukers. Also, the Amy #2 by Bradford Donaldson is on it's way back to me, and it would be great to show it to some fellow players, and get their feedback on this prototype design. It has a custom concave back for added comfort. If you don't know about the Amy #2, check out this thread. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=173986#post173986

It should arrive in LA on Monday.

–Lori

So, the Amy #2 concert uke prototype is in Los Angeles again. If you want to plan a meet-up, I would be happy to bring it by and you can try it out. I would be happy to meet at Guitar Merchant. Are they open on Sundays? I usually spend much of Saturday visiting my Mom (she's 87 and lives alone!). So, anytime on Sunday would work for me, or late Saturday afternoon/ early evening.

–Lori

I can't make it for a couple of Sundays, but I think that would be the best day/evening. Fewer people work and errands are usually done, and it's quiet.

The Guitar Merchant idea sounds good. I was thinking of trying for once a month on the same Sunday so arrangments can be made.

How does Sunday November 15 sound? If you guys want to do it sooner I can just come the next time.

If that's a good day/evening then we just have to pick a time.

I talked with Guitar Merchant just now and he says this Sunday (November 1) will be great. Let's figure on about an hour or so starting at 1:30.

This will be a casual affair with no instructor. With some willingness on our (collective) parts, we can make this a monthly.

Guitar Merchant
7503 Topanga Canyon Blvd
Canoga Park, CA 91303

On the west side of the street, just south of Saticoy. PM me if you need more info.

I talked with Guitar Merchant just now and he says this Sunday (November 1) will be great. Let's figure on about an hour or so starting at 1:30.

This will be a casual affair with no instructor. With some willingness on our (collective) parts, we can make this a monthly.

Guitar Merchant
7503 Topanga Canyon Blvd
Canoga Park, CA 91303

On the west side of the street, just south of Saticoy. PM me if you need more info.

I'm in! And I will bring Amy #2 prototype along for those who might be interested. I suppose I should start a new thread with the announcement, so that those especially interested could try and make it.

What do you think?

–Lori

From the look of things, we'll have about 8-10 people on hand Sunday. I just got a call from Mike McClellan (displaced islander) who says he's coming by with his son.

Anyone in the area is welcome. Mostly I'm thinking we'll hand out a few songs and see if we can keep together. Maybe some "show me what song you can play". And some chatter about how how to do whatever it is we don't know how to do.

And of course, the grand Los Angeles Amy boobalele #2 unveiling.

All good.

That sounds like a good turnout!

I think boobalele is a bit undignified. She is a sweet uke, not broad or bawdy. I am not really into naming ukes, but Amy #2 is a good name, or perhaps Sunny. You will see. She is not a novelty uke, novel shape, yes...but classy.

This should be fun. See you all there!

–Lori

Sounds good.. count me in!!!:D Any songs in particular that you would want to play? I'm not that good with memorizing chords yet. If you have any chords in particular you want to share and you send it by this afternoon, I can get it printed out (and maybe binded depending on how many songs we get :) )

great... now, if I get a chance to get out there and see the gentle inward curve on Amy#2, I'll be thinking, "Oooo! boobs go in here."

Good going Harold O., have fun, and I'll catch you all next time...

Top Bottom