PDA

View Full Version : At what cost Koa??

taylordb
10-23-2009, 01:09 AM
I've been watching different tonewood sets for auction on ebay, particularly koa, and finally took a stab at bidding but was unsuccessful. Not really knowing the market for this, my question for those experienced in purchasing koa, for the following set of koa at what price would you say "that is the highest I would pay for that". Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250515578609

I know that the market determines the cost of things, and alot of it deals with "how bad to you want it?" But I'm just trying to get a general feel.

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Pete Howlett
10-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Not $200...

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-23-2009, 08:03 AM
If I were a private party building only a few ukes I would certainly pay that much, especially for a baritone set. Koa of that quality is exceptionally rare.

taylordb
10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
If I were a private party building only a few ukes I would certainly pay that much, especially for a baritone set. Koa of that quality is exceptionally rare.
Thank you Chuck, I was hoping you would be one who replied. I appreciate it greatly! I feel like I was on the right track.

Not $200...
Pete...I asked for guidance. From your response, I know you won't pay $200.....maybe you would pay $202, maybe $175? :rolleyes:

wearymicrobe
10-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Got to say I have paid a lot more then that for sets near that quality. Koa is not easy to find like that and 200-400$ for a 5A+ set would not be out of the norm if you must have it.

Matt Clara
10-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Pete...I asked for guidance. From your response, I know you won't pay $200.....maybe you would pay $202, maybe $175? :rolleyes:

You say that as though he owes you something. $200 is more than he would spend. What's so hard to understand about that?

EdLew1s
10-24-2009, 02:22 AM
If you go on curlykoa.com, It is a whole lot cheaper. U dont have to pay $200

Matt Clara
10-24-2009, 03:21 AM

That's a fantastic resource. Thanks for pointing it out!

taylordb
10-24-2009, 03:30 AM
You say that as though he owes you something. $200 is more than he would spend. What's so hard to understand about that?
He owes me nothing, I completly realize that. I asked for guidence. Saying "not $200" tells me nothing (other than he thinks its too much...I can figure that out, I'm not that dense). If I could not offer someone guidence, I simply wouldn't reply. I appologize if you were offended by my reply.

taylordb
10-24-2009, 03:58 AM

Thanks so much for the link!!! I appreciate your help.

RonS
10-24-2009, 05:46 AM
He owes me nothing, I completly realize that. I asked for guidence. Saying "not $200" tells me nothing (other than he thinks its too much...I can figure that out, I'm not that dense). If I could not offer someone guidence, I simply wouldn't reply.

We are on the same page Taylor.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-24-2009, 07:20 AM

It's not all all the same wood. Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct's best offering is a set of AAA koa for $60. It's probably worth that. A master set of AAAAA curly koa would easily sell for $200. The difference between AAA and AAAAA is day and night.

Pete Howlett
10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I've just had a good look at curlykoa.com and it seems to me that he has brought the price of his koa down. If it is a first build you are going to do, get your wood from Steve.. That eBay auction is a nice but very expensive set to make a mistake on...

Ahnko Honu
10-24-2009, 10:04 AM

Mahalo Ed, great deals here. I especially like the Pheasantwood sets. Pheasantwood is extremely rare and beautiful. I had a small piece I gave my luthier friend to use for a bridge, and headstock on my custom super concert pineapple. A whole 'ukulele made from Pheasantwood would be simply breathtaking.
http://www.curlykoa.com/pheasantwoodukeSets
http://www.forestnursery.com/images/pheasantwood.jpg

RonS
10-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Mahalo Ed, great deals here. I especially like the Pheasantwood sets. Pheasantwood is extremely rare and beautiful. I had a small piece I gave my luthier friend to use for a bridge, and headstock on my custom super concert pineapple. A whole 'ukulele made from Pheasantwood would be simply breathtaking.
http://www.curlykoa.com/pheasantwoodukeSets
http://www.forestnursery.com/images/pheasantwood.jpg

I never heard of this wood before, thanks for the picture.

I see its also called SENNA siamea (Caesalpinioideae)

ecosteel
10-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Remember this wood from college, a long time ago, AKA Partridgewood In the UK. Beautiful stuff, a bit like Lignum. Just buff it to polish. Don't think I'd make a whole uke out of it on account of the grain being all over the place but good for fretboard, bridge head veneer, pegs inlays.

taylordb
10-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I've just had a good look at curlykoa.com and it seems to me that he has brought the price of his koa down. If it is a first build you are going to do, get your wood from Steve.. That eBay auction is a nice but very expensive set to make a mistake on...

Good advice.....It's a trait of mine to go a little overboard when I 1st get into something. I don't know if that's a bad thing or not. But with that set I would have been smart enough to put it away for a later time. It was beautiful.....too bad I didn't get it :(

I do have some ideas in my head that will use koa as the main wood, with cocobolo and maybe some subtle accents using purple heart. I will surely look hard at Steve's koa though.

RonS
10-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Remember this wood from college, a long time ago, AKA Partridgewood In the UK. Beautiful stuff, a bit like Lignum. Just buff it to polish. Don't think I'd make a whole uke out of it on account of the grain being all over the place but good for fretboard, bridge head veneer, pegs inlays.

Thanks ecosteel.

I was wondering if these where the same woods. So I did some research last night.

From what I could find Pheasantwood Caesalpinioideae and Partridgewood Millettia stuhlmannii are sub species of the larger family Leguminosae.

Wenge Millettia laurentii is also part of the family Leguminosae. So all three woods are closely related

Dave Higham
10-26-2009, 01:40 AM
That original seller has some even more extraordinary sets for sale.

ukantor
10-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Golly-gosh! Those look wonderful:drool:

Ukantor.