Traveling Uke

molokinirum

Reaction score
Looking for some UU advice. Getting close to Christmas time and I figure now is the time to ask for and hopefully get a uke that can go traveling with me. Currently have a Kamaka which stays in the house. I am looking for a uke that can go outside, to the beach, visit friends even in bad weather. (live in the North East) The price range is around $100 or so. Any help or ideas would be great! Thanks!!:)

Let me be the first to say it....

...get a Flea or a Fluke...they are a little more than you wanted to spend, but these are exactly what you are looking for.

Kala makes a very good Travel Uke for about $130 via MusicGuyMic, here at UU. He does a lot of business from eBay and has FREE shipping on this model (Soprano) and on the Kala Tenor Travel as well ($150).

I've had mine for about 3 weeks and bring it with me everywhere. The gig bag is substantial in that it is very form-fitting (for the soprano at least), and with the slim form factor it very easily slips into my open top carrying bag.

I'm not sure about its "weather-ability", but I live in Seattle. I haven't yet played it in the rain, however, I do plan on taking it to our annual Greeklake gig in mid-December with freezing temps and minimal overhead covering (read tent). My other ukes have handled it in the past so I'm not worried about bringing the Kala Soprano Travel uke to this event.

Hopefully, some of our more "outdoorsy" members will chime in with their suggestions.

Here's a little ditty you might enjoy:

http://www.4shared.com/file/128254437/a5e2ad9/Its_Insane_to_be_without_a_Uke.html

Keep uke-in'

Two thoughts:

1. When you think about it, ANY $100 uke is inherently not all that valuable, and thus is a viable choice for travel, outdoor playing, etc.

2. A Flea or Fluke will give you pro-quality action and intonation in an extremely rugged instrument that's built to take abuse. Might be worth the extra hundred bucks.

Great ditty Rod!!! :) The price and sound of that travel uke is hard to resist!

As others have shared the Flea costs more, but the combination of ruggedness, playability, and sound makes it a great choice.

If the budget is fixed, then any full laminate uke in your price range from MGM will serve you well. MGM's setup will make the most difference at the $100 price point.

I'll post another word of praise for a fluke or a flea. These things are real tanks. If you look hard enough you could find a used one right around your budget.

The other thing I looked at is the new plastic bodied makala dolphin ukuleles. They're about 50 shipped from MGM, and sound like the perfect knock around.

I spent a little more and went with a used fluke over the makala, and it was worth every penny.

My Flea is the best travel uke!

It goes with me regularly to elementary music classes. I really appreciate having a durable uke with a good sound & outstanding intonation.

I know it seems like a lot of money, but it really is worth the extra $$ to have spunky looks, excellent intonation & projection in one hardwearing package. You'll pick up your Flea and play it again & again. People who buy them rarely seem to part with them, which is why used Fleas for sale don't seem to surface very often.

Top Bottom