. . . so I did it

scottie

Reaction score
Okay, so I got 'it'. . . 'it' being my first uke.

I went to Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh. Steve had a bunch of Lanikai, some of those cheap $35.00 specials, an old Gibson without strings that needed to have some cracks repaired, and some Collings ukes, most notably the UT-1. He din' have no flukes.

I ended up spending the majority of my time comparing the Lanikai CK-T of which he had several, A similarly priced Lanikai tenor in flamed maple, a solid mahogany Concert, and the Collings.

I ended up with the CK-T, I paid $260, This uke can certainly be had for less elsewhere, but I got to pick the best of several, and I stayed under $300.00, which was important. I did pop $50.00 for a case and 20.00 for a Planet Waves tuner.

The CK-T a nice looking laminate curly koa Tenor uke with a single abalone ring rosette, rosewood fingerboard, wood binding, and closed backed gear tuners. The fingerboard is also bound. It came strung with Aquila Nylgut of I bought an extra set. Fit and finish are about what you'd expect for a $250.00 instrument. . . noticable flaws in the execution but not too bad. Don't get me wrong, it's not a POS or anything, it's just a nice starter instrument :)

My experience reinforces the idea, especially when you're buying cheaper instruments, that it's best to be able to be there to actually try the instruments you're considering buying. I played three, CK-T's one of which was unacceptably dead in the upper range. Additionally, I made sure they were all tuned equally and compared based on sound, problem areas, and intonation. Simply put, this uke sounds pretty darned good for what it is. It's nice and loud and punchy, and it'll make a good starter uke and a pretty darned good busker 'cause it's not some fragile lil' thing that'll wilt at the first Harley Davidson that drives by and drowns it out.:D This uke will fight the Harleys, this uke will stand up to street noise, and most importantly, this uke is servicable and will be a good one to experiment on until I decide to spring for the Collings,:drool: which is a beautiful uke with which I'm now familiar and will be a logical next step.

I chose Tenor because I like the size best. . . plenty of room to play around annd. . . can you say 9 fret span . . . . I'm going to be lovin' this.
:smileybounce:

Okay, so I got 'it'. . . 'it' being my first uke.

I went to Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh. Steve had a bunch of Lanikai, some of those cheap $35.00 specials, an old Gibson without strings that needed to have some cracks repaired, and some Collings ukes, most notably the UT-1. He din' have no flukes.

I ended up spending the majority of my time comparing the Lanikai CK-T of which he had several, A similarly priced Lanikai tenor in flamed maple, a solid mahogany Concert, and the Collings.

I ended up with the CK-T, I paid $260, This uke can certainly be had for less elsewhere, but I got to pick the best of several, and I stayed under $300.00, which was important. I did pop $50.00 for a case and 20.00 for a Planet Waves tuner.

The CK-T a nice looking laminate curly koa Tenor uke with a single abalone ring rosette, rosewood fingerboard, wood binding, and closed backed gear tuners. The fingerboard is also bound. It came strung with Aquila Nylgut of I bought an extra set. Fit and finish are about what you'd expect for a $250.00 instrument. . . noticable flaws in the execution but not too bad. Don't get me wrong, it's not a POS or anything, it's just a nice starter instrument :)

My experience reinforces the idea, especially when you're buying cheaper instruments, that it's best to be able to be there to actually try the instruments you're considering buying. I played three, CK-T's one of which was unacceptably dead in the upper range. Additionally, I made sure they were all tuned equally and compared based on sound, problem areas, and intonation. Simply put, this uke sounds pretty darned good for what it is. It's nice and loud and punchy, and it'll make a good starter uke and a pretty darned good busker 'cause it's not some fragile lil' thing that'll wilt at the first Harley Davidson that drives by and drowns it out.:D This uke will fight the Harleys, this uke will stand up to street noise, and most importantly, this uke is servicable and will be a good one to experiment on until I decide to spring for the Collings,:drool: which is a beautiful uke with which I'm now familiar and will be a logical next step.

I chose Tenor because I like the size best. . . plenty of room to play around annd. . . can you say 9 fret span . . . . I'm going to be lovin' this.
:smileybounce:

Awesome man, congrats! My friend has the CK-C, which is the same thing but concert-sized. His came with Aquilas too. Nice instrument, and a good choice for a starter since you won't have to upgrade for a while. They look great too, particularly the rosette and the binding.

I know you said you bought an extra set of Aquilas, but when string change time comes around you might consider putting either flourocarbons (Worth, Fremont) or nylons (Hilo, etc) on it, just to see what sorts of sounds different string materials are capable of bringing out of the ukulele. I actually find it easier to do string experiments on ukes; as there's only 4, they're quicker to change if you end up being displeased (yeah, I'm lazy!)

Have fun with your new ukulele!

I really only bought an extra set 'cause in case I break one, although that's not all that likely but still. . . .

He didn't have any of those other brands. I'll have to do some web shoppin'

Congrats...pictures?

That's great! Since you had the opportunity to try every uke in the store, it works out even better for you. That way you came out knowing more about the instrument than you did at the start, could rely on your own feel and ear, and were able to see the exact uke before you bought.

That Lanikai is a nice mid-priced ukulele and should last as long as you want it to.

Congrats, Scottie!

:cheers:

JJ

Congratulations - Great that you got to try a bunch and then make your pick. Have Fun!

Congrats scottie, I'm sure you'll enjoy your purchase. I prefer Aquila strings on my laminate top 'ukuleles, they make them sing!

I'm really enjoying it, played it all day yesterday and practiced this morning for a couple of hours, I had to go meet a friend for lunch and, for some reason, I'm really tired so I'm off to have a nap, more playing when I wake up.

Top Bottom