Neck Patterns and Quality Wood Rasps

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
ok ok...I'm gonna start shaping my necks more, or at least experimenting with it. More than that, I'm gonna pony up, get a block of wood and try to do a one piece neck.

I can always borrow a bandsaw, but I dont have any patterns for necks. I can always wing it, but was looking for some guidance before I do. I also need quality wood rasp. I dont need the Bentley of rasps...maybe like a honda accord, or nissan.

thanks homies

The blueprint is in French. Measurements are in Millimeters.

1 millimeter = 0.0393700787 inch

for clarification...I dont need a fret calculator lol. You've all seen me make fretboards :) I was just prodding for basic neck dimensions.

Last edited:
so whats the difference between a rasp and a file?
In my mind a rasp is like a fine cheese grater? and a file is just steel sandpaper of sorts?

So how many files and whatnot would I need?

course, medium and dead smooth? but when you tell me, you gotta distinguish between which is rasp and which is file.

The micro plane type of rasps is imo prone to digging grooves in the wood. They are holed like cheese graters. My favorite files are pferd, they're so sharp you need a glove on your left hand or the pressing thumb will look like an open book of red pages...

Saw pferd on a US site, if I find a link again I'll post it. These files give a surface like glass if you push the file straight.

Sven

Top Bottom