Ovation Applause Ukulele

mikesurfer

Reaction score
Everyone who says the Ovations suck ARE WRONG!!! I'm sick of the :spam:. :bowdown: Ovation rules! :bowdown: If your getting one make sure to put on Aquila strings- they definitely make the sound quality at least 50x better.

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

typically the only people that say ovation sucks are people with the simple preference of a traditional instrument and sound vs the roundback innovation and the variance of sound. Its not that they say Ovation doesnt make quality instruments...they say that Ovation sucks, because its a "change" in tradition that they do not prefer.

I am not an ovation hater, nor am I an ovation fan...I am pretty indifferent. They make good stuff, but not necessarily my style.

I have to admit...they look pretty cool...And the sound is pretty good too (I have heard one live)...no complaints here.

I have as well... but that is probably just because they are very ugly.

Okay, not going to lie, they look pretty scary bad in pictures. But the instrument is actually pretty attractive in person. And yes, Aquilas help a TON to make the sound better...waaay better than the stock strings, and considerably better than Hilos. I wouldn't go as far to say that they're better than ukes in the $700+ range, but yes, the Applause ukes are pretty good if you're willing to go non-traditional.

Everyone who says the Ovations suck ARE WRONG!!!

That's a fact, Mike. I perform several times weekly with an Ovation Ap0plause UAE20 acoustic/electric soprano. I've been offered good money for my old stained black one and refused. It takes over a year to break one in till it "opens up" and I'm still breaking in my second one. They suck when new and tinny sounding. That's why many negate them, but once they're broken in everybody wants them. Neither of mine are for sale! Ric

o_O. You need to break them in?! Maybe I need to leave mine in front of the amp more. (Artificial breaking in.)

The intonation on my UA10 is way off (very flat). I treat it like a beat-up now.

Make sure you plug them in they sound 10 x better amp'd. ;)

You have to play them regularly, Jon. Ric

I really should. Either that or I should take the 9V battery out. I don't think I've played it in like a month or two now. The thing is that I bought the Ovation when I wanted an active pickup for effects and amplification and it served that purpose very well. But recently, I got a Fishman Matrix installed in my Kanilea. So the Ovation has been sadly neglected in the corner with my similarly untouched (and very overrated) martin backpacker guitar for a while now. I'll bring it out and play it for sure, this weekend. :)

Ugly and overpriced and they don´t even sound adequate straight from the box? So, where is the point? I´ll never get it. :(

It's only my first, but I like the sound on my applause. What I don't like is the curved back is difficult to hold while standing. it tends to slide down even on my beer belly.

I never liked Ovation guitars because they don't sound like what I like, which is wooden guitars. Many people like them. I'm not many people. Al DiMeola has been seen in public with them, but then again, he's an elegant gypsy so I guess he's entitled.

If you like one buy it. . . I won't insult you. . . even if you. . . . . :biglaugh:

I have an Applause Uke and I think it's great!

For the record, I own Martin and Ovation guitars (plus a few other brands) and I have a problem deciding which one I like better.

Top Bottom