The Moore Bettah Experience

uluapoundr

Reaction score
Disclaimer: Just a word of warning, this is going to be a long story with lots of pics.

About a year ago I was fortunate enough to visit Chuck Moore's shop in Opihikao, about 40 minutes away from my home. With cash in my paypal account, I was hoping to make a purchase. Lucky for me, a customer bailed out of a custom order and I went home with a beautiful tenor, see my youtube review, link on signature. I asked myself, how could I have not known such a great luthier lived in my back yard. Months later, I went back to Chuck's to have a MiSi pickup installed in the uke and got to see some of his latest projects, simply amazing! I kept saying, Moore Bettah Ukuleles is Hawaii best kept ukulele secret.

I had dreamed of having a custom uke of my own built by Chuck. I drooled over his gallery pics and dropped in on his website from time to time to see if there was anything for sale, which there was, but at the time, I was not in a financial situation to purchase another MB, but I still held on to my dream of having one built.

Chuck and I developed a friendship, which was easy given his friendly nature and ever so unique sense of humor. Chuck gave me advice on business and even helped me get started on my business website.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to visit Chuck once again, this time to check out an uke he was building for Henry (Hankthetank). We had a great time, putting a short video together which was sent to Henry that day, father's day.

After seeing Henry's uke, I was certain that I was going to ask Chuck to build me an uke. On yet another visit to his shop, I had he opportunity to select the wood. Growing up working in a koa shop, I've had an extreme passion for the wood, and picking one set was not an easy task, everything looked so good. The next visit to the shop was to discuss with Chuck ideas for the uke build. Being an artist myself, I didn't want to put too many demands on Chuck as the builder, knowing that most artist work best when they are allowed to let their creative juices flow. Seeing his previous work, I had the utmost confidence in his work, discussed some ideas, and left the rest up to him.

Fast forward a few weeks down the road, and numerous emails. I got an email from Chuck of the koi to be inlaid followed by emails of the soundhole preparation and then the soundhole with the inlay.

MooreBettahKoi.jpg

soundholerosette.jpg

soundholeprep.jpg

soundholeinlay.jpg

Part 2 coming in a minute.

Last edited:
Part 2

More weeks went by, I finally get an email that says "Pictures", I was excited to say the least. I quickly opened the files to find the following pictures:

blurry1.jpg

blurry2.jpg

blurry3.jpg

blurry4.jpg

Part 3 to come.

Part 3

blurry6.jpg

After viewing the pics, I realized that I had been the victim of Chuck's humorous wrath!

More weeks went by and this time the update was on a fretboard inlay of my middle name "TAKEO".

mispelledfret.jpg

I might not be the best speller, but something looked wrong to me. When I emailed Chuck back, he told me that "TAKOE" was his American Indian name, or something to that effect. I noticed that the inlays were just laying in the fretboard and once again, I was the victim of humorous wrath!

More time went by and I get an email that the fretboard was done. Chuck sent me another email and this time he promised it was a clear picture of the fretboard, which it was.

undersidefret.jpg

It was a clear picture alright, a clear picture of the underside of the fretboard. The wrath continues!!

More weeks go by and the anticipation of the build is so tense that I find myself checking my emails every few hours..why? You got me! Perhaps it was the slim chance that I would get an email with real pics. I continued to get updates saying it was a matter of just a few weeks before the uke would be done. Then, emails saying the uke was just about done. And then, an email saying "the fat lady has sung". I arranged to meet Chuck on Friday, today, at 9:00 am. I was up by 5 am this morning despite going to sleep at about 1:30 am.

Part 4 to follow.

Part 4

As I drove out to Chuck's home, I continuously checked my email and Facebook page. Chuck said he would post pics, but over a day went by with no pics. As I neared his home, the cellphone reception was lost, which I knew from being to his home on numerous occasions.

I was greeted by Chucks two dogs and then by the man himself, my friend, the humorous one, Mr. Chuck Moore. One of the first things Chuck asks me is if I got the emails and saw the pics on Facebook. I laughed at his humor, but this time he seemed serious. I confessed that I had been checking my phone all the way to his home till I lost reception. He swore that he sent emails and posted pics. He showed me on his laptop, and I noticed that he had posted the pics three minutes before...just as I was driving in his driveway, busted!!

Chuck goes on to tell me that he had trouble with the ukulele pickup and that he had a friend working on it but that he would bring it by in an hour or so. My heart sank a bit, I was all ready to see the ukulele! So, to kill time, we go into his shop and he starts opening cases showing me his latest batch of ukes, simply amazing!! I got to strum them all, impressed by his workmanship, but all the while thinking about my uke! The suspense was killing me!

Chuck hands me the last case and I open it up, to my surprise, there she lay in all her glory!!! I was speechless!! I didn't want to cry, but I have to admit, I did get chicken skin! As I pulled her out of the case, I knew that no words out of my mouth would do justice! I was simply blown away! Everything I wanted on the ukulele was there, and more!

Here she is:

lk1-1.jpg

lk3-1.jpg

lk4-1.jpg

Part 5 to follow

Last edited:
Part 5

lk5-1.jpg

lk7.jpg

lk8-1.jpg

Each item inlaid has symbolism, "Takeo" my Japanese middle which ties in to the bamboo inlays since "Takeo" means bamboo. The family crest on the fretboard, my family crest. And the koi, a symbol of love and resilience in Japanese culture.

The uke not only is a work of art, the sound is breathtaking. I have had the opportunity to play many nice ukuleles, customs included, and I must say, the ukes that Chuck builds are second to none. That's my biased yet accurate opinion.

I share this experience with a heart of gratitude and to give praise where praise is due. I consider myself blessed to not only have such beautiful instrument, but to have made a wonderful friend along the way! Chuck, Mahalo Nui Loa!!! I will treasure this for my lifetime.

Last edited:
Best thread in the history of UU!

Haha, I am literally balling right now. This is such a Chuck way to do things!

Congrats to you and what a beautiful instrument!

OH! I almost forgot! I DEMAND a video from you! ;)

Last edited:
I've been blown away looking at every one of chuck's builds...I crapped my pants after seeing the first one, but it was so good that I just sat in it while I went through his entire gallery:) It was well worth the subsequent rash!

The humorous antics make me wanna buy one even more...if he only made them for about $50 I'd be set!

Oh my!!! That is a think of beauty. I would probably encase it in glass and never play it!

Thanks for sharing this experience! The whole process is really cool to watch, how your uke is cut, and made and finally put together. I also wish that one day Chuck could make me a custom uke as well. One day....:rolleyes:

Ho'omaika'i, omedetou, sugoi, awesome, WOW, not enough words to decribe. :eek:

Would you mind sharing a close up picture of your kamon?

Ahnko,
Here you go! Note the string change to Savarez Alliance. I have to admit, we did a comparison and the Aquila strings sounded really good on this uke. The clarity and sustain was very close with the Aquila possibly having a bit fuller sound. As the uke breaks in, I'll determine which strings will stay on the uke.

koimoncloseup.jpg

That seems like such an awesome experience! What a beautiful piece of art. I bet it sounds like heaven.

I really don't want to be the one to ask how much it cost....so I'm not going to ask you HOW MUCH IT COST....

I am curious though bc I have been saving up for a "K brand" but am thinking that I may be better off to keep saving for one of these. Unfortunately, I don't think my UAS will allow that to happen. I have an extreme case flaring up and don't think I have enough ointment to cool the burning for that kind of time. One day Chuck....one day....

Congrats though, beautiful instrument, I hope you cherish it forever...

Eh, Laron - da buggah look ono. I no mind gettin one from Chuck, but I like get one from Aaron too. Auwe, as why hahd wen no mo kala.

Just to add to my first post.

Chuck, as soon as I had your custom in my hands I'd have to kill you for the pain you've inflicted during the build!

Does the claim of "intentional infliction of emotional distress" mean anything to you????;)

Note the string change to Savarez Alliance. I have to admit, we did a comparison and the Aquila strings sounded really good on this uke. The clarity and sustain was very close with the Aquila possibly having a bit fuller sound. As the uke breaks in, I'll determine which strings will stay on the uke.

koimoncloseup.jpg

What Laron is trying painfully hard to avoid admitting is that Aquilas are indeed the best strings ever made!
As far as the price goes, I put Laron on the easy payment plan for the next twelve years. In the time being I'll take good care of his truck.

I always say "someday" I'll have Chuck build a custom for me...now I really know it. Chuck's pranks speak to me...

Top Bottom