What's that and what's it doing here?

SailorQwest

Reaction score
I've spent most of my life believing that for many reasons I could not play a musical instrument. When my wife ask me to try to learn the Ukulele I was very skeptical. But I tried it and I found I really enjoyed playing. Even if I wasn't very good it was FUN! :D
So I kept at it.

Maybe it was because I was in my 50s when I started, but for a long time every time I saw the Uke I thought "What's that?" and "What's it doing here?" Subconsciously I knew that I did not and could not play an instrument, so why was it here?

Time went by and I don't have that reaction when I see it anymore, but when I pick it up I am still a little amazed that I know how to play it. I am even more amazed and pleased when I realize that I really enjoy listening to myself play, it's just so COOL!

Its been about 3 years, I'm not great, but I have A LOT OF FUN!
:smileybounce: So Anyone else experience this?

Yes. I've just started playing in the last month or two and so am still getting comfortable with the uke. Some days I can't put it down, and other days it seems to be taunting me ("You can't really play me that well, can you?"). I can hear myself progressing, and the callouses are starting to form on my fingers, so it's all good.

Same here. Just started learning to play and seem to play the uke everyday. Getting better still have a LONG way to go but....having a boatload of FUN!:)

Picked one up when I was 46. Never thought I'd ever "get" a stringed instrument. Guitars were always so frustrating to me and I was amazed when the uke came so easily for me. It's been two years and a day doesn't go by without me picking one up. It has become a very important part of my life.

I've spent most of my life believing that for many reasons I could not play a musical instrument. When my wife ask me to try to learn the Ukulele I was very skeptical. But I tried it and I found I really enjoyed playing. Even if I wasn't very good it was FUN! :D
So I kept at it.

Maybe it was because I was in my 50s when I started, but for a long time every time I saw the Uke I thought "What's that?" and "What's it doing here?" Subconsciously I knew that I did not and could not play an instrument, so why was it here?

Time went by and I don't have that reaction when I see it anymore, but when I pick it up I am still a little amazed that I know how to play it. I am even more amazed and pleased when I realize that I really enjoy listening to myself play, it's just so COOL!

Its been about 3 years, I'm not great, but I have A LOT OF FUN!
:smileybounce: So Anyone else experience this?

I smiled when I read this...yes, I've definitely felt that before. I started playing the guitar in 1997, and for many years I suffered from very low confidence in my abilities, to the point where when folks asked me if I played I'd go, "not really, just mess around." It's this gradual thing where you're not really sure when it happens exactly, but one day you realize that you're a musician. Now a days my musical confidence is high and I wouldn't hesitate to get in front of folks and play.

You're right though, it's good feeling when you realize you're starting to get good. You've made it past the hardest part too, which is the initial learning curve. Now it's all gravy...:D

I smiled when I read this...yes, I've definitely felt that before. I started playing the guitar in 1997, and for many years I suffered from very low confidence in my abilities, to the point where when folks asked me if I played I'd go, "not really, just mess around." It's this gradual thing where you're not really sure when it happens exactly, but one day you realize that you're a musician. Now a days my musical confidence is high and I wouldn't hesitate to get in front of folks and play.

You're right though, it's good feeling when you realize you're starting to get good. You've made it past the hardest part too, which is the initial learning curve. Now it's all gravy...:D

I still have to tell myself "You Are a Musician!". Then I smile.:D

I've been playing the uke for one year... EXACTLY one year... just bought a new uke to celebrate my anniversary!! Anyhoot, I was always intimidated about music theory, playing in front of people, and spiders. I'm still scared of spiders. But playing in front of other people, NO PROBLEM!

I started at 45yo and have now been playing a little over a year and I feel that way every time I pick one up, I think to myself why didn't I try this sooner!!!!

Now that I am learning to play guitar and get frustated I have to remind myself how I felt when I picked up my first Uke.

How's life in the VI treating you?
It's snowing here!!!

+1. I didn't feel too secure when I played the guitar. When I went to hang at the book store to get pointers from the other players, I'd get nervous and start to sweat if too many cutomers gathered around to hear us play.
But the uke seems to bring out the beast in me! I'll take it anywhere and play in front of friends and family. Hmm...I wonder if the guitar society at the book store will still let me hang with them?:p

Either my Lanikai Pineapple or my Ohana Sopranino are always out of their case and sitting in the living room. I'll learn a few riffs or a song online and spend an hour or so practicing.
Ernest

Picture073.jpg

I started at 45yo and have now been playing a little over a year and I feel that way every time I pick one up, I think to myself why didn't I try this sooner!!!!

Now that I am learning to play guitar and get frustated I have to remind myself how I felt when I picked up my first Uke.

How's life in the VI treating you?
It's snowing here!!!

Yes!
It's not so much a confidence thing as it is spending 40+ years thinking you can't do something, then finding out you can. I'm not that afraid of playing in front of people. I just have a hard time wraping my head around the fact that I can play!
Why didn't I try this sooner!!!?

BTW it's 88 and sunny. Did you know I lived in FC for 20 yrs ?

What's freaky is when you've one of your ukes in your clutches, absently noodling, and you suddenly realize you don't remember even taking that particular one out of its case.
This happened this morning. No inebriation involved. I'd been messing about with one of my others.

BTW it's 88 and sunny. Did you know I lived in FC for 20 yrs ?

Yea I found that out during last years Hurricane Season, I chatted with your other half a bit, I used to live on STX as a Dive Inst. and worked as boat crew in the Bahamas for a while.

You got to love the Front Range weather... yesterday was 65 and sunny today snow all day!!!!

Enjoy that sun and sea a little for me!!!!

I wanted nothing more than to play the ukulele when I was 8 years old, but wasn't allowed to. Finally, 35 years later, I got around to making it up to my deprived inner 8-year-old. :)

I sit and play along with YouTube videos of our UU friends, with recordings, or with the band in my head and have MUUUCH more fun than I ever did playing in bands professionally. I'm not that great at uke, but at least a clam on ukulele is a lot easier to take than, say, a violin.

My wife looks at this behavior as something between a midlife crisis, therapy for an unusual childhood, or a mere "kick" I've been on, but she is thankful for one thing: I haven't tried to sing very often. :rolleyes::D

bassoonist turns to the ukulele

The ukulele has magic in it!!!! I am a music teacher and have played bassoon since I was 13...I am now 33 and quite good at the bassoon (I went to college for it and everything ;)) But it wasn't until I got my Ukulele a little over a year ago that I really started to feel like a musician....and the funny thing is I am not nearly as good at my uke as I am the bassoon...but I have even started thinking of myself as a uke player. I don't know if it's because I can sing while I play, or because I can be more creative because I am playing chords instead of one lonely bassoon note at a time or that it is just generally a more social, happy-go-lucky instrument....but it makes my heart sing every time I pick it up. Thanks so much for this great thread was ...hope I wasnt too sappy and cheesy.:eek:... I always try to tell people it is never to late to become a musician....I am so glad so many people on here are learning that it's true.

Last edited:
My wife looks at this behavior as something between a midlife crisis, therapy for an unusual childhood, or a mere "kick" I've been on, but she is thankful for one thing: I haven't tried to sing very often. :rolleyes::D
Your wife should be happy for you. For some guys, a midlife crisis involves buying a red Porsche or going to strip clubs.

Uke is a relatively inexpensive pasttime (well, unless you get seriously bit by UAS). Odds are you won't get arrested for uking while drunk in your own house, and at least your wife knows where you are and that you aren't out womanizing.

My husband's a big WoW addict. His subscription is $15/mo. which works out to 50 cents a days, or just pennies per hour the way he plays it.

The ukulele has magic in it!!!! I am a music teacher and have played bassoon since I was 13...I am now 33 and quite good at the bassoon (I went to college for it and everything ;)) But it wasn't until I got my Ukulele a little over a year ago that I really started to feel like a musician. .

My older brothers & sister all played in the Jr High & High school bands, so I did too ( drum then baritone). But I wasn't good and I never though of myself as a musician. Now with the Uke I do! I can play almost anything and sing along... sorta.

Thanks for sharing

What a fantastic topic! I'm 43 and picked up the ukulele in the last year. I played the French horn in the middle school band and really enjoyed it, even though I had always wanted to play the trumpet. As a kid, I'd listen to my Grandpa singing and playing his Martin guitar. I thought, one day maybe I can play the guitar like him. I am now the keeper of Grandpa's Martin. I've tried playing guitar, and it always seems to frustrate me. One day, I saw a ukulele video on the internet and it just made me smile. I searched out more info and noticed how much fun everybody seemed to be having. Also, I thought that maybe four strings would be easier than six, so I took the plunge, bought a cheap uke and never looked back. I'm having fun, strumming, humming along, occaisionally singing along. I guess that's all that matters. I keep Grandpa's Martin guitar sitting out so I can see it. Every day it seems a little less intimidating and every now and then I pick up the guitar and fumble around. One day I'll play one of those Grandpa used to sing, but I'll probably play it first on my ukulele.

Top Bottom